Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

R/E frustrations

Luckily
01.22.2013 , 12:17 PM | #11
Nope, not broken. And, no offense, but if you don't enjoy the mechanics of crafting why craft? You can buy everything you need from others that enjoy it and usually at very reasonable prices.
IGN: Luck
Server: Prophecy of the Five, formerly The Chubbyman
Specialties: Making implants, hanging out barefoot on the fleet

PappaCube
01.22.2013 , 12:33 PM | #12
I have been very lucky so far and i have a toon making armor and mods and earpieces for like 4 other toons. I think its like the one guy said when there is a random number roll involved it is indeed random. And i too have R/Ed like 12 or more before i get the schematic upgrade but then i get like 3-4 back to back. No problems here. And yea please don't mention EQ crafting..... oh my fingers hurt thinking about it.
Proud Owner of SW:TOR Collector's Edition

PappaCube
01.22.2013 , 12:40 PM | #13
@asbalana: I like the gambling sort of feel R/E has. Its that excitement that makes the game entertaining. I am not really a gambler but you know what i mean?
Proud Owner of SW:TOR Collector's Edition

craic_fox
01.22.2013 , 01:42 PM | #14
I've had some pretty bad runs lately, so I was wondering if that 20% is static or if it is a base chance that's subject to other modifiers? I've also noticed that I tend to get better results when I RE a bio stack than when I RE individual armour or synth items etc. It's probably just the luck of the roll, but it does appear that I get better results from a stack of 5 than from 5 individuals.

Alandross
01.22.2013 , 03:37 PM | #15
I definitely think that having such a crucial aspect of a crafting skill be so completely based on random is very bad.

Some variability makes the system interesting, but considering how key RE'ing is to the skills to have to rely fully on a gambling mechanic for something like crafting feels out of place.

Would really like it if 20% wasn't the chance but the worst case scenario... meaning at most it will take 5 times to RE something. This allows you to calculate the risk much more accurately and considering crafting in RP terms is supposed to be a skill based set of professions the current level of random doesn't really make sense.

Khevar
01.22.2013 , 05:08 PM | #16
I would be happy with a complete overhaul of crafting with totally new mechanics.

However, with what we got (and isn't likely to change) it basically works.

I've had bouts of success with RE, and bouts of disasters.

Actually, whenever I RE a Black Hole or Dread Guard mod, I feel like I'm at the track betting on the 4 horse to place at 40-1 odds. That 3.8 seconds is pretty nerve wracking to see if I get the swoosh sound or not.

"And coming in from the rear is Agile Mod 26, trying to pass One Molec at the rail, can he make it?"

psandak
01.22.2013 , 05:18 PM | #17
The biggest problem is player mentality - we always remember the bad streak runs and forget when we got three in a row. The good and the bad balance out over a LONG period of time AND across ALL players who RE; you may be in the middle of a bad streak but the player righht next to you may have gotten two schems in a row.

Starburster
01.22.2013 , 05:55 PM | #18
Being someone who almost loathes the RNG aspect of many things, I must say crafting in SWTOR often makes me want to take up drinking (Kidding...sorta). Being an omnicrafter it has always boggled my mind that we have these characters that can help shape and mold the galaxy, yet they are all so daft they cannot get better when making a crafting related mistake. Just my 2 cents on this...for now

Facime
01.23.2013 , 01:34 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckily View Post
Nope, not broken. And, no offense, but if you don't enjoy the mechanics of crafting why craft? You can buy everything you need from others that enjoy it and usually at very reasonable prices.

Who said anything about not enjoying it? I simply thought the process might have been bugged.

As it turns out I tried relogging after the terrible run of luck and got a schem on the 3rd attempt after that so PERHAPS...that had something to do with it.

As for those of you saying its a re-roll each time. I understand that, but Im wondering how many of you might not understand odds and statistics. The way it works is like this: Statistically I have a one in 5 chance of hitting a schematic. That means that the more times I attempt and fail, the greater my odds are that I will hit on the next attempt...statistically speaking of course. When you dont hit after 30 or 40 attempts, either the mechanic is broken or you are deep nito a statistical anomally.

If you flipped a coin 10 times and hit heads every time, wouldnt you question whether or not the coin was "rigged"?

Again, I wasnt actually complaining about this topic. I am well aware of the limitations of the system. Just couldnt fathom how my luck was soooo bad for so long.

Count_Midnite
01.23.2013 , 02:40 AM | #20
Eh, I have a guildmaster who hates the R/E System in here. He has all of the schematics learned for his Artificer, but it's still pretty bad. I remember raging about how many Immunity Cell Cultures it took me to make a certain stim and R/E for blues, but I did have those times where I only had to R/E one and I got lucky.

I think for higher levels they should implement an increase odds system after each failure, would be nice to not hear people into crafting tell me about how they tried to learn a 26 Schematic only to find that he wasted about 16+ Stabilizers...