Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Disappointed With The Romance Options

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Disappointed With The Romance Options

Amadahy
02.04.2013 , 11:11 AM | #31
Like many of you I am disappointed as well. While I like most of the companions, and romance (Andronikos, Vector, Torian, Aric) options, I think more could have been done. For example, the female Sith Warrior, who gets a romance (Quinn who I HATE) and a hint at a romance (Pierce). I think, not just for SW, there should have been two options for romance.

Additionally, being a Scourge fangirl I would have LOVED for my Jedi Knight to romance him. He fit her SO much better than Doc. Who she only saw as someone to scratch that itch.
The Alcaeus Legacy
Heirah ~ Jedi Knight
Nasirah ~ Sith Warrior Sopheina ~ Sith Sorc Melena ~ Sniper
Sienah ~ Scoundrel

kalarigamerchic
02.05.2013 , 06:58 PM | #32
Returning player here and definitely have my gripes with the romances. As my signature points out why can't my consular romance Zenith? He is much more dynamic then Iresso who you get far to late in the story line to care for.

I am enjoying Aric Jorgan more then I thought I would, it took a lot of work to get him even in flirt mode but it hasn't been too bad. Doc was okay for me as well specially coming off of playing a consular who has the worst romance options in the game to me

Quinn is shaping up to me to be another Aric type im going to have to work harder for him think its because I am playing an alien? I dunno I like my twi'lek sith though.

And Corso what the hell man?
Spoiler
..seriously it was like something from freaking kindergarten (put the text in spoilers just in case someone hasn't gotten that far with the goofy country boy yet). And seriously flirt options still suck heck id even take female on female flirt options at this point because the male ones are boring. Even that Alderaan noble for my smuggler *yawn* Though I will say I did enjoy making Aric jealous with that SIS agent wish I could have taken that a little further
Enter My Den for a fun Podcast
I am not evil I am morally obtuse, Chaotic Neutral 4life

Join the Zenith Fanclub

Ithilwen
02.05.2013 , 08:19 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by kalarigamerchic View Post
Quinn is shaping up to me to be another Aric type im going to have to work harder for him think its because I am playing an alien? I dunno I like my twi'lek sith though.
Quinn is very professional, you're his superior and he's on your ship to server you (in a professional maner xD). Although he seems to look down on aliens, I don't think it would matter with the SW since you outrank him as a Sith, and the ability to play as 'unintended' races was added after the convos, so it should be the same as for a Human, Pure blood, Cyborg or Zabrak.

Depending on what you say to him, you can get a better idea of whether or not he really finds you flirting with him a nuisance :P
But for that you'd need to have your finger on the ESC button ready to repeat the convo with different options I'm finding that with Quinn, it's really worthwhile to explore all the dialog options, class story and companion dialog

[Edit]
The first character I played was a Consular, and I wasn't that into Tharan or Iresso, not that we can go far with Tharan anyway, it would have to be the weirdest way to break up ever! xD I remember thinking, 'Uh... what just happened?' As for Iresso, there isn't a lot to it, very rushed... I'm also a fan of Zenith, too bad he wont get the option to romance him down the track. Hopefully they'll add some more 'in depth' relationships with the new companions

As for Vette on my Male SW, I liked how everytime you flirted with her it seemed to go over her head (appart from the affection gains), and then when you reach Act 2 she asks you about something you said previously, and why you chose her. It's really sweet and shows how much depth there is to her romance and character.
Valkarah - Valania - Santiel
Dramorion - Onai - Ostana

kalarigamerchic
02.06.2013 , 10:05 AM | #34
That's good to know about Quinn I really like the way he is though the professional types are always stuffy at first then more fun later (at least it seems that way with Jorgan to he was such a hard case now hes requesting others go on leave so we can have alone time lol).

I am really not impressed with my smugglers romance though if they put same sex stuff in I may go with Spar over Corso shes way tougher looking and acting and doesn't shove you around like a child lol.

The Vette romance sounds like fun I still don't understand the Iresso thing honestly by the time I got him it was like meh another person on my consulars ship that I had no want for. Future companions will probably be just as rushed for that class to it seems to me they want you to prefer to stay alone at least that was the only option I felt choosing since Zenith is not an option. Tharan gave me the willies from the beginning I had a feeling he was all freaky for his hologram so I mostly ignored flirt options with him. And Doc maybe over sexed and had far more ex girlfriends then I liked but coming from my sage's story line it was a breath of fresh air
Enter My Den for a fun Podcast
I am not evil I am morally obtuse, Chaotic Neutral 4life

Join the Zenith Fanclub

bright_ephemera
02.06.2013 , 10:25 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by kalarigamerchic View Post
And Doc maybe over sexed and had far more ex girlfriends then I liked but coming from my sage's story line it was a breath of fresh air
One thing that really does improve the romances, in my experience, is playing their weaknesses off against each other in different playthroughs to enjoy the resulting changes of pace. Quite by accident I went like so:

