Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear
01.25.2013 , 12:14 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by lasstn View Post
No, you do it because you dont understand that it is the same company.
As a BioWare fan since NWN I'm painfully aware that EA owns them.
Squadron: 1020 367

ChrisRedmond
01.25.2013 , 12:40 PM | #32
Perfect choice. All we need now is the plot tobe 'Han Solo before he was famous', with Tarantino writing the dialogue.
If you can't fix it, forget it.

ImperialHippy
01.25.2013 , 01:41 PM | #33
I think the main point to consider, and be thankful for, is that the franchise is in the hands of a fan. They could be a lot worse if they gave it to some big name hot shot who wanted to make some stunning blockbuster in their own style. I honestly think if JJ is taking the job that he will treat it with the respect it deserves and do a damn sight better job than Lucas ever did in the directers chair.

To me if you liked or hated his previous works is almost irrelevant. What most people complain about is the story, but the actual directing you have to admit is very good. Look at the pacing on the latest Star Trek, it remedied me so much of the Original Trilogy in the way the story was carried. For me, that was one of the biggest problems with the prequels, the pacing of the films was all off as there was no clear structure like with the originals.

Hopefully JJ will be able to bring back that old magic to the films and who else could? We need someone with a good understanding of how to direct a big sci-fi blockbuster but who is also an honest fan, and yes I do think only a proper geek will do!

My only concern is that there will be too manly similarities to Star Trek. Personally I'd like to keep thoes franchises separate and competitive.

Skodan
01.25.2013 , 01:43 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
Obviouly, but I'm just curious about what or if there will be an influence on content within the game based on what we will see in the movies.
probably not a lot, since the movies are based after the other movies, and BW said they arent putting things in that shouldnt be in, in this timeframe, which is why you dont see many things from the trilogies
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Themanthatisi
01.25.2013 , 01:57 PM | #35
One thig is going to be a fact, with Lucas out of the Director's seat, the acting shold most definitly improve. Its always nice to watch Empire Strikes back, because it had the best acting of the 6 movies....

Dkothla
01.25.2013 , 02:18 PM | #36
Maybe Han and Chewie will go back in time through some kind of wormhole shortly after the Death Star II blows up ... there by creating a new separate timeline where the prequels cease to exist ............

Path-x
01.25.2013 , 02:24 PM | #37
I will judge it when I see it. Personally I bet everything on the writers. If they will do a bad job then nothing or no one can save the film.

Though now that George will not be involved, the director might actually be a director unlike in ESB and ROTJ when they were just hired hands to work with actors. So I hope they picked a capable guy.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Beniboybling
01.25.2013 , 02:25 PM | #38
Hmmm, reading the replies it seems there's a mixed response on this front. However apparently Abrams doesn't like using CGI - which is definitely a plus. CGI-fests are partly what brought the Prequels down from their original heights. But IMO at least concerning Star Wars its more the writer and less the director that matters. And the writer choice is spot on excellent.

As usual, I trust that Lucasarts and Disney know what they are doing, as they have far more experience in this field than I ever will. But we shall see...

ekimmak
01.25.2013 , 02:48 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
Obviouly, but I'm just curious about what or if there will be an influence on content within the game based on what we will see in the movies.
Well, we've already seen a few scenes based on movie moments, I'd imagine we'd end up seeing a lot more.

Oh, and I also reckon we're going to see an imperial agent in the movie. Just because.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

MiaRB
01.25.2013 , 02:52 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Hmmm, reading the replies it seems there's a mixed response on this front. However apparently Abrams doesn't like using CGI - which is definitely a plus. CGI-fests are partly what brought the Prequels down from their original heights. But IMO at least concerning Star Wars its more the writer and less the director that matters. And the writer choice is spot on excellent.

As usual, I trust that Lucasarts and Disney know what they are doing, as they have far more experience in this field than I ever will. But we shall see...
right. good old JJ likes to cheap out on sets. i cant wait to see what new and exciting ways he can use a beer distilary as a set. because it worked so well and was so believable as the entrerpise engine room. also, really am excited to see his over explosed white washed ship interiors.

JJ is a garbage director and is really lazy. new star trek movie was horrid. only reason it passes for a OK movie is because most other star trek movies have been worse.
can't wait for this game to come out!