Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.26.2013 , 07:06 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
also, lucasfilm is really no more and has zero say in anything. disney owns everything star wars and they have final say over everything. disney is a for profit big hollywood studio and their only concern is how much money the film with bring in. disney doesnt care about star wars anymore than viacom cared about star trek.
Well you kind of answered the question to your own concern, we've established that J.J. definately won't have total control and as you said Disney owns everthing and has the final say J.J. is an employee not the boss.

Its been said since the beginning of all this that the new movies would be original stories, stories that have been in the writing process by Arndt long before todays confirmation of Abrams and since it has been referred to as Episode VII obviously some continuation of the chronological order.

Even if they were crazy enough to let .J.J. or any director make the decision how many people do you think would be happy about a reboot over a continuation of this story?

Let's keep in mind directing this movie comes with consequences it could make Abrams a hero or just as easily destroy his career.

Also I disagree with the statement that Disney doesn't care about the property obviously they are a business that wants a return on their $4 billion investment, but I think Lucas chose them specifically because of his close relationship with Kathy Kennedy and because they have an excellent track record for increasing the success of their aquisitions like Pixar and Marvel.

Can't say how this will play out ultimately, but I think Disney was the best choice imo.
Squadron: 1020 367

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.26.2013 , 10:02 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
Well you kind of answered the question to your own concern, we've established that J.J. definately won't have total control and as you said Disney owns everthing and has the final say J.J. is an employee not the boss.

Its been said since the beginning of all this that the new movies would be original stories, stories that have been in the writing process by Arndt long before todays confirmation of Abrams and since it has been referred to as Episode VII obviously some continuation of the chronological order.

Even if they were crazy enough to let .J.J. or any director make the decision how many people do you think would be happy about a reboot over a continuation of this story?

Let's keep in mind directing this movie comes with consequences it could make Abrams a hero or just as easily destroy his career.

Also I disagree with the statement that Disney doesn't care about the property obviously they are a business that wants a return on their $4 billion investment, but I think Lucas chose them specifically because of his close relationship with Kathy Kennedy and because they have an excellent track record for increasing the success of their aquisitions like Pixar and Marvel.

Can't say how this will play out ultimately, but I think Disney was the best choice imo.
well, to be clear, i am not saying that i think JJ is going to reboot star wars or remake a new hope or anything like that. i am saying, whatever has been leaked or said before JJ and his production company were handed the keys to star wars doesnt mean much. for the same reasons everything that was said about what star trek was going to be didnt mean much because he scrapped it and did want HE wanted to do.

he has proven that he doesnt care one bit about canon or a franchise. his star trek movie is an example of that. but more importantly, his own statements and comments he has made since being given the keys to the star trek movie franchise make it clear he could care less what has come before or what will come after. his only care is making the movie he wants to make and how he wants to make it.

what makes you think disney cares about star wars in the same way that lucas does? they dont. they care about star wars the same way paramount/viacom/cbs corp cares about star trek. its just a money making machine and that is all. disney wont care what JJ does to the movie as long as it makes money. i dont doubt it will make money, just like his trek movie made money. but it wont really be a star wars movie for the same reasons his trek movie isnt really star trek. it will be a generic fluff action movie, nothing more than that. and im sure it will have the same cheap look that trek had.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.27.2013 , 01:03 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
well, to be clear, i am not saying that i think JJ is going to reboot star wars or remake a new hope or anything like that. i am saying, whatever has been leaked or said before JJ and his production company were handed the keys to star wars doesnt mean much. for the same reasons everything that was said about what star trek was going to be didnt mean much because he scrapped it and did want HE wanted to do.
Your argument is thin and contradictory, on one hand you say Disney owns everything and has the final say on the other you say JJ has been handed the keys to do whatever he wants suggesting he could potentially overule whatever plans that have already been established or are in motion.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that Disney is handing full control of their $4 billion investment to a director they employ.


Quote:
what makes you think disney cares about star wars in the same way that lucas does? they dont. they care about star wars the same way paramount/viacom/cbs corp cares about star trek. its just a money making machine and that is all. disney wont care what JJ does to the movie as long as it makes money. i dont doubt it will make money, just like his trek movie made money. but it wont really be a star wars movie for the same reasons his trek movie isnt really star trek. it will be a generic fluff action movie, nothing more than that. and im sure it will have the same cheap look that trek had

What you suggest is that Lucas abandoned his kid at some random strangers door step with a note attached.

No company can care for Star Wars the way Lucas does it's his lifes work and legacy, but he's also aknowledged as he's gotten older that it needs new energy to move forward and he chose Disney specifically and atleast in my opinion when you weigh it against the other companies like Fox, Paramount or Universal etc, Disney is the most logical safest choice given their track record.

..but my biggest problem with your argument is that you speak in this de fac-to tone as if you have some inside track on how this is all going to play out and you ignore the fact that Star Trek was well recieved by most fans and critics.
Squadron: 1020 367

Rabenschwinge's Avatar


Rabenschwinge
01.27.2013 , 02:55 AM | #84
Now, that's something to be excited about...

Does anyone have a clue when the Star Wars timeline movie will be set?
Right after the movies?
30 years later so you can give the original actors, particularly Harrison Ford, short appearances? (Not sure whether the audience wants to see old Han Solo, though)
In a distant future so it doesn't clash with existing novels?
Will it override the novels completely, adapt themes from it and tell a new story (such as the Yuuzahn Vong) or tell a completely new story, ignoring existing material?
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

KEKHAN's Avatar


KEKHAN
01.27.2013 , 04:51 AM | #85
I'm very happy, when it was announced Disney had bought the rights I thought 'Wouldn't it be great if they could get someone like Abrams directing that', his films have been quality and he loves SW. I think we are lucky to have him Directing it.

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
01.27.2013 , 04:55 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
Now, that's something to be excited about...

Does anyone have a clue when the Star Wars timeline movie will be set?
Right after the movies?
30 years later so you can give the original actors, particularly Harrison Ford, short appearances? (Not sure whether the audience wants to see old Han Solo, though)
In a distant future so it doesn't clash with existing novels?
Will it override the novels completely, adapt themes from it and tell a new story (such as the Yuuzahn Vong) or tell a completely new story, ignoring existing material?
From the tidbits I've read, forget everything you know about the EU, it won't exist.

Last I read, the trio were in discussions about reprising their roles. Can't imagine the triplets having a significant role in the next film, other than some closure, and the passing of the baton, so to speak. Either way it materializes, the fact we'll have more Star Wars films, can only be a good thing.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.27.2013 , 06:35 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
..but my biggest problem with your argument is that you speak in this de fac-to tone as if you have some inside track on how this is all going to play out and you ignore the fact that Star Trek was well recieved by most fans and critics.
Exactly. Mate, your talking bantha poodoo. How do you know so much about Disney, Abrams and Bad Robot - and everything else?

Who told you Disney doesn't give a damn about Star Wars?

Who told you J.J Abrams doesn't give a damn about Star Wars? Has total control of everything and wants to make the film bad because he's a self-hating lunatic who wants to ruin own his career?

And where on earth did you get the idea that Lucasfilm (the co-producers) have no say in anything anymore? Did I miss something? Have they gone into administration?

And like Hardwear says, your completely ignoring the hugely positive reviews that Star Trek recieved from just about everyone. Or are you saying they're opinion counts for nothing? Bad 'generic fluff' action movies don't get nominated for, and win Oscars - do they?

I understand that your a Trekkie fan and are angry that Abrams didn't stay true to the original Star Trek image but that doesn't mean you can start hating on him before he's made a single move concerning Star Wars. And I can't stress enough that Star Wars is a completely different story. Its not a reboot because there's nothing that needs rebooting, its set in stone (and I mean set in stone) that next Star Wars films are going to be Episode VII, VIII IX. The writers have already been picked for the next episodes, the started writing the story before Abrams even got picked, (the key word there being 'picked' - Lucasfilm chose him, not the other way round.) Lucasfilm have made an official announcement. Nothing has been 'leaked' - its official. (Did that happen with Star Trek? Of course it didn't because Star Trek doesn't have its own company to make an announcement - all you heard where rumours which of course aren't set in stone) It's on paper, done and done.

And remember, Bad Robot are the co-production company. Co-production. It says in the press release that J.J Abrams is the co-producer. The other producer being Kathleen Kennedy, the Chairman of Lucasfilm. Which means that Lucasfilm have half if not more control over the production of Star Wars than Bad Robot. So where your getting the idea that Lucasfilm have been sidelined I don't know. Its bizzare. And Disney funnily enough actually do care about a franchise they've invested $4 billion dollars into. Just like they cared about Marvel which they invested $4 billion dollars into. Strangely enough they want it to do well which means it has to be popular with the mass public and the fans. Otherwise its success will be shortlived. Very shortlived. Or are you suggesting bad films do better than good films now? And don't even get me started on George Lucas and the whole list of other consultants involved in this project. Abrams is gonna be like a Yoda puppet producing this film.

Phrase's Avatar


Phrase
01.27.2013 , 08:20 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post


And where on earth did you get the idea that Lucasfilm (the co-producers) have no say in anything anymore? Did I miss something? Have they gone into administration?

Actually, to support your post, during the film clips interviews with Lucas when this was first announced, Lucas said he'll continue to consult on scripts and retain creative control through his right to veto story ideas. Plus, his daughter is actively involved with the franchise.

I think the sale to Disney was a move to breathe new life into the franchise and to release some of the burden on Lucas as the sole creative force.

Sixgun
The Bastion

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.27.2013 , 08:30 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Phrase View Post
Actually, to support your post, during the film clips interviews with Lucas when this was first announced, Lucas said he'll continue to consult on scripts and retain creative control through his right to veto story ideas. Plus, his daughter is actively involved with the franchise.

I think the sale to Disney was a move to breathe new life into the franchise and to release some of the burden on Lucas as the sole creative force.
And Lucasfilm itself are still producing Star Wars (that is there sole purpose as a company :P)

But yeah I agree, giving Star Wars to new people, including Abrams and Bad Robot is a good thing. Good to see new faces and new ideas in the franchise. But I also think its important to keep Lucas involved. He may have lost his way a bit in the prequels, but in terms of lore he knows how it should be done. I mean the only place he could have said to have gone wrong on that account in the prequels is the introduction of midi-chlorians - but personally I have nothing against that.

Shadojack's Avatar


Shadojack
01.27.2013 , 12:28 PM | #90
Gods above, spirits about, and demons below please do not let this happen.
This guy has already destroyed one of the finest sci fi series ever created and turned it's prime hero into a drunken frat boy. Do we really want him tampering with Star Wars?

One the other hand he does have experience with genocide, planet destruction, and douchebag hero's with daddy issues so then again you never know.
Travel light, travel fast, and keep moving.