Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Shadojack's Avatar


Shadojack
01.29.2013 , 08:58 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Drudenfusz View Post
I didn't wrote revised, I wrote revived. The francise was already pretty much dead, and Star Trek 7 to 10 already ruined it. Those movies did already everything you blame J.J. Abrams for. He had picked up that pile and made something the Star Trek 7 to 10 movies just could get right.
My appologies you did write revived. My opinion still stands. If this is revived maybe it should have been left to rest in peace.
Travel light, travel fast, and keep moving.

CTFoxhound's Avatar


CTFoxhound
01.29.2013 , 09:49 AM | #112
I think this is a good move, I loved that star trek film and I never was star trek fan at all. Can't wait for the 2nd one either. Now from what I have heard the movie is most likely going to be pushed back to 2016 possibly 2017 which I am perfectly fine with.

Reason being, it's 2013 now and they have BARELY scratched the surface with this new movie, if it was to hit the first targeted deadline of 2015 I have a feeling the movie would be a disaster. I would rather wait longer and have it be godlike and a true revitilization of star wars than a mediocre half *****ed movie just to put the star wars name out there again just to try and make money.

We want a real film not some bs. Which we have gotten enough of, I'm sorry I know there are those "true" fans that can look beyond the flaws of the prequels but I cannot. I thoroughly hated episode 1 with a passion and did not like episode 2 either minus a few elements of it. Episode 3 however was justifying but it was not worth the fact we had to wait for the 3rd time's a charm motto and had to experience 2 horrible movies. (MY OPINION)

Themanthatisi's Avatar


Themanthatisi
01.29.2013 , 11:16 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
Thats an interesting little factoid I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it.

..but the story behind Hollywood's hatred for Lucas stems from a historic miscalculation or maybe bad judgment.

Sci-fi flix were not deemed very popular in the days before Star Wars became a reality and the only reason why George was able to even get any consideration is because of the notoriety he received from the success of American Graffiti.

Most of the major studios including Paramount had turned him down considering the project a risk, so when he asked FOX who ultimately agreed to fund the project he asked for rights to all the merchandising before the release.

The studio was probably like "yeah ok whatever" thinking Star Wars would never amount to much.

Star Wars went pandemic made a $#@*-ton of money like no one had ever seen and with that money from merchandising Lucas was able to buy back his intellectual property from the studio becoming the sole owner of the franchise and the rest is history.

..because of this no studio since has ever allowed a deal like that to be made no matter what they perceive the potential of the film to be
Great information! A young Lucas, was good... he was motivated and at that time, had little ego, which made for better movies.... But his time had to come to an end, EP.1 was all I needed to see to realize he lost his film making skills.

Fox made the same mistake IBM did with Bill Gates.....

Jarfunkz's Avatar


Jarfunkz
01.29.2013 , 11:31 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
Great information! A young Lucas, was good... he was motivated and at that time, had little ego, which made for better movies.... But his time had to come to an end, EP.1 was all I needed to see to realize he lost his film making skills.

Fox made the same mistake IBM did with Bill Gates.....
Are you kidding? ESB didn't have Lucas Directing and he was limited in that movie and it was by far the best of all of them.
VicVega

Groncho's Avatar


Groncho
01.29.2013 , 11:35 AM | #115
SWG2
so we can play a decent MMO
Ch
LATIN LOVER
Free Transfer??=

Ryofo's Avatar


Ryofo
01.29.2013 , 11:41 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by CTFoxhound View Post
I think this is a good move, I loved that star trek film and I never was star trek fan at all. Can't wait for the 2nd one either.
The fact you weren't a Star Trek fan is what made the movie watchable, however for those of us that are Star trek fans the movie was a disappointment to say the least. Having Abrams as director add the possibility of him doing the same to StarWars.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.29.2013 , 01:23 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNegotiator View Post
Where are you getting this from. Abrams has no role except director, Kennedy is the only producer. Lucas is a consultant and Disney can do whatever they want, including replacing them all if they like, Lucas Film exists in name only.
Like Hardwear said:
Quote:
J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.
And sure Disney has ownership over Lucasfilm, but that doesn't make Lucasfilm obsolete. Unless for some peculiar reason Disney decide they don't need the guys who have been making Star Wars for 40 years and know how to do it right, as well as what the fans want, and replace them all with Disney employees. Remember, Disney are the distributor, they don't make the films they just rubber-stamp them. Lucasfilm and Bad Robot are making the films. In that way Lucasfilm do not exist in name only, they are still a company in their own right - they're not Disney puppets, Disney has no need to exert that kind of control over them. But people always seem to get the idea that all corporations are evil.

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.29.2013 , 02:15 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Like Hardwear said:

And sure Disney has ownership over Lucasfilm, but that doesn't make Lucasfilm obsolete. Unless for some peculiar reason Disney decide they don't need the guys who have been making Star Wars for 40 years and know how to do it right, as well as what the fans want, and replace them all with Disney employees. Remember, Disney are the distributor, they don't make the films they just rubber-stamp them. Lucasfilm and Bad Robot are making the films. In that way Lucasfilm do not exist in name only, they are still a company in their own right - they're not Disney puppets, Disney has no need to exert that kind of control over them. But people always seem to get the idea that all corporations are evil.
if only what you believe were true. "under the banner" is hollywood speak for, Kennedy is representing disney/lucasfilm. it does not mean lucasfilm is the production company. this movie isnt being made by the same people who made any of the star wars films. thinking that this is another star wars movie made by lucasfilm with abrams directing/producing instead of lucas is just wrong.

if it really was like how you are wishing it was, then Abrams would just have been hired as director/producer and lucasfilm would be named as the production company. make no mistake, bad robot is the production company. so just accept that. if you enjoyed star trek, then you will enjoy the new star wars movie. for people who had problems with how the trek movie was done, they are going to have the same issues with the star wars movie.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.29.2013 , 02:29 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
if only what you believe were true. "under the banner" is hollywood speak for, Kennedy is representing disney/lucasfilm. it does not mean lucasfilm is the production company. this movie isnt being made by the same people who made any of the star wars films. thinking that this is another star wars movie made by lucasfilm with abrams directing/producing instead of lucas is just wrong.

if it really was like how you are wishing it was, then Abrams would just have been hired as director/producer and lucasfilm would be named as the production company. make no mistake, bad robot is the production company. so just accept that. if you enjoyed star trek, then you will enjoy the new star wars movie. for people who had problems with how the trek movie was done, they are going to have the same issues with the star wars movie.
Yet why does it say that Bad Robot is co-producing with Lucasfilm? Are you saying they lied? If so what exactly are Lucasfilm doing? This relationship, you will find, is the same as the relatioship between Disney-Pixar. Pixar still produce the movies, Disney distribute them. Yes Bad Robot are also involved in the production of Star Wars but I doubt that Disney will give more power to Bad Robot (a company they don't own and have no experience producing Star Wars) than Lucasfilm (a company they do own and has 40 years experience producing Star Wars.) Why would they?

And that's just it. If you accept that Disney own Lucasfilm and heavilty influence them then you have to accept that J.J Abrams and Bad Robot are going to listen to what Lucasfilm AKA Disney, tell them to do.

And I think you misintepreted the use of the term 'under the banner' - there referring to Kennedy's position as CEO of Lucasfilm, owned by Disney. Nothing more. So yeah, I guess Kennedy is representing Lucasfilm, she does own the company (I fail to see your point here.)

MiaRB's Avatar


MiaRB
01.29.2013 , 02:57 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Yet why does it say that Bad Robot is co-producing with Lucasfilm? Are you saying they lied? If so what exactly are Lucasfilm doing? This relationship, you will find, is the same as the relatioship between Disney-Pixar. Pixar still produce the movies, Disney distribute them. Yes Bad Robot are also involved in the production of Star Wars but I doubt that Disney will give more power to Bad Robot (a company they don't own and have no experience producing Star Wars) than Lucasfilm (a company they do own and has 40 years experience producing Star Wars.) Why would they?

And that's just it. If you accept that Disney own Lucasfilm and heavilty influence them then you have to accept that J.J Abrams and Bad Robot are going to listen to what Lucasfilm AKA Disney, tell them to do.

And I think you misintepreted the use of the term 'under the banner' - there referring to Kennedy's position as CEO of Lucasfilm, owned by Disney. Nothing more. So yeah, I guess Kennedy is representing Lucasfilm, she does own the company (I fail to see your point here.)
what will lucasfilm be doing? the post production elements from lucasfilm, such as ILM and Skywalker Sound, will be involed as always. but the main production of the movie, final script, how the story is told, actual production of filming, and so on are being done by Abrams and HIS production company. again, is the same thing as with the trek movie.

the point is, you and some others seem to think that this is another star wars film except abrams is there to just direct the actors performances.
can't wait for this game to come out!