Corso: AUGH AUGH THE PATRIARCHY HAS LATCHED ONTO MY FACE AND I CAN'T GET RID OF IT, SOMEBODY GET ME A CROWBAR PLEASE
followed by
Kaliyo: Do whatever the hell you want, and feel free to be antagonistic, she'll give as good as she gets; easy come, easy go; wildly mixed signals
followed by
Quinn: No signals; patience is the name of the game, and yes, he'll be agonizing over rules and proper roles the whole time
followed by
Andronikos: Direct, unvarnished, informal, doesn't even care you're Sith
followed by
Elara: Shy, reserved, intensely aware of the rules, yet both sweet and, once she starts opening up, charmingly self-assured

Any one by itself might have gotten obnoxious (except Kaliyo, that crazy witch, I never get tired of her), but in sequence they were really amusing.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Averthine
02.10.2013 , 09:04 PM | #36
My heart belongs to Khem Val. <3
Good memories and nightmares

Lent_San
02.11.2013 , 05:19 PM | #37
I think they could have done more with the romances and hopefully they will in the future. My first romance was femConsular with Iresso and it was a little boring and happened much too late in the game. I'm enjoying my bromance between Corso and my Smuggler guy right now, but alas, it's platonic. It's better written than an "official" romance, mind you.

It's kind of hard not to compare romances with other Bioware titles like Mass Effect and Dragon Age and feel kind of disappointed about it. First there's only OGR and the existing romances then just kind of stop. There's no evolution whatsoever.

I realize creating an MMO brings restrictions and there are so many chars to deal with. But now that F2P is implemented, I wish they'd really get some more story content going which would also include romances.

And a little more depth /variety/drama would be in order.

GeneralRoiDiyas
04.04.2013 , 08:16 PM | #38
I wish there was more romance options for females. In the beginning, the female consular could romance either theran, zenith, or iresso. However, for Theran it was more like a one-night stand because of his jealous holographic girlfriend or whatever she is to him. Then for some reason, they decided that Iresso should be the only one that the female consular should romance with. I don't understand why that if you play a female you could only romance one person and it may not even be the person you want to romance, but if you play a guy you have different women to choose from.

SithKoriandr
04.04.2013 , 08:31 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by GeneralRoiDiyas View Post
I wish there was more romance options for females. In the beginning, the female consular could romance either theran, zenith, or iresso. However, for Theran it was more like a one-night stand because of his jealous holographic girlfriend or whatever she is to him. Then for some reason, they decided that Iresso should be the only one that the female consular should romance with. I don't understand why that if you play a female you could only romance one person and it may not even be the person you want to romance, but if you play a guy you have different women to choose from.
It's not like MaleConsulars have multiple options. They get one option, and it's the last companion they get.

It probably all depended on the writer(s) of the class story line. I know I would have liked the option for Talos on my Inquisitor.

I'm enjoying Quinn on my Warrior. Sadly, it seems best to keep him on the ship to romance, and run with Jaesa or Vette for my cutscenes, as Quinn seems to hate all my choices in storyline cutscenes.

As for Corso, I really wish SGR for companions would happen, so I can choose a different companion. Lent can have Corso, gaaaaah, love his combat lines, but other than that he can stay just a friend.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Antisthienes
04.05.2013 , 07:37 AM | #40
Male Empire best has got to be Dark Jaesa, if you can remember the 90's the character of Malorie Knox might seem familiar which for a Dark 4 or Dark 5 rated SW is quite expected.It goes down hill from here, even Kaliyo complains when you sell out Watcher to Jadus... come on is this the same Rattataki?

Haven't fully developed Vette on the Light SW but, a hint is that it does help to go LS if you're building conversation affection while she does build some from dark choices they are too few and far between. That said LS Jaesa is horribly demure and I can approve of no romancing there... For the 'Pubs tops goes to Akaavi, she has personality and not the grating kind. With Risha I couldn't get past two major things, the biggest being that she seemed entirely useless for the first act and second was her additude -Curse you for not letting me ditch her on Taris BW! Dorne! Imperial disappointment I would sum up in Mako though to add some realism the IA Opt-out on Voss should be avaible to all classes and genders.

[:Spoiler:] Female IA can opt to marry a Voss to gain entry to the Dark Heart. Which if your romancable compainion hasn't gotten remotely serious by Voss or proven less than ideal this would be a great fix, in the style of a Vette phobia "Have I ever mentioned I have a fear of commitment...not limited to mental wards. [:End Spoiler:]

In the spirit of comparing Bioware past to present the KOTOR 1 & to a lesser extent 2 were far more believable, Revan's humour response of Bastilla giving a compliment was priceless. Contrast with present, I have to go Exar Kun to make Consular anything other than dull, Nadia also seems to come too late even in 'guest' status making it seem incredibly rushed - just a thought there.

What can be learned here? Romance is gradual, Rushing the subject or completely oblivious reactions are extremities prone to failure. Humour is great, with Vette the laughs have kept it from falling flat.