Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone else think SW is a little...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anyone else think SW is a little...

jarjarloves
01.24.2013 , 07:23 AM | #11
yeah for a movie that came out in the 70s the tech has held up pretty well.

But remember that Star Wars is a Fantasy movie not a sci fi movie.

Diablo_Cow
01.24.2013 , 09:16 AM | #12
The technology in Star Wars is extremely high tech compared to our technology. That doesn't mean it has to look sleek and futuristic by our terms. When Lucas created ANH, he was not only limited by the budget but he also wanted to make everything old and worn looking, like it's been used for decades. He succeeded in the original trilogy very well for everyone except the Empire. Then in the PT he made the tech look sleeker, shinier, and newer while still keeping the design the same.

SnoggyMack
01.24.2013 , 09:49 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedirep View Post
Haha, Touche.
The serious side of the point being made though is that Star Wars was purposely set in the past. So it's not trying to be futuristic at all. The fantasy aspect people keep bringing up is pretty much summed up by the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" bit.
Snoggy Mack
My Blog
My quote: "All the other kids with the pumped up Sith, you better run, better run, faster than my blaster"

Nydus
01.24.2013 , 11:04 AM | #14
Unfuturistic. I guess this is not just relatable to SWTOR but to the movies as well. Everything just seems fake and not inspired by anything that is extremely high-tech. I know for the most part things *seem* futuristic, with coruscant, droids, space travel. But they don't (atleast for me) *feel* futuristic. I'll point some stuff out to help illustrate my point.
I always hate getting into this argument, but Star Wars is not classical science fiction. I know people grew up with it and see shiny space ships and space battles and assume it is but it is actually quite aberrant from most science fiction.

You may be better served by viewing it as part of the fantasy genre. And honestly, their are countless of reasons why but the best illustration is force = magic.

And if you think about it in more depth, how does a hyper drive operate? How do droids possess intelligence? Answer = magic.

How does this differ from classical science fiction? Because it attempts -- sometimes badly -- to back up technology with hard science. For example, we know the mass and size of Ringworld and how fast it spins around the star and the gravity within, we know how HAL is supposedly programmed and how power is generated on the Discovery and ALL of this is actually extrapolations from 1960s physics that is now feasible, we know how holodecks supposedly work and the mechanics of warp drive....

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but Star Wars is VERY unique within science-fiction. At least it was when it came out. It was definitely something different, before Lucas the greats of science fiction (e.g. A.C.C.) were actually worried how their novels would be perceived in scientific communities.

Whedon and Lucas couldn't care less because they didn't create their stories to write a thesis on technology.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Jedirep
01.24.2013 , 12:57 PM | #15
Thank you guys for your input. Interesting reads.
Server: Jedi Covenant. The Poindexter legacy.

Feskondo, Jedi Knight 50 Mulgiss Sith Sorcerer 50 Jaffus Mercenary 50 Fod'krodi Scoundrel 46

mylegs
01.25.2013 , 02:25 PM | #16
No yea, you're absolutely right. I guess my quarrels are mostly with the star wars universe itself not just swtor.

I guess (to me) the mass effect universe seems more futuristic in a sense of the "techyness" and how it was mostly based around real life physics. Like if you ever wanted to know how the normandy got around in FTL travel, you could go to the codex and learn about element-zero. They gave you an actual sci-fi explanation of how the physics and everything worked.

In star wars, "O how do lightsabers work." Well, you put a crystal in the hilt, use the force, and bam! I know that's probably not entirely how it works but I'm sure you see the difference .
A lightsaber is essentially a battery thats focused through mutiple lenses, turning the energy into a plasma. Then the plasma is focus by the crystals (since plasma would destroy focus lenses), after that the high density plasma is sent through a emitter matrix (magnetic field generator) to keep the high energy from exploding and creating a bus size hole in the ground where you once stood. The emitter matrix is what also makes the plasma into the blade form. As the plasma is sent up for about a meter it heads back to the hilt towards the negative charged outer ring, which sends the energy back into the battery creating a circuit.

-if you didnt follow that explanation, picture a lightsaber as a water fountain in the middle of a park. Positive plasma goes up the middle and cascades down on the outside back into the battery.

(and yes that does mean lightsabers do run out of power eventually, and they have to be replaced with a new battery just like a blaster needs new energy packs)

so nothing to do with the force or magic, just basic physics that even we can replicate now a days. Only problem is we don't have enough energy to plasma at will let alone handheld, and we don't have magnets strong enough to contain the energy.

kirorx
01.26.2013 , 09:02 AM | #17
That's what makes starwars stand out

It not the future it's like an old western with space travel

The millineum falcon is a space ship but its a piece of junk and its fixed by chewy hitting it with a hydro spanner

The clothing is practical and modest and its all very basic

Just look at the troopers and boba fetts armor dented and dusty

This is what set starwars part from other scifi franchises its not futuristic and sleak it's dirty and dark
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU