Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

An in-depth look at: The Jedi Councils

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: The Jedi Councils

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
01.22.2013 , 01:13 PM | #1
I know it's not part 4 of The Great Sith War, but that is coming today (along with the Exar Kun thread), but I thought I would make this thread as a precursor to my revamp of An in-depth look at the Jedi and Sith. So this thread is about the Jedi Councils.

Council of First Knowledge

"When I took the Jedi Oath, I pledged my hands to the laws of The Republic and my mind to the ways of The Force."- Even Piell, member of the Council of First Knowledge

The Council of First Knowledge guards the Jedi Archives and distributes its knowledge and insight to Initiates of the Jedi Order, though older members of the Order would seek the Council's knowledge if they needed it. The Council of First Knowledge was also charged with the destruction of Sith Teachings and Artifacts, however some Sith Holocrons were stored within the deepest vaults of the Jedi Archives.

The Council of First Knowledge held five members, one being a permanent member. The other four would step down after a five year term. The permanent member served as the Caretaker of Knowledge and guarded the Holocron Chamber of the Jedi Archives.

The Council of First Knowledge sat at the northwest corner of the Jedi Temple, and would remain intact until the end of the Clone Wars and the Great Jedi Purge.

Council of Reconciliation

"Fame, recognition- a Jedi seeks not these things."- Plo Koon, leader of the Council of Reconciliation

The Council of Reconciliation served as the diplomatic branch of the Jedi Order. Members of the Reconciliation Council worked in similar fashion to the Jedi High Council by working with the Office of the Supreme Chancellor and the Republic Diplomatic Corps. Members of the Council aided in political disputes between the Republic and other outside parties.

The Reconciliation Council also served as the court of the Jedi Order. If a Jedi committed a crime or had come close, or had fallen, to the Dark Side, the Reconciliation Council would deal with the matter. On some occassions, other Jedi or witnesses would be asked to provide testimony in a particular case. The Council of Reconciliation would make a decision and that decision was final. In this case, the Council of Reconciliation held more authority than the High Council.

The Council held five seats, two permanent, the others rotating. During the final years of the Jedi Order's Golden Age, the permanent seats were held by Master Oppo Rancisis and Master Plo Koon. The other three seats saw esteemed Jedi Masters such as Master Yoda, Mace Windu and Ki-Adi Mundi.

Council of Reassignment

"I imprisoned the surviving Jedi Service Corps members on Byss. Even the strongest were easy to turn to the Dark Side."- Darth Sidious

The Reassignment Council deals with the Assignment of Initiates who fail their Initiate's trials several times. These Initiates would be deployed with the Jedi Service Corps to aid the galaxy in more humble work. Some Jedi are assigned to the Agriculture Corps, the Medical Corps, the Education Corps, or the Exploration Corps.

The Reassignment Council would also take in Jedi that either failed their Knight Trials. Some Jedi would view the humble work of the Service Corps as unexciting compared to the duties of the Knights of the Jedi Order, but even full members of the Jedi Order join the Service Corps to apply their talents and skills to help others.

Jedi High Council

"Grand Master of the Order am I"- Master Yoda, Grand Master of the Jedi Order

The Jedi High Council acts as the highest authority in the Jedi Order. Many of the Order's most wise and powerful members would hold seats on the High Council, charged with guiding the Order in its duties to the galaxy and The Force itself.

The High Council dealt with all matters of the Jedi Order and worked closely with the Office of the Supreme Chancellor. The High Council would act as advisors to the Supreme Chancellor, offering him their wisdom and insight in The Force. At times, the authority of the Chancellor would clash with the authority of the Jedi Council, but would be resolved. One case of this is when Supreme Chancellor Palpatine used the power he gained from Emergency Powers given to him to make Anakin Skywalker's appointment to the Council legal. The Council was forced to accept the nomination, but in turn gained a spy.

Normally, appointment to the High Council required a unanimous vote from the current twelve Masters. Five members of the Council held permanent seats, four held long-term seats, and three held temporary seats. The three temporary members were usually members of the other Councils, and sat on the High Council to provide the wisdom of the other three Councils.

