Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Rated WZ tournament on the Prophecy of the Five server

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Announcing a Rated WZ tournament on the Prophecy of the Five server

rhakoth
01.23.2013 , 12:06 AM | #21
Keep at it mate and so what if people comes in to try and ruin everything. They are only ruining the game for themselves as it will cause fewer people to do rated's and they will be stuck circle jerking with the same people over and over while others find different ways to enjoy the game.

The autonomy the internet provides will always shelter cowards unfortunately.

Personally I would be very interested in private rated tournaments, however I think untli you are well established and it's proven you can organise/ run one efficiently asking for $7 mil will deter a lot of players.

I would also suggest sticking with an 8 man format and having someone on their vent to verify they aren't cheating (as much as that allows).

Once a couple of tourney's have been a success I think you'll find more than enough willing players to start putting credits on the line.

Good luck and I'll keep my eye out for you =)

jjmartin
01.23.2013 , 05:47 PM | #22
Good Luck with your event. The hate in the thread is a bit extreme, imho.

I've run similar events for different games, and my advice is that you will learn A LOT from your first event. By the fourth or so you'll have it down pretty good. Don't get freaked out if things are bumpy the first time, learn from what goes wrong, and something will go wrong.

So, PvP community on this server - give it a shot, it might suck the first time, but it'll get better, and this is a good thing for all of you.

DeepFreese
01.23.2013 , 06:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by rhakoth View Post
It's no wonder people stay away from rated's in this game when the general opinion is unless you're mad leet and have the backing from the self entitled big leaguers G T F O.
Keep at it mate and so what if people comes in to try and ruin everything. They are only ruining the game for themselves as it will cause fewer people to do rated's and they will be stuck circle jerking with the same people over and over while others find different ways to enjoy the game.
This is what is wrong with this game. Nobody wants teams to G T F O of a ranked queue. We need teams to play against too, and its preseason(time to practice.) You aren't supposed to jump in a ranked game and just beat everyone. Ranked teams have time and practice together. Do you want them to just bend over and take a few losses so you can get your joillies? This is rated warzones... its the only competition this game has, and I sure as hell know every player that plays ranked is going to compete. Ruining the game because good teams beat bad teams? Ha.
Creus
The Squirtle Squad[The Harbinger}

rhakoth
01.23.2013 , 07:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by DeepFreese View Post
This is what is wrong with this game. Nobody wants teams to G T F O of a ranked queue. We need teams to play against too, and its preseason(time to practice.) You aren't supposed to jump in a ranked game and just beat everyone. Ranked teams have time and practice together. Do you want them to just bend over and take a few losses so you can get your joillies? This is rated warzones... its the only competition this game has, and I sure as hell know every player that plays ranked is going to compete. Ruining the game because good teams beat bad teams? Ha.
I was more referring to the comment that the guy organising the event needs to get the approval of the 'top teams' before it would be viable.

This game is not LoL and has no ranks, ladders or any means other than people taking the initiative to organise events themselves to match players against equally skilled players.

Rated is definitely for competative play but intentially going into someones comp with the sole purpose of ******** in their cereal is simply childish. Partake in the tournament normally, win it and try and help those that attended to get better. That is the only way you're going to generate interest in rateds considering the low pop this game has against other competative games.

I agree with you that losing to a better team is fine and if you try rated's, expect that to happen. Just don't be an absolute @sshat about it or intentially grief others that are trying to get into the scene. No one starts at the top and if you want new blood to come through the ranks for better competative play then it is in your best interest to at the very least not be a pr!ck to them and god forbid, even lend a hand...

DeepFreese
01.23.2013 , 08:05 PM | #25
I was more referring to the comment that the guy organising the event needs to get the approval of the 'top teams' before it would be viable.
I agree with you that losing to a better team is fine and if you try rated's, expect that to happen. Just don't be an absolute @sshat about it or intentially grief others that are trying to get into the scene. No one starts at the top and if you want new blood to come through the ranks for better competative play then it is in your best interest to at the very least not be a pr!ck to them and god forbid, even lend a hand...
I believe the point of him saying to talk to the top teams was more because of the incredible errors the OP has in this rnaked tournament. If you want to start a ranked tournament but don't understand that a team needs all 8 players to play at maximum efficiency for their team... then you really need help with the tournament and should turn to the top teams who have the most experience in ranked warzones.

I am not on this server, but from my experience all the top pvpers on our server are incredibly nice guys, and are always helpful. I think the top players on your server just think they deserve input in a tournament that will in the end come down to them. Frankly, the OP needs to take the incite of the top players because the tournament as set up now would be a joke in regards to real ranked PVP.

On a side note.. Why the hell is there a cost for this tournament? Why would a lower tiered team pay 7 million credits if they know they don't compete with the top teams? Isn't this supposed to entice players to try ranked?
Creus
The Squirtle Squad[The Harbinger}

cashogy_reborn
01.23.2013 , 08:06 PM | #26
might i suggest holding this tournament on the PTS, and opening up to all servers?
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

rhakoth
01.23.2013 , 11:48 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by DeepFreese View Post
I believe the point of him saying to talk to the top teams was more because of the incredible errors the OP has in this rnaked tournament. