Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

republic-side tanks in pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
republic-side tanks in pvp

Tausr
01.25.2013 , 08:36 AM | #1
What are the pros and Cons of the three tanks and play-styles(does not have to be a tank spec, hybrid and dps specs too)

Vanguard, Guardian, Shadow?

I plan to level a tank soon and wanted more information/opinions.

I do like stealth characters so i am leaning towards a Shadow, but since i lack information on the other 2 i figured i would try and get more information

(also please try and keep the flaming/herpderp smash jokes to a minimum)

Thanks for the help!

cycao
01.25.2013 , 08:45 AM | #2
I would say guardian is the most mobile tank and best for actually tanking. Most jugs (at least the ones I know) run a hybrid into the middle tree (not sure what it is for guardian) to get unstoppable which makes it the best ball carrier for huttball imo. It is almost unanimous that VG tank sucks. The shadow is nice has a pull, force speed, out of stealth 2 sec kd but most people run dps gear and really don't "tank" anything in warzones.

ArchangelSolo
01.25.2013 , 08:48 AM | #3
Shadow tanks are probably the best I would say. I have a Guardian Tank and a Vanguard Tank, both have Campaign Black Hole suit bonuses. I have played with Shadow tanks in OPS and they steam aggro all the time. Shadows put out some majot damage while also having great defensive type stats. Guardians are ok tanks, however I notice tat weh tanking mobs, you cannot stay focused on one main target as a Guardian. AOE taunts work momentarily, you will need to tab all over the battlefield and hit the mobs and try and keep aggro. My Vanguard tank is a way better as the Sonic round and nueral jolt are great at getting and keeping aggro. However I see Shadows dominate the field becasue the ppower they put out. Make sure yout tanks are hybrid spec'd a little so that you hits are somewhat powerful this helps a tank keep aggro. Do not use the whole shield spec or (whatever tree that is leaning toward a tank). Maks suer you spend some points in the other trees Noxxic.com is a great resource for ya!

ArchangelSolo
01.25.2013 , 08:52 AM | #4
Wow completely dissagree with the second post about Vanguard tanks. I have been complemented a lot for my Vanguard tank. IT is all how you play and gear your tank. Sorry for all the spellin errors in the original post. Just fyi.

Technohic
01.25.2013 , 08:55 AM | #5
/squints Not sure how to take post in PvP section about tanking in OPs......

Tausr
01.25.2013 , 09:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
/squints Not sure how to take post in PvP section about tanking in OPs......
No, I want to TANK in WARZONES, thus a tank thread in PvP. Sorry i didnt clarify better in the main post.

Also to everyone else Thank you for your quick replies!

itsmymillertime
01.25.2013 , 09:04 AM | #7
Read this:

http://www.tankingtor.com/2012/06/ov...html#pvpglance

and I stack defense so when people try to hit me, they miss.

Easpeak
01.25.2013 , 09:14 AM | #8
For pure tanking I'd say Guardians, because of the CC and multitude of leaps.
Easpeax
Maedex
Heff
Remnax

Technohic
01.25.2013 , 09:19 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tausr View Post
No, I want to TANK in WARZONES, thus a tank thread in PvP. Sorry i didnt clarify better in the main post.

Also to everyone else Thank you for your quick replies!
Sorry. I meant in regards to the 2 poster above my post where they seemed to be basing their advice to you on OPs tanking. There are just things that do not carry over.

LarryRow
01.25.2013 , 09:38 AM | #10
Guardians are definitely boss for pure tanking, with Shadows being effective as well. Vanguards rely very heavily on shield, which can get negated pretty easily in pvp (some attacks are not shielded, and attacks with a high crit chance will diminish your shield chance).

The other issue is that certain specs are more effective than others. If you're a Vanguard, assault is the really powerful spec. For shadows, tank hybrid in dps gear is the really effective spec for guarding nodes and 1v1 fights, and does decent in group play too. Guardians have that Focus tree going for them, but a well-played guardian tank can bring just as much if not more to a team as Focus. (A lot of it depends on whether you have a healer to protect)

For your Guardian tank spec, you will be looking at going up the middle tree to get commanding awe, overhead slash and potentially force rush. Go up to stasis mastery in the Defense tree.

You asked about cons and I will say that Guardians can have frustrating resource management. Not sure about cons of pure shadow tanks in pvp to be honest. Most people run the hybrid thing, which as I said is not really useful for protecting your allies so much as it grants you a potent mix of protection, damage and utility that can be very effective in warzones.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.