Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.29.2013 , 04:10 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryofo View Post
The fact you weren't a Star Trek fan is what made the movie watchable, however for those of us that are Star trek fans the movie was a disappointment to say the least. Having Abrams as director add the possibility of him doing the same to StarWars.

Careful not only are you suggesting that there is some type of seniority among Trek fans, but you are also speaking for me and countless other people who have been fans for decades.

Am I any less of a fan because I enjoyed the reboot and I don't see things the way you do?

Trek means different things to different people.

I know there are fans out there who are unhappy particularly with the time travel, alternate reality scenario, but as a long time trekkie I wasn't concerned about that especially when you consider the space/time continuum with Q and past movies like Generations which was clearly designed (at least from my perspective) to be just a passing of the baton from the original to the next generation.

I thought the plot in the reboot was passable, but not great, but I was way more concerned with character development and the cohesion between the central characters and as a reboot that's what I came to see.

I came to see how these very different personalities (quick thinking, rush in where angels fear to tread) Kirk, (cool calculating logical) Spock the far extremes, balanced by (a very simplistic yet antagonizing southern doctor striving to keep them both grounded) McCoy and how they came together with a supporting cast to become legendary.

Character creation and development is very important to me and it's something that has been sorely missed in the galaxy far far away since the original trilogy.

I think most of us will likely agree that acting and character development in the new trilogy was lacking despite the established talent, Samuel Jackson is probably best example of this of course he did an adequate job, but I always felt like he wasn't playing to his potential and not by his own fault.
Squadron: 1020 367

lazze's Avatar


lazze
01.29.2013 , 04:23 PM | #122
its all good him doing but what comes first star wars or star trek 3 ??......

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.29.2013 , 04:30 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
what will lucasfilm be doing? the post production elements from lucasfilm, such as ILM and Skywalker Sound, will be involed as always. but the main production of the movie, final script, how the story is told, actual production of filming, and so on are being done by Abrams and HIS production company. again, is the same thing as with the trek movie.

the point is, you and some others seem to think that this is another star wars film except abrams is there to just direct the actors performances.
You have no evidence to suggest this is the case. Whereas I have evidence to support my argument.

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.29.2013 , 05:02 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
if only what you believe were true. "under the banner" is hollywood speak for, Kennedy is representing disney/lucasfilm. it does not mean lucasfilm is the production company. this movie isnt being made by the same people who made any of the star wars films. thinking that this is another star wars movie made by lucasfilm with abrams directing/producing instead of lucas is just wrong.

if it really was like how you are wishing it was, then Abrams would just have been hired as director/producer and lucasfilm would be named as the production company. make no mistake, bad robot is the production company. so just accept that. if you enjoyed star trek, then you will enjoy the new star wars movie. for people who had problems with how the trek movie was done, they are going to have the same issues with the star wars movie.
Quote:
what will lucasfilm be doing? the post production elements from lucasfilm, such as ILM and Skywalker Sound, will be involed as always. but the main production of the movie, final script, how the story is told, actual production of filming, and so on are being done by Abrams and HIS production company. again, is the same thing as with the trek movie.

the point is, you and some others seem to think that this is another star wars film except abrams is there to just direct the actors performances.

Among all the other opinionated, guess-timation in your posts I found your latest conjecture highlighted in yellow the most interesting.

"make no mistake" "just accept it" "its the same thing as with the trek movie" Why? ..because you said so?

This is the internet and though I realize that people feel empowered by anonymity don't go thinking people will "just accept" anything you or anyone else says without some type of reliability, validity or citation to backup your argument.
Squadron: 1020 367

Kazmtyh's Avatar


Kazmtyh
01.29.2013 , 05:03 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
There is a poll on Yahoo that asks..

""Is J.J. Abrams a good pick to direct the new Star Wars movie?"

Yes - 51%
No - 49%

Out of 2,562 votes

Almost 50/50
A similar poll is running on ComingSoon.net with much different results.

What do you think of J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars: Episode VII?

Awesome news! May the Force be with him. - 56.1%
He'll do just fine, I'm not worried. - 24.6%
I'm not sure yet either way. - 11.1%
They probably could have gotten someone better. - 4.6%
Noooo! This is terrible news! - 3.7%

Total votes: 8618
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

RidgeBlader's Avatar


RidgeBlader
01.29.2013 , 05:27 PM | #126
I like Revolution, I like the Star Trek movie - I am not a Star Trek Fan. I think he will do a decent job, I hope he does a great job. I cannot wait to see the new film although I would still feel the same way if Lucas was at the helm.

I would have preferred to see Joss Whedon at the helm with Nathan Fillion cameoing as a smuggler in a busted freighter.
Success is measured in blood; yours or your enemy´s

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.29.2013 , 05:51 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Kazmtyh View Post
A similar poll is running on ComingSoon.net with much different results.

What do you think of J.J. Abrams directing Star Wars: Episode VII?

Awesome news! May the Force be with him. - 56.1%
He'll do just fine, I'm not worried. - 24.6%
I'm not sure yet either way. - 11.1%
They probably could have gotten someone better. - 4.6%
Noooo! This is terrible news! - 3.7%

Total votes: 8618
Thats a big increase in Abrams favor from the Yahoo poll.


Quote: Originally Posted by RidgeBlader View Post
I would have preferred to see Joss Whedon at the helm with Nathan Fillion cameoing as a smuggler in a busted freighter.
The chance of Disney pulling Joss off the Avengers in the midst of such huge succsess, not likey, but no lie a Joss Whedon directed Star Wars would have been interesting and now that you mention cameos you got me wondering if they follow the typical pattern there has always been a few old school Hollywood icons to fill certain roles.

Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Billy Dee Williams, Christopher Lee, Samuel Jackson

Who would fill these roles in these new movies?
Squadron: 1020 367

RidgeBlader's Avatar


RidgeBlader
01.29.2013 , 06:36 PM | #128
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
The chance of Disney pulling Joss off the Avengers in the midst of such huge succsess, not likey, but no lie a Joss Whedon directed Star Wars would have been interesting and now that you mention cameos you got me wondering if they follow the typical pattern there has always been a few old school Hollywood icons to fill certain roles.

Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, Billy Dee Williams, Christopher Lee, Samuel Jackson

Who would fill these roles in these new movies?
Yes, I know. It would have been great though. I still would like to see Harrison Ford, Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher all have cameo's. They are probably at the right age. I would love to see the Rock in there as a hard *** trooper or bounty hunter with Sean William Scott as his side kick
Success is measured in blood; yours or your enemy´s

Hardwear's Avatar


Hardwear
01.29.2013 , 06:45 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by RidgeBlader View Post
Yes, I know. It would have been great though. I still would like to see Harrison Ford, Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher all have cameo's. They are probably at the right age. I would love to see the Rock in there as a hard *** trooper or bounty hunter with Sean William Scott as his side kick
You mean as in The Rundown. LOL

Well I don't know about that, but they would definately fill the role of comic relief I can't even look at SWS withought thinking "stiffmiester " would take them over Jar Jar all day.

..but the rumor is Hamil, Fisher and Ford have all been contacted and Harrison Ford surprisingly showed great interest which is odd, because he wanted to see his Han Solo character killed off in TESB.

Just rumors though.
Squadron: 1020 367

Skodan's Avatar


Skodan
01.29.2013 , 07:36 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
You mean as in The Rundown. LOL

Well I don't know about that, but they would definately fill the role of comic relief I can't even look at SWS withought thinking "stiffmiester " would take them over Jar Jar all day.

..but the rumor is Hamil, Fisher and Ford have all been contacted and Harrison Ford surprisingly showed great interest which is odd, because he wanted to see his Han Solo character killed off in TESB.

Just rumors though.
i think he realizes he is getting too old for Indiana Jones, but he sees A LOT more $$$ with star wars, plus i feel like it could be passing the baton to the new characters.

i would love to see luke running the jedi academy and would absolutely LOVE seeing kyle katarn in at least one of the movies
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds