Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.26.2013 , 07:13 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Caspian_Rho View Post
What a ridiculous conclusion - The prequels were hated every bit as much by the mainstream audience as they were by the hardcore fans. The only difference being the mainstream flock such as yourself moved on...
Your sig tells all. You sir, are a Star Wars snob.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.26.2013 , 10:59 AM | #62
Lucasfilmhave officially announced that J.J Abrams will be directing Star Wars. There's an interesting article up on their website now.

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.26.2013 , 01:00 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Lore-Master View Post
This guy is the worst choice to direct the next Star Wars film....he made Star Trek the movie...wow dang Trek fans are everywhere nowadays. Star Wars must be directed by someone who respects the entire saga of Star Wars. And let that Abrams stick with Star Trek because he would destroy the new Star Wars movie given the chance. Trek directors like him needs to stay away from the WARS ( Any Star Wars Based Franchise )!!!


I think this is unfair and carries the undertone of Star Wars vs Trekkies this isn't a competition.

Of course there are Trek fans everywhere the franchise is almost 50 years old, more than a decade older than Star Wars and most fans and critics agree that Abrams did a fantastic job on Star Trek.

I was particularly impressed how he was able to capture the essence and chemistly of the original cast especially Kurt Urban's portrayal of McCoy was spot on.

To say that Abrams is bad for Star Wars, because he doesn't respect the saga and will purposely destroy it if given the chance is irrational.

On what grounds do you base this on?

With that said I'm not saying Abrams can do no wrong or even that he's the absolute best choice for the job, but he's by far not the worst choice either.

Imagine waking up to read the headline "Michael Bay To Direct The Next Star Wars Movie"!

Imagine the $*&#storm that would have created, but ultimately there is no director dead or alive who would satisfy everyone.
Squadron: 1020 367

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.26.2013 , 01:32 PM | #64
first off, abrams is not a film maker, he makes movies not films. there is a dif between the two. 50 years from now, star wars will still be viewed as an important film and will be apreaciated by film makers and film historians. JJ's star trek movies will be forgotten and not even talked about. the same will be true for his star wars movie.

second, abrams has already shown that he has ZERO respect for any franchise. he rebooted/reset star trek because it was the easiest thing for him to do. if he cared about the franchise or was actually a great filmmaker, he would have developed new characters as the base future movies on. but he is a hack and lazy, so he just ripped off the original trek characters and wrecked them as well as demolishing all trek cannon and lore.

he will do the same to star wars if he is given the chance. the only thing star wars fans can hope is, disney + whats left of lucasfilm didnt give abrams total control of the movie, especially the story.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.26.2013 , 01:53 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
first off, abrams is not a film maker, he makes movies not films. there is a dif between the two. 50 years from now, star wars will still be viewed as an important film and will be apreaciated by film makers and film historians. JJ's star trek movies will be forgotten and not even talked about. the same will be true for his star wars movie.
This is opinion and guess-timation and you are entitled to it, but you don't know who's going to think what in 50 years.

Quote:
second, abrams has already shown that he has ZERO respect for any franchise. he rebooted/reset star trek because it was the easiest thing for him to do. if he cared about the franchise or was actually a great filmmaker, he would have developed new characters as the base future movies on. but he is a hack and lazy, so he just ripped off the original trek characters and wrecked them as well as demolishing all trek cannon and lore.
You think Abrams made the decision that the last Trek movie would a reboot?

Really?

Quote:
total control of the movie, especially the storyhe will do the same to star wars if he is given the chance. the only thing star wars fans can hope is, disney + whats left of lucasfilm didnt give abrams
It's was confirmed not long after the news broke that George Lucas was selling the franchise to Disney that Michael Arndt would be writing the screenplay also Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg will be consulting.
Squadron: 1020 367

Jack_Deth's Avatar


Jack_Deth
01.26.2013 , 01:59 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Lucasarts have officially announced that J.J Abrams will be directing Star Wars. There's an interesting article up on their website now.
Lucasarts is a game company, why would they announce who is directing a movie?
Sorcerer | Sniper | Sentinel | Vanguard | Juggernaut | Scoundrel | Mercenary | Sage

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.26.2013 , 02:01 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
first off, abrams is not a film maker, he makes movies not films. there is a dif between the two. 50 years from now, star wars will still be viewed as an important film and will be apreaciated by film makers and film historians. JJ's star trek movies will be forgotten and not even talked about. the same will be true for his star wars movie.

second, abrams has already shown that he has ZERO respect for any franchise. he rebooted/reset star trek because it was the easiest thing for him to do. if he cared about the franchise or was actually a great filmmaker, he would have developed new characters as the base future movies on. but he is a hack and lazy, so he just ripped off the original trek characters and wrecked them as well as demolishing all trek cannon and lore.

he will do the same to star wars if he is given the chance. the only thing star wars fans can hope is, disney + whats left of lucasfilm didnt give abrams total control of the movie, especially the story.
What bantha poodoo is this? Movie and film are the same thing, look it up in a dictionary. :P

And again, your not making any points. I could replace 'Star Trek' with any other thing and you would be saying the same thing. Just verbally attacking a different franchise.

How did he 'wreck and demolish' Star Trek lore? Last time I check he saved that franchise from a dull, dry death. Its fanbase is now bigger than ever, the film was critically acclaimed by just about everyone and was nominated for four Oscars among other awards. Its painstakingly obvious that the only people who didn't like it where the Star Trek snob minority. The funny thing is your shouting at the wrong person. Abrams didn't write the story, he didn't decided to do the reboot, he didn't even pick the actors, he just directed the film. So you can only complain about its cinematography, not the story, not the acting - making all your points null and void.

Yeah, I'm sure the only Star Trek film to ever win an Oscar will be forgotten real quick. I'm afraid it will be the other way round, this is what future generations will remember, and for good reason.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.26.2013 , 02:01 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Jack_Deth View Post
Lucasarts is a game company, why would they announce who is directing a movie?
Sry, meant Lucasfilm

OldVengeance's Avatar


OldVengeance
01.26.2013 , 03:30 PM | #69
I thought the JJ Abrams' Star Trek film was terrible. Star Trek is now a dopy action movie franchise. It's impossible to say how how he's going to affect Star Trek 7, but I don't have high hopes at all. And that's coming from someone who didn't mind the prequels.

But saying that he shouldn't direct Star Trek 7 because he did a Star Trek movie is silly. Mostly because it bore little resemble to "Star Trek" before. If anything it was more like a Star Wars film than a Star Trek film, only with a worse story and more plot holes.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.26.2013 , 04:07 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I thought the JJ Abrams' Star Trek film was terrible. Star Trek is now a dopy action movie franchise. It's impossible to say how how he's going to affect Star Trek 7, but I don't have high hopes at all. And that's coming from someone who didn't mind the prequels.

But saying that he shouldn't direct Star Trek 7 because he did a Star Trek movie is silly. Mostly because it bore little resemble to "Star Trek" before. If anything it was more like a Star Wars film than a Star Trek film, only with a worse story and more plot holes.
Think about what you didn't like about the film though. Abrams is not responsible for poor story. Did you like the cinematography? If yes, then great. If no then you have something to complain about.

This is what people seem to be forgetting. The director isn't responsible for the production of the entire film. The writer and the producer play a massive role too. And Abrams is neither of those. And even if he was in charge of the entire Star Trek movie. It doesn't matter. He's only directing Star Wars - so his directing skills are all we need to worry about.

Think on that. Please.

(Oh and I think you mean Star Wars 7, not Star 'Trek'. Unless your making a subtle dig there. )