Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Pyro PVE Guide


bbare's Avatar


bbare
01.23.2013 , 01:18 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by wetslampigduex View Post
Not a bad guide. I just have one lil bone to pick with it. You say during burst or "burn" phases to use abilities such as Flamethrower and Death From Above. The issue i have is both of those abilities on a single target is going to be a dps loss(more so Flamethrower). Unless you have crazy rng and get crits on every tick.

Edit: Not you didn't say durning burn phases, but you did say to max your dps.
Flamethrower will generally put up less damage than two flame bursts in the "filler" stage. Death From above will put up more damage than two flame bursts in the "filler" stage if you know how to quickly place the ground spell. However, both of those abilities are more heat-efficient, meaning more PPA rail procs, more IM refreshes, and more overall damage. Flamethrower and Death From Above also have less variance, meaning more consistent damage.
The Vanity Legacy

wetslampigduex's Avatar


wetslampigduex
01.24.2013 , 08:42 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
Flamethrower will generally put up less damage than two flame bursts in the "filler" stage. Death From above will put up more damage than two flame bursts in the "filler" stage if you know how to quickly place the ground spell. However, both of those abilities are more heat-efficient, meaning more PPA rail procs, more IM refreshes, and more overall damage. Flamethrower and Death From Above also have less variance, meaning more consistent damage.
Ok Flamethrower hits 4 times in 3 seconds from what i can tell by looking at about 10 different logs of mine. In order for Flamethrower to increase your DPS on a single target boss you need 3/4 of the ticks to crit(1687 crit and 950 non crit) to break 2k dps. 2003 dps if 3/4 crit. If only 2 cirt that's a huge drop off to 1758.

Death From Above hits 6 times in 3 seconds. From my logs (dfa never hits for the same amount so i took an average see crits anywhere from 1214-1249 so i used 1230 for crits and non crits from 672-690 so i used 680) i can see that in order for DFA to increase your DPS on a single target you need 4 of the 6 (3/4) ticks to crit. Comes out to 2093 dps if 4/6 crit and you can place the circle with no down time.

My way of thinking my not be correct maybe there is something i'm missing(please make me aware) but unless your crit chance is 75% i wouldnt use either Flamethrower or Death From Above on any single target boss.

OlosBC's Avatar


OlosBC
01.24.2013 , 12:25 PM | #13
Couple things for that analysis:

do you have armor debuff factored in with dfa?

What is your base comparison against?
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

wetslampigduex's Avatar


wetslampigduex
01.24.2013 , 12:43 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by OlosBC View Post
Couple things for that analysis:

do you have armor debuff factored in with dfa?

What is your base comparison against?
no i didnt factor armor debuffs. I just looked at 10 logs all with the same fight(KP NiM jarg and sorno) because thats the only fight i ever use those abilities on. It's more of a rough estimate than an exact calculation. Just took a rough avg of my Flamethrower crits and non crits and did the same with DFA. From what i could tell like i said before flame thower hits 4 times in 3 secs and DFA hits 6 times in 3 seconds. Then just figured home many ticks would need to be crits in order to bring it to a min of 2k dps over the 3 second channel.

I am by no means a theorycrafter. If i'm wrong please help me out. What i did was very basic and wouldn't doubt i'm missing things.

OlosBC's Avatar


OlosBC
01.24.2013 , 01:06 PM | #15
Was armor debuff present on them? It will affect the damage of dfa.

Thing is you need to compare the against either 2x flame burst (includes 1 extra cgc proc, also factor in 25 heat vs 32 heat, OR flame burst + rapid shots. (Not quite 1 extra cgc proc, 16 heat vs 25 heat), rather than just picking an arbitrary DPS number for you (filler) abilities.

Remember, this is only what we do when we can't be casting or proccing rail shot.

And I'm still a fan of prioritizing IM, then DFA, then FT for fillers. (Flame burst spam for burn phases/cool down use when vent heat is available)


Also, remember, if you're at 14 or less heat after you get PPA proc, do your filler first and then rail shot, to keep from bottoming out and losing regen. This is something I still need to work on.
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

wetslampigduex's Avatar


wetslampigduex
01.24.2013 , 02:38 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by OlosBC View Post
Was armor debuff present on them? It will affect the damage of dfa.

Thing is you need to compare the against either 2x flame burst (includes 1 extra cgc proc, also factor in 25 heat vs 32 heat, OR flame burst + rapid shots. (Not quite 1 extra cgc proc, 16 heat vs 25 heat), rather than just picking an arbitrary DPS number for you (filler) abilities.

Remember, this is only what we do when we can't be casting or proccing rail shot.

And I'm still a fan of prioritizing IM, then DFA, then FT for fillers. (Flame burst spam for burn phases/cool down use when vent heat is available)


Also, remember, if you're at 14 or less heat after you get PPA proc, do your filler first and then rail shot, to keep from bottoming out and losing regen. This is something I still need to work on.
AH HA, i see what you are saying now. not sure if i'll have time to figure this out before i get out of work, but tomorrow is another day.

Also 100% agree about IM i always keep it up... i get myself into trouble sometimes refreshing it to early cause i see TSO come of CD hit and and then go oh sh*t still got 10 secs left before that dot ticks off sob.

bbare's Avatar


bbare
01.24.2013 , 02:45 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by OlosBC View Post
Was armor debuff present on them? It will affect the damage of dfa.

Thing is you need to compare the against either 2x flame burst (includes 1 extra cgc proc, also factor in 25 heat vs 32 heat, OR flame burst + rapid shots. (Not quite 1 extra cgc proc, 16 heat vs 25 heat), rather than just picking an arbitrary DPS number for you (filler) abilities.

Remember, this is only what we do when we can't be casting or proccing rail shot.

And I'm still a fan of prioritizing IM, then DFA, then FT for fillers. (Flame burst spam for burn phases/cool down use when vent heat is available)


Also, remember, if you're at 14 or less heat after you get PPA proc, do your filler first and then rail shot, to keep from bottoming out and losing regen. This is something I still need to work on.
I struggle with that too. Sometimes I waste about 5 heat in the middle of boss fights, because there is so much going around I need to pay attention too.
The Vanity Legacy

OlosBC's Avatar


OlosBC
01.24.2013 , 02:47 PM | #18
Yeah its better to let IM fall off and use tso on dfa or ft than to reapply early.

Even with tso tho, only reapply IM in ppa downtime.
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

bbare's Avatar


bbare
01.25.2013 , 02:34 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by OlosBC View Post
Yeah its better to let IM fall off and use tso on dfa or ft than to reapply early.

Even with tso tho, only reapply IM in ppa downtime.
Let me clarify what I meant. You should use TSO as soon as it is off cooldown but only on IM, DFA or Flamethrower. The reason why IM should be priority is because it has the highest heat/gcd, 25. IM actually does a considerable amount of damage/heat because it is a dot. However, it is acceptable to use ISO on DFA or Flamethrower if your IM dot does not need to be refreshed, which will be the case a lot of the time.
The Vanity Legacy

OlosBC's Avatar


OlosBC
01.25.2013 , 10:40 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by bbare View Post
Let me clarify what I meant. You should use TSO as soon as it is off cooldown but only on IM, DFA or Flamethrower. The reason why IM should be priority is because it has the highest heat/gcd, 25. IM actually does a considerable amount of damage/heat because it is a dot. However, it is acceptable to use ISO on DFA or Flamethrower if your IM dot does not need to be refreshed, which will be the case a lot of the time.
Yea, spot on. Agree 100%
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.