Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking - Are healers suppose to dps/heal?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanking - Are healers suppose to dps/heal?

Eterud
01.25.2013 , 08:49 AM | #11
I've been both a tank and healer in several mmo's.

In this game my healing char is a level 45 merc.

And found that healing in this game is a lot different than for instance in wow:
Healer dps is quite helpfull, and what's the use of standing still when your team is healed and you got some hot's on all of them?

it's better to off dps with auto attacks/unload when you have 0 heat.
ofcourse do not use any heat abilities when the team needs healing. save your heat for that.
but auto attacking is only helpfull, not harmfull with a teamfight, and in most bossfights I still seem to be able to do around 20-50k damage done on the boss, while keeping my team fully healed as every auto attack I do is around 1k damage total as healer.

Imo a healers rotation of importance:

Keeping the healer alive> Keeping the tank alive>Keeping the dps alive> crowd control>removing debuffs>dps

Keypek
01.25.2013 , 09:50 AM | #12
On trash pulls people will never be below 90% health and I will dps and cc in between in FPs and never have a problem with that. Only time anyone has a problem doing their job and more in a FP is if they are terrible or just not paying attention.

Bosses and Ops I will not waste time on trying to dps though as you're better off making sure people are being topped off and your energy bar close to full for the big spikes.
K'mpek/Keypek or some variation
55s=1 of everything. Vanguard main.
Undercon __ ICE Breaker>Corellian Run>The Shadowlands

wainot-keel
01.25.2013 , 10:14 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiramu View Post
I dislike when healers try to DPS instead of watching health bars. Healer DPS is so pitiful, you might as well stand and wait for healing to be done instead.
Pitiful or not, it can be the difference between wiping or not.
Couple of weeks ago we were on EC hm, with 2 new dps getting to know the fights. Probes on minefield were enraging on us, so I whispered the other sorc healer to put Affliction and Crushing Darkness on it. It was no problem, since everything was being interrupted so not much damage and we managed to get a kill. Between unnecesarly wiping or kicking 2 new people, I chose to dps a bit. Not a big deal and it does make a difference.

Quote: Originally Posted by Petnil View Post
loads of times i have to kill some nonelites myself if i dont want them hitting me when i play healer... Ofc keeping the group alive has priority, but iŽll keep throwing dots and lighting at mobs as long as my group is topped of and i have enough force to do so and still keep my group alive.
Yup, I have to do that bunch of times. Lots of DPS still oblivious about killing the weakling first so they don't go for the healer.

mikebevo
01.25.2013 , 10:19 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Chiramu View Post
I dislike when healers try to DPS instead of watching health bars. Healer DPS is so pitiful, you might as well stand and wait for healing to be done instead..
My sawbones can take out a weak in one hit, the same as my sentinel and she can't do it any faster. I have out dps'ed a dps guardian in a trash pull in HM TfB (lucky crit hit on a flyby, I guess, but pulled over 2000 dps and 1300 hps (like 970 EHS)). similarly geared dps will do better dps than me, but I know I can out dps most Tionese and Columi players for short burst.

That said, I don't because my job is to heal and even when I have everyone topped off I don't throw out my best damage producers because I have to maintain energy reserves to heal. The only time I worry about dps more than healing is when the tank and dps refuse to do their job and I am tanking the mobs while they have gold fever. Then I will kill the mobs (still with one eye on the tank) before resuming heals as normal. Even when killing the mods, I stay ready to throw a heal at the tank and to a lesser extent dps, so I still am not using my most energy consuming attacks, unless coolhead is up.

My job is to heal, first and formost, I will heal anyone anytime even through their own stupidity. I once healed a dps commando through standing in lava the entire fight in HM EV.

Racter
01.25.2013 , 04:59 PM | #15
I usually get annoyed if the healer doesn't DPS in FPs. Especially since 75% of the time the DPS are horrible.

Honestly going to start tanking as rage spec in soresu with tank gear. Can't stand fights taking forever, especially in the T1 stuff. Most of the time I'd rather have 3 DPS... 25k health with solid avoidance means I'm not dying anytime soon lol

Zhiroc
01.26.2013 , 10:32 AM | #16
I play my 50 Sage as a healer/DPS hybrid because I find that fun. But not to worry as I almost never am involved in group play so I'm unlikely to run into you in these situations, and even if I did, I would advertise myself as a hybrid to set expectations (I'm really "only" missing the area heal, but of course that can be a biggie in certain situations).

However, my best method of force regen on this character is through DPS (TK throw), so I do that a lot since it has 0 activation and CD and is thus my spam ability if I'm not needing to do anything else.

Thundergulch
01.31.2013 , 09:47 AM | #17
As long as the healer has no issues keeping everyone alive, then they can DPS as much as possible IMO.
People saying they should just heal only,don't really have much of a clue as to what they're talking about.

Ravnik
01.31.2013 , 09:51 AM | #18
If im in a group i will always primarily chuck heals at the tank, and a few onto anyone else who might need a boost. If no one is taking much damage then i will throw dps out for a bit, even if its just to build my charges up.

What i wont do however is keep healing dps toons who continue to pull aggro off the tank!
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly..........

jasonthelamb
01.31.2013 , 10:15 AM | #19
Really depends on the healer. My friend Scott played as a Healer Merc (or whatever the BH healer is), and in EC SM (and HM) would pop out some DPS when he had time, but he never stopped healing in order to do some DPS, on the other hand we had another healer that could barely handle healing the raid, and never DPS'd.

I think everyone would take a healer who could throw out some damage every now and then, as long as the group (FP or raid) stayed up to full health.

Cleet_Xia
01.31.2013 , 03:30 PM | #20
There are some things you might consider before you start chewing on people.

1. If you're talking about a sage healer, both of their big heals will often overheal if cast on a target with more than 80% health. If that target already has the Rejuvenate HoT on them. If you've got the lockout debuff from Force Armor on, they're going to let you fluctuate between 65% and 95% health ~ In most cases.

2. There is a bug that sometimes causes the health bars in the party frame to not be updated accurately. Sometimes they do not show that players are damaged, and other times they show damage that has already been healed. The bug doesn't appear to effect everyone, and it doesn't show up too frequently. But it obviously can cause a party wipe as a healer might drop the tank, or run themselves OOF trying to heal damage that just won't go away.

3. Pushback messes up healing a lot. If your healers are getting torn to pieces by adds, they have no choice but to dps and heal themselves. If you're expecting the DPS players to take care of the adds, and they are not, you better expect to use your defensive CDs on rotation. If you find that the DPS are heading straight to the target your tanking in every fight, keep a close watch on your healer ~ or you won't get any healing.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~