Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crash To Desktop (SOLVED FOR ME) maybe you to.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Crash To Desktop (SOLVED FOR ME) maybe you to.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zastio
01.22.2013 , 08:35 AM | #1
Yes you all I have had that crash to desktop as well. Random and also in the instances the foundry at the first conversation and black talon and esessels at the end of it. Same crash each time.

Now my wife and I both was getting these crash to desktops and well there wasn't much differant in our systems.
Mine:
Asus Maximus Formula V MB
I7 3770k Ivy bridge
G.Skill DDR3 2400mhz 1.65v and also a set of G.Skill 1600mhz 1.5v
Palit GTX 570
Sound Blaster 3d Recon Fatality
PSU 850 Gold series by NZXT

Hers:
MSI P67A GD65 (B3 Stepping)
I7 2600K
G.Skill DDR3 1600mhz 1.5v and set of cruical 1600mhz
Gigabyte GTX 570 and also a spare msi gtx 570
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality series
PSU 850 Gold series by NZXT

Now after all the updates and BIOS flashes and more updates I ran out of ideas untill a guildie said something about having issues with sound blaster and I also rememered I had issues with sound blaster in the past as well.

well I decided to take out my sound card which I really like and use the onboard sound on my motherboard. Using the realtek driver from the boards download section.

Then I ran Black Talon and got to the end of it and wow no crash at all awsome. Then I ran foundry and wow again no crash. I am one happy camper now.

A few other things I noticed after the change up and my wifes rig as well is that when the mobs would do a knock back attack, before with the sound blasters in I noticed that my toon would just hang in air about a meter from the knockback location. Kinda like he was stuck and this happend all the time, of course after hanging in the air for what seemed longer then need be he would then be able to move around again. This was also gone after removing the sound blasters. Knockbacks where now smooth and working as intending with full animation.

If your already using onboard sound and getting these same crash to desktop I would not know which sound card to use to fix this. All I can say is don't use sound blaster unless of course a fix is found.

I hope this helps out. Oh ya I am also hearing a lot more sounds coming in I never heard befor as well.

Mostrous
01.22.2013 , 05:45 PM | #2
Thanks for this great info, though it won't help me in my case since I am using on-board realtek one. But I really appreciate it since i was thinking of getting a better one to use my 5.1 speakers from my older system.

Braxxiss
01.22.2013 , 05:59 PM | #3
Unfortunately this won't work for me, I already use the onboard sound card....I don't crash in the flashpoints esseless or black talon, but I can be just running/riding my speeder down the road, and "wham" straight to desktop...I've been having it happen so much lately it is starting to get very annoying. This has been happening for over a year...I've been playing since before release....I wish they would get to work on this.
Sword in a Box. Never forget.

RagingKay
01.22.2013 , 06:46 PM | #4
Not sure how I found this the other day but I stumbled on a post that talked about this program that could help with the memory leak and by extension the crashes. I haven't the slightest on how it works but I tried it and surprisingly I didn't get a crash after playing for over an hour like I normally would have. Not only that but the problems I had with space combat where my blasters would do no damage seem to be gone as well. Going to try it some more this weekend or tomorrow after class just to see how good it is but I'm pretty convinced it should be able to help. Here's the link to the app and the post I found it on

http://http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=585010

http://download.cnet.com/KoshyJohn-M...-75176624.html

Hopefully this helps anyone else that's affected with this problem
Covenant of the Phoenix (Shadowlands)
“Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side,
and it holds the universe together.” - Carl Zwanzig

Zastio
01.22.2013 , 09:34 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Braxxiss View Post
Unfortunately this won't work for me, I already use the onboard sound card....I don't crash in the flashpoints esseless or black talon, but I can be just running/riding my speeder down the road, and "wham" straight to desktop...I've been having it happen so much lately it is starting to get very annoying. This has been happening for over a year...I've been playing since before release....I wish they would get to work on this.
Ya that sucks I was also getting the random crashes along with the flashpoint crashes, kinda seemed like to me the problem was one and the same.

I have had no random crash yet either since I redid my sound setup.

Another idea I know people dont like it but I have had more bad ram then I can count in fact the core I5 I just built for my daughter, I got her some g.skill 1866mhz and I am starting to think its a bad pair. So I am going to order another set at that speed for back up if not. So anyhow check out your ram with a memory test program.

Soteirian
01.23.2013 , 01:47 AM | #6
Seems like a LOT of people are running into crashing at the end of FP issue (myself included). The various workarounds provided in this forum, while better than nothing, are not really feasible for everyone. For example:

One would think that by now Bioware should be able to reproduce the problem and fix it.

Beesodd
01.23.2013 , 03:32 AM | #7 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for the detailed post Zastio.

As others have mentioned, this isn't a fix for everyone, but it's still very helpful.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Zastio
01.24.2013 , 09:34 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Thanks for the detailed post Zastio.

As others have mentioned, this isn't a fix for everyone, but it's still very helpful.
I hope it helps out and gets things more fixed up.

Now I havnt had any random crashes of late either since this fix and also I have been getting knocked around all over the place its great!! One FP I kept getting punted across the room which was awsome and another time some empire guard dude knocked me up on top of some ledge which I got to look down on the action. The game is now a lot more fun now but sometimes I will get caught on the edge of an object and that is the only time I get hung in the air now. I have now idea how sound effects getting knocked back but it sure was.

Laiham
01.24.2013 , 06:03 PM | #9
i remember a friend having a constant problem with battlefield 3 crashes that turned out to be caused by his integrated realtek sound card. so kinda the opposite of this.

he went out to buy a cheapo 5€ usb sound card and used that. boom. no more crashes.

tech be weird
"So that's it. You've grown a moustache!"
- Darth Vader