Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

kevlarto
01.25.2013 , 03:28 PM | #41
Good news, as a Star Wars fan, I happy to know, there is new movies in the works, and being worked on by some one that said they were a huge Star Wars fan and they seem to understand just how huge the Star Wars IP is, there is a few good news stories out there wit hJJ talking about it.. good reads.
Do not dwell in the past, do not not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Expectations lead to suffering

Beniboybling
01.25.2013 , 03:52 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
right. good old JJ likes to cheap out on sets. i cant wait to see what new and exciting ways he can use a beer distilary as a set. because it worked so well and was so believable as the entrerpise engine room. also, really am excited to see his over explosed white washed ship interiors.

JJ is a garbage director and is really lazy. new star trek movie was horrid. only reason it passes for a OK movie is because most other star trek movies have been worse.
You just made me sad.

But that's OK because the reviews for Star Trek are actually quite excellent - 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. And most people believe he rescued that flagging franchise. Super 8 was 82%. and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was 93%. Admittedly however I've only seen Mission Impossible, but I really enjoyed that film. (I shall make it my mission to see Star Trek and Super 8) And he pretty much revived that series too. So I still have high hopes for this director.

And I also found this article interesting. This guy seems to praise Abrams use of CGI and his abilities altogether. And apologies I'm more inclined to agree with him than you. But again, we shall wait and see.

ImperialHippy
01.25.2013 , 04:14 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
You just made me sad.

But that's OK because the reviews for Star Trek are actually quite excellent - 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. And most people believe he rescued that flagging franchise. Super 8 was 82%. and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was 93%. Admittedly however I've only seen Mission Impossible, but I really enjoyed that film. (I shall make it my mission to see Star Trek and Super 8) And he pretty much revived that series too. So I still have high hopes for this director.

And I also found this article interesting. This guy seems to praise Abrams use of CGI and his abilities altogether. And apologies I'm more inclined to agree with him than you. But again, we shall wait and see.
JJ Abrams did not direct Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Brad Bird did. And rotten tomatoes is a bad source to use as there scores are based on how many reviews gave a positive review not how many gave 5/5. A mediocre film that everyone thought was ok would thus get a better RT score than a film that some thought was excellent and others hated.

Having said that i love the new Star Trek. Sure it aint like the old Star Trek but i shouldn't have been. It was a reboot after all. And to be fair it was more like a Star Wars film anyway, in that it was more focused on fun than hard core sci-fi. So another reason this deal could work well

Blackavaar
01.25.2013 , 04:23 PM | #44
J. J. Abrams is one step above such hack directors as Paul W. S. Anderson, Len Wiseman, Michael Bay and Uwe Boll.

I'd be more optimistic if they had put some nobody music video director in charge.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Hardwear
01.25.2013 , 04:33 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
Well, we've already seen a few scenes based on movie moments, I'd imagine we'd end up seeing a lot more.

Oh, and I also reckon we're going to see an imperial agent in the movie. Just because.
Yeah if you look at how the extended universe had an influence on the Chiss being included and allied with the Empire in ToR thats an example of how they do work elements into the game depite the huge timeline gap.
Squadron: 1020 367

Skodan
01.25.2013 , 04:52 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Hmmm, reading the replies it seems there's a mixed response on this front. However apparently Abrams doesn't like using CGI - which is definitely a plus. CGI-fests are partly what brought the Prequels down from their original heights. But IMO at least concerning Star Wars its more the writer and less the director that matters. And the writer choice is spot on excellent.

As usual, I trust that Lucasarts and Disney know what they are doing, as they have far more experience in this field than I ever will. But we shall see...
i agree with the mixed response, i see people talking about the lens flare effects from ST, and personally i liked the lens flares, and hope they are in E7. i think it makes space look less empty
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Hardwear
01.25.2013 , 05:08 PM | #47
There is a poll on Yahoo that asks..

""Is J.J. Abrams a good pick to direct the new Star Wars movie?"

Yes - 51%
No - 49%

Out of 2,562 votes

Almost 50/50
Squadron: 1020 367

Beniboybling
01.25.2013 , 05:56 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
There is a poll on Yahoo that asks..

""Is J.J. Abrams a good pick to direct the new Star Wars movie?"

Yes - 51%
No - 49%

Out of 2,562 votes

Almost 50/50
Very interesting... seems the same here too.

ImperialHippy
01.25.2013 , 06:05 PM | #49
I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

Sweet star wars pudding. At the very least we'll see some good duels, some stuff getting blown up and there will be lightsabers. I'll pay for that.

criminalheretic
01.25.2013 , 06:14 PM | #50
Yeah I'll take me some JJ Abrams. If it was Michael Bay I would have died a little bit inside...
What we don't understand, we can make mean anything.
Hyperspace Cannon -> Drooga's -> The Harbinger