Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Names

Cienna
01.23.2013 , 06:47 PM | #1
I'd like if BioWare were to take a lesson from Sony in how they managed character names after server transfers. Unlike BioWare's poorly trained, outsourced "customer service", Sony didn't just tell active, paying customers to stuff it, cram it, shove it, or ram it when they lost their character name(s) after a server merger. Sony actually came up with what seemed a very fair resolution.

Regardless of whether a character was on a source server or destination server, the character that had the longer play time was given prescedence. I've had my character name "Santiago" since ßeta testing. The "Santiago" on my current server isn't active anymore. (I sent him 100,000 credits in an in-game message. It was returned to me unopened 30 days later.)

Just my two cents.

tXHereticXt
01.24.2013 , 04:45 AM | #2
That's still unfair because who is to say that said person isn't dealing with trouble. I myself have been out for a month now because my motherboard is dead and while I wait for the crappy manufacturer company to get back to me, I am out of the game at no fault of my own. So if I came back to find my character's names were taken (again) I would be pissed. Play time is not accurate as someone who plays for a week 15-20 hours a day, say during the summer, or on a break - they're going to accumulate more hours.

I would rather go by activation time, as I was in the game on Day -7 (first Pre-order launch day) and created the toon at whatever time was convenient. So if I found the person to have made that name at the same time if not sooner on a different server... well, more power to em.

As a matter of fact, one thing Champions Online got right was their global system so character names could be identical but the global names set players apart. Sadly this would require a MAJOR overall and chat boxes would need to be exercized more conveniently to accomodate what long names people could come up with. All of which I would doubt to see in TOR..... maaaaybe Mass Effect Online? lol /end