The High Council had been created upon the inception of the Jedi Order and would serve the galaxy until its destruction at the end of the Clone Wars. Luke Skywalker would recreate the High Council when he rebuilt the Jedi Order.


*Without using the wiki, can you name the twelve members of the High Council during the final years of the Order?


Have a request? Post it below, in the Index, or PM me!
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

DMOMO's Avatar


DMOMO
01.22.2013 , 01:47 PM | #2
I would really like to see a post on either Bane or Zannah.

Quick question: What is your opinion of Bane as a character and as a Sith?
"They always lock the door. You’d think they’d have learned by now. Doesn’t look like there’s a key – that would be too easy. The console to unlock the door is probably hidden in some room twelve floors up or something… how does that make sense?"
―Kyle Katarn

TalonVII's Avatar


TalonVII
01.22.2013 , 01:48 PM | #3
I only know some, and by the golden years i think you mean the clone wars?

Well here is as many as i can name:

Kit Fisto
Ki-Amun-di
Yoda
Mace Windu
Obi-wan Kenobi
Shaak Ti[i think i could be dead wrong]
Plo Koon
Anakin Skywalker[yes in the final months he was on the council]

That's 8, i can't remember the other 4 or 5 if i got Shaak Ti wrong.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
01.22.2013 , 02:12 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
I only know some, and by the golden years i think you mean the clone wars?

Well here is as many as i can name:

Kit Fisto
Ki-Amun-di
Yoda
Mace Windu
Obi-wan Kenobi
Shaak Ti[i think i could be dead wrong]
Plo Koon
Anakin Skywalker[yes in the final months he was on the council]

That's 8, i can't remember the other 4 or 5 if i got Shaak Ti wrong.
You have those right. The other members are less known.

You got Shaak Ti right.


Quote: Originally Posted by DMOMO View Post
I would really like to see a post on either Bane or Zannah.

Quick question: What is your opinion of Bane as a character and as a Sith?
Bane is an interesting character. He was, at first, your typical Sith Warrior (rage and all that), but he evolved into something more. He turned out to be quite smart. He isn't your typical Sith Lord, in my opinion. I really liked the Bane books.

Bane and Zannah are definitely in the future.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.22.2013 , 03:32 PM | #5
Quote:
At times, the authority of the Chancellor would clash with the authority of the Jedi Council, but would be resolved.
Really? I here their was some dispute concerning the enacting of Order 66...

And Jedi Council Members:

Yoda
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Plo Koon
Shaak Ti
Yaddle
Mace Windu
Ki Adi Mundi
Even Piell
Kit Fisto
Luminari Unduli
Anakin Skywalker
Stass Allie? (I think thats how you spell it... though that may have been her cousin...)

Iridonian dude...
Iktotchi dude...
Guy with the really long neck...
Snake man with beard?

That's more than 12, so I'm guessing some of them died and were replaced... And I guess I don't get marks for the last four.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
01.22.2013 , 03:51 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Really? I here their was some dispute concerning the enacting of Order 66...

And Jedi Council Members:

Yoda
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Plo Koon
Shaak Ti
Yaddle
Mace Windu
Ki Adi Mundi
Even Piell
Kit Fisto
Luminari Unduli
Anakin Skywalker
Stass Allie? (I think thats how you spell it... though that may have been her cousin...)

Iridonian dude...
Iktotchi dude...
Guy with the really long neck...
Snake man with beard?

That's more than 12, so I'm guessing some of them died and were replaced... And I guess I don't get marks for the last four.
Iridonian dude is Agen Kolar. Iktotchi dude is Saesee Tiin. Long neck man is Yareal Poof (he's not Kaminoan just FYI ). And snake man with the long beard is Oppo Rancisis.

