Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
J.J. Abrams Directing Star Wars

Beniboybling
01.28.2013 , 12:57 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
Good Point! also, Lucas was hated because at the time of EP. 4 (1977) Movie credits were shown at the start of a movie, Lucas put them at the end.... A trend he started and now followed by many.
Not necessarily a good thing though... being hated by Hollywood is generally a plus.

What I mean to say is Star Wars has always been something different, not necessarily cut above the rest (although IMO it is) but something different and unique. The moment you see those iconic opening credits, you know this will be a film like no other. I only hope the lessening of independence will not tarnish that uniqueness.

Hardwear
01.28.2013 , 04:00 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Themanthatisi View Post
also, Lucas was hated because at the time of EP. 4 (1977) Movie credits were shown at the start of a movie, Lucas put them at the end.... A trend he started and now followed by many.
Thats an interesting little factoid I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it.

..but the story behind Hollywood's hatred for Lucas stems from a historic miscalculation or maybe bad judgment.

Sci-fi flix were not deemed very popular in the days before Star Wars became a reality and the only reason why George was able to even get any consideration is because of the notoriety he received from the success of American Graffiti.

Most of the major studios including Paramount had turned him down considering the project a risk, so when he asked FOX who ultimately agreed to fund the project he asked for rights to all the merchandising before the release.

The studio was probably like "yeah ok whatever" thinking Star Wars would never amount to much.

Star Wars went pandemic made a $#@*-ton of money like no one had ever seen and with that money from merchandising Lucas was able to buy back his intellectual property from the studio becoming the sole owner of the franchise and the rest is history.

..because of this no studio since has ever allowed a deal like that to be made no matter what they perceive the potential of the film to be
Squadron: 1020 367

Skodan
01.28.2013 , 05:25 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post

..because of this no studio since has ever allowed a deal like that to be made no matter what they perceive the potential of the film to be
reminds me of the Hunger Games. no one expected it to do well, boy where they wrong
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Shadojack
01.28.2013 , 08:10 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Drudenfusz View Post
Have you even watched Star Trek 7-10? J. J. Abrams revived Star Trek! The movies before his had already lost everything the TV show was about.
If by revised you mean destroying 40 years of lore and everything the original series stood for worse then any Star Trek movie or group of movies could hope to accomplish, then yes he revised the series.

Congratulations JJ you made a monster. Why not just throw in Optimus Prime to fight the Borg. Then you'll really have something.
Travel light, travel fast, and keep moving.

Drudenfusz
01.28.2013 , 09:00 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Shadojack View Post
If by revised you mean destroying 40 years of lore and everything the original series stood for worse then any Star Trek movie or group of movies could hope to accomplish, then yes he revised the series.

Congratulations JJ you made a monster. Why not just throw in Optimus Prime to fight the Borg. Then you'll really have something.
I didn't wrote revised, I wrote revived. The francise was already pretty much dead, and Star Trek 7 to 10 already ruined it. Those movies did already everything you blame J.J. Abrams for. He had picked up that pile and made something the Star Trek 7 to 10 movies just could get right.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Defiant_Pixel
01.28.2013 , 10:52 PM | #106
As far as the effect of the "publicity" The Old Republic will be getting in response to the new movies, I can say that I'm probably one of the first to have sought this game out because of it. I loved Star Wars as a kid, but I've never played any MMOs. I can honestly say that my excitement for the new films brought me here.

Hardwear
01.29.2013 , 12:09 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by Defiant_Pixel View Post
As far as the effect of the "publicity" The Old Republic will be getting in response to the new movies, I can say that I'm probably one of the first to have sought this game out because of it. I loved Star Wars as a kid, but I've never played any MMOs. I can honestly say that my excitement for the new films brought me here.

Welcome glad to have you and I hope BioWare recognizes the opportuity is has here.

TheNegotiator
01.29.2013 , 12:54 AM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Don't you listen? There is every reason! Why? Because unlike with Star Trek - JJ Abrams is coproducing with Lucasfilm and Kathleen Kennedy. He's also co-producing with Kasdan and Kinberg. And has George Lucas as a consultant, who as a fan, will listen to. So thats 4 other people and a company. Not to mention the fact he's late to the party, Micheal Ardnt has already begun writing the script. And lets also remember that Star Wars is a whole different story. Its a ongoing saga not a reboot, so Abrams has to work within some sort of structure already set out for him. Disney has by no means handed the movie to Abrams like Viacom did Star Trek.

And finally Star Trek is a critically acclaimed film. So if it turns out anything like that, I'm happy. Personally I'd love to see Star Wars get at score of 95% on Rotten Tomatoes and win an Oscar.
Where are you getting this from. Abrams has no role except director, Kennedy is the only producer. Lucas is a consultant and Disney can do whatever they want, including replacing them all if they like, Lucas Film exists in name only.

Hardwear
01.29.2013 , 01:05 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNegotiator View Post
Where are you getting this from. Abrams has no role except director, Kennedy is the only producer. Lucas is a consultant and Disney can do whatever they want, including replacing them all if they like, Lucas Film exists in name only.

Quote:
J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.
~ Star Wars.com

aeterno
01.29.2013 , 01:59 AM | #110
The only "concern" I have is the fact the new films will most likely be products of the new age of filmmaking - standalone "casual friendly" rounded entities, built from ground up to attract new fans with each flick by not making the viewing of the previous film "mandatory" for enjoyment.

Some would call it "duimbing it down". Say what you will about Lucas and his prequels, he had his vision of the saga and his movies primarily served to tell that saga. I don't think we can expect a simmilar OT-PT or even LOTRO-esque projects but more shallow action flicks. Which is cool, make TOR trailers into feature films and I'll go watch it 2 times, but at it's core SW is a space opera. And I don't think the will or vision to extend said opera is really there on the part of disney. They'll do right by SW in terms of production quality I feel but the bottom line of the each induvidual flick will trump the tale of the new Skywalker every time.

Curtains for the age of a story being told in 6 movies. The age of SW with story crammed into 180minutes has arrived.