Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Extreme Latency on Windows 8

Master_Wa
01.24.2013 , 06:08 PM | #1
My Current Computer Specs:
Windows 8 Professional: 64-Bit (Upgraded from Vista 32-Bit to use all of my ram)
NVIDIA GTX 560 OC
Intel i5 2500
8GB Ram
Asus Black Diamond USB-N53 internet adapter

I have been playing SWTOR since March 2012 on "Dalborra" with no problems until I upgraded to Windows 8 at the end of november last month.

The game runs smoothly on "Very High" graphics settings with no (graphics) lag however my connection latency thing is constantly sitting on 1 red bar in game. This causes all of my actions to be delayed making it very difficult during any fights as it takes time for the servers to register my actions. While the server delays me, mobs continue to attack me causing me to die before i can even attack them a few times.

I've made sure that my drivers are up to date, tried the game on "Very Low" graphics settings and updated all my C++ stuff (like CS said) but nothing has managed to fix it.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem or if there is any fix for it.
Any help would be appreciated
It is Useless to Resist

OwenBrooks
01.24.2013 , 06:18 PM | #2
http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=555798&page=6

Windows 8 issues have been discussed here not sure on a fix for red bar

Best suggestion off hand is to ensure exceptions exist in the firewall for swtor.exe and launcher.exe and that they have public network access , do you have a firewall on router ?

Some have no issues running swtor on win 8, yet some do , love new OS releases.

Master_Wa
01.24.2013 , 06:57 PM | #3
Thanks for your reply.
I have made sure all SWTOR exe's are unblocked in my firewalls - also, its not my router as other computers in the house can run it fine (on windows 7)
I'll check out that other forum.

Still, if anyone else has anything to say, let me know
It is Useless to Resist

TheNightcrawler
01.24.2013 , 07:09 PM | #4
I've been having the same thing happen to me, save mine is running all over the place (going from 62 to 100 to 5000 to 300 to etc.). This is a brand new computer that I had to get because my old one died. Now, my computer did an automatic update last night and all of the sudden, the game was running perfectly (was running a solid 62 no mater the graphic setting being Very High or Very Low). However, I log on this evening and it's doing the exact same thing again.

I submitted a ticket when it first started happening and they gave a bunch of things to do and I have done them (flushed DNS, updated drivers, cold boot, etc.). However, I can't think of what could of happened last night that would make it run fine and then make it start acting up again this evening. Getting a bit frustrated.
Heavily Medicated For Your Safety

Self Control. The Only Way To Survive In This World Dominated by Idiots.

Master_Wa
01.24.2013 , 07:49 PM | #5
I think that happened to me once.
It hadn't been working well, but then, all of a sudden - constant 4 bars.

1 day later though, back to my old problem :S
It is Useless to Resist

Caelvin_Williams
01.24.2013 , 09:36 PM | #6
I have a Windows 7 computer. This same thing is happening to me as well. It did not start until the servers were brought down and back up this week.
░▒ Private Caelvin Dulany The Army of Light ▒░

TheNightcrawler
01.24.2013 , 10:11 PM | #7
If I can ask what servers you might be on. I hear that The Harbinger server seems to be having problems with lag. However, my main characters are on Jedi Covenant where I am having the problem and I tried Begeren Colony just to see if it was that one server, but I have the same problem there as well.

Trickstarrr
01.24.2013 , 10:21 PM | #8
Guys, SWTOR uses a lot of P2P data, similar to WOW, ISP's will offer you a cable connection of 10mb/s to 100mb/s but will only allow a certian amount of P2P traffic, so anything else using P2P can cause server lag on your end, check your not running skype, torrent software, or any other prgrams using a data connection

Master_Wa
01.24.2013 , 10:25 PM | #9
The whole P2P thing isn't an issue for me. I know this because the only different thing on my PC is windows 8 (I used to run the game with 4 bars but since windows 8 it has become the 1 red bar.)

BTW, im on the AP server Dalborra.
It is Useless to Resist

TheNightcrawler
01.24.2013 , 10:33 PM | #10
Yes, I have never had a problem with other things running on my end. I run pathpings on my computer and going from Louisiana (where I live) to California, I have about a 74 ms on my end. Even running it all the way around the other side of the world barely jumps it up to 100 ms without any data loss. It is always a constant thing. It's just when I log onto SWTOR that my ms starts jumping all over the place, with the bar usually staying in the red.