As for the Councill at the end of the Clone Wars, the members are as follows:

Yoda- Grand Master and Master of the Order
Mace Windu- Chief liason between the Jedi Order and the Office of the Supreme Chancellor
Ki-Adi Mundi- held a life-time seat (IIRC)
Plo Koon- leader of the Council of Reconciliation and life-time member of the High Council
Saesee Tiin- (I would continue with their positions, but I'm not entirely sure)
Kit Fisto
Agen Kolar
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Stass Allie
Anakin Skywalker
Shaak Ti
Coleman Kcaj- here's his wiki link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coleman_Kcaj

Yoda perished on Dagobah.
Mace Windu was killed by Darth Sidious
Ki-Adi Mundi was killed on Mygeeto
Plo Koon was killed on Cato Nemoidia
Tiin, Kolar and Fisto were killed by Darth Sidious
Obi-Wan Kenobi was killed by Darth Vader
Stass Allie was killed on Saleucami
Anakin Skywalker was killed above Endor (as a redeemed Darth Vader)
Shaak Ti was killed on Felucia
Coleman Kcaj's fate is unknown (to me)

^Necessary? Nope!
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Darkondo's Avatar


Darkondo
01.22.2013 , 03:51 PM | #7
Yoda
Mace Windu
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ki-Adi Mundi
Kit Fitso
Agen Kolar
Sassee Tin
Shaak Ti
Plo Koon
Stass Allie
Anakin Skywalker
Coleman Kcaj: I admit i had to look it up to get this guy

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
01.22.2013 , 04:06 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkondo View Post
Yoda
Mace Windu
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ki-Adi Mundi
Kit Fitso
Agen Kolar
Sassee Tin
Shaak Ti
Plo Koon
Stass Allie
Anakin Skywalker
Coleman Kcaj: I admit i had to look it up to get this guy
Very good. Yeah, Coleman was not an easy one to get. Though you could have said 'that Ongree fellow!' and I would have said 'YES!'
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
01.22.2013 , 04:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Iridonian dude is Agen Kolar. Iktotchi dude is Saesee Tiin. Long neck man is Yareal Poof (he's not Kaminoan just FYI ). And snake man with the long beard is Oppo Rancisis.

As for the Councill at the end of the Clone Wars, the members are as follows:

Yoda- Grand Master and Master of the Order
Mace Windu- Chief liason between the Jedi Order and the Office of the Supreme Chancellor
Ki-Adi Mundi- held a life-time seat (IIRC)
Plo Koon- leader of the Council of Reconciliation and life-time member of the High Council
Saesee Tiin- (I would continue with their positions, but I'm not entirely sure)
Kit Fisto
Agen Kolar
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Stass Allie
Anakin Skywalker
Shaak Ti
Coleman Kcaj- here's his wiki link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coleman_Kcaj

Yoda perished on Dagobah.
Mace Windu was killed by Darth Sidious
Ki-Adi Mundi was killed on Mygeeto
Plo Koon was killed on Cato Nemoidia
Tiin, Kolar and Fisto were killed by Darth Sidious
Obi-Wan Kenobi was killed by Darth Vader
Stass Allie was killed on Saleucami
Anakin Skywalker was killed above Endor (as a redeemed Darth Vader)
Shaak Ti was killed on Felucia
Coleman Kcaj's fate is unknown (to me)

^Necessary? Nope!
Hey I got 8! Not bad right! (Technically I got all of them, apart from Kcaj )

So who replaced Even Piell? Yaddle it seems was replaced by Shaak Ti.

And what about Oppo and Poof? Were they on a different Council? I actually almost got Poof. I thought 'Po' and looked it up. But nothing

Speaking of the Jedi Council. I think this is really cool. Kazdan Paratus's makeshift Jedi Temple.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
01.22.2013 , 04:33 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Hey I got 8! Not bad right! (Technically I got all of them, apart from Kcaj )

So who replaced Even Piell? Yaddle it seems was replaced by Shaak Ti.

And what about Oppo and Poof? Were they on a different Council? I actually almost got Poof. I thought 'Po' and looked it up. But nothing

Speaking of the Jedi Council. I think this is really cool. Kazdan Paratus's makeshift Jedi Temple.
I can't say for sure who replaced who, but I know of a few.

Obi-Wan replaced Depa Billaba
Poof was replaced by Coleman Trebor (the poor guy that got killed by Jango).
Adi Gallia was replaced by Stass Allie
Plo Koon replaced Tyvokka

I'm not entirely sure on the rest, though.

And Kazdan's Temple looks pretty cool. The inside isn't that great, but the outside is really good.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus