Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is reporting rude behavior even worth it?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Is reporting rude behavior even worth it?

ClarkWGriswald
01.26.2013 , 08:07 AM | #11
I reported a player yesterday for advertising he could make Dread Gaurd level mods. I should've checked his schematics but I didn't. Well I traded the mats and 20k for tip (because he didn't ask, so I gave him something). He began to ride away on his speeder and I whisper him, "Where you going?". He put me on ignore and took my mats.

I switched to another character and asked him kindly for my mats. He said he doesn't know what I was talking about. I told him was going to have his account banned and he replied give me 25k and I'll give them back. I reported him and haven't heard anything.

If you see a guy by the name of Lordxrevn or any variation on either side, buyer beware.

idavies
01.26.2013 , 08:14 AM | #12
I only really started using the ignore function since F2P started. General chat standards have plummeted. I've got a stack of names now added to my ignore list. True there are some awful F2P's but my issue are with the players who burn them because they dare to ask a question in general chat (yes, the questions may seem stupid but hey nobody became an expert playing this on day one!). I saw a question in general chat "How do I make my companion reappear?" within seconds the abuse started, not just off a single player but four or five people started abusing the question for no apparent reason at all. References to his mother, racist, vulgar, gender related.... within 1 minute most of the subjects were covered! If I had been on the end of that I would probably have logged. I whispered the player to answer his question but before I finished typing he had logged (I cant say I'm surprised). So I scrolled back through the chat log and reported the players that were so obnoxious. I don't know if the report function even works, I do get an automated message to say it's being actioned but that's the last I hear about it.
Uranium 55 Commado Lithium 55 Guardian
Promethium 55 Gunslinger Berylium 55 Sage
Rhodium 55 Sentinel Plutonium 55 Shadow

TheBBP
01.26.2013 , 08:33 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by idavies View Post
I only really started using the ignore function since F2P started. General chat standards have plummeted. I've got a stack of names now added to my ignore list. True there are some awful F2P's but my issue are with the players who burn them because they dare to ask a question in general chat (yes, the questions may seem stupid but hey nobody became an expert playing this on day one!). I saw a question in general chat "How do I make my companion reappear?" within seconds the abuse started, not just off a single player but four or five people started abusing the question for no apparent reason at all. References to his mother, racist, vulgar, gender related.... within 1 minute most of the subjects were covered! If I had been on the end of that I would probably have logged. I whispered the player to answer his question but before I finished typing he had logged (I cant say I'm surprised). So I scrolled back through the chat log and reported the players that were so obnoxious. I don't know if the report function even works, I do get an automated message to say it's being actioned but that's the last I hear about it.
The numbers of undesirables have increased only because the population overall has increased. It is not a F2P thing. Many of the worst people that I encounter I subscribers.
Master No'ja Vace -The Ebon Hawk Server
Co-Leader, The Way of the Maker - Family style Christian guild.

ScarletBlaze
01.27.2013 , 07:01 PM | #14
The only way to hopefully get general chat better is to report certain people that go above and beyond what is acceptable behaviour and contary to what some think there are rules that everyone agreed to before they get to play.

You can use the excuse well not everyone reads it but that doesn't matter you agree to it when you began to play. Saying well I didn't know or I didn't read it is a excuse, cope out. There are reasons for the rules and everyone agreed to abide by them.

I will report those that have stepped out of line, racial slurs, sexual comments, etc. Those should never be tolerated.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: Redemption: The battle of Xa Fel https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/r-1rAjOuo30

idavies
01.28.2013 , 04:38 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
The numbers of undesirables have increased only because the population overall has increased. It is not a F2P thing. Many of the worst people that I encounter I subscribers.
Yeah I agree mate. I was trying to say that the new players seem to be getting the majority of the abuse from the long term players.
Uranium 55 Commado Lithium 55 Guardian
Promethium 55 Gunslinger Berylium 55 Sage
Rhodium 55 Sentinel Plutonium 55 Shadow

shakes_fist
01.28.2013 , 04:00 PM | #16
I can agree with the lot here, report it. If they want to play the game, then they will learn to stop that kind of non-sense.
"For enough credits, anything is possible."

ziphii
01.29.2013 , 08:36 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
The only way to hopefully get general chat better is to report certain people that go above and beyond what is acceptable behaviour and contary to what some think there are rules that everyone agreed to before they get to play.

You can use the excuse well not everyone reads it but that doesn't matter you agree to it when you began to play. Saying well I didn't know or I didn't read it is a excuse, cope out. There are reasons for the rules and everyone agreed to abide by them.

I will report those that have stepped out of line, racial slurs, sexual comments, etc. Those should never be tolerated.
QFT! Report away! Although I have to say, I am rarely paying that much attention to general chat as I'm usually fighting or listening to a cut scene convo. Still a new player, here. But if they respond to reports of rude, unacceptable behavior, then it is our responsibility to report people who break the rules. Assuming they do respond to reports.

Master_Timothy
03.01.2013 , 09:30 PM | #18
Here's what I think is best in regards to this problem. Add such people to your ignore list while you are playing. Then remove them from the list one you are done playing. That way the ignore limit can never fill up. Personally though I think that these chat channels should be policed so that the company can deal with these individuals directly and get to the bottom of the problem as to why these people choose to be rude. Of course this is just a suggestion.

iEuthanasia
03.02.2013 , 04:23 PM | #19
I mentioned it before somewhere, but I would love if more games took Riot's approach to it. It's a rather forward thinking approach to reports/suspensions/bans. The more a player is reported the more likely they are to appear in the Tribunal. The Tribunal is basically any number of players who meet certain criteria that voluntarily view why the person was reported and chose to either Pardon the case for not enough to Punish on, Punish the case for clear guilt, or skip the case due to not being sure one way other the other. If the majority of players deem the actions to merit a punishment then the player is suspended in increasing increments of time up until 1 week/2week suspension. After that, if the player hasn't changed their ways they get the ban hammer.

Internet based games in general have slid down as far as standards and who better to judge than the players who are subjected to the nonsense? A lot of people criticize the whole setup and it probably does have it's flaws, but it is quick and it is efficient. Players that feel they have been wrongly suspended are able to make a case for themselves and attempt to have it lifted. Players who are banned don't get such a luxury. If you've been suspended that many times, you're doing something wrong.

Thylbanus
03.02.2013 , 08:09 PM | #20
It's about 50/50. I've had people just go off and be quite rude both in game and on the forums and the results have been mixed. I get a response to every one, and as usual, they don't share if or what action was taken. But then I see some the next day or two, going off like it never happened.

Character names too. I had one that constituted a very disgusting sexual proclivity, but it must be a regional vernacular, since he is still has that name. I still have him on my ignore list and I removed and added him to the friend list and back to ignore, so he still has that name and it's been over a month.

Meh...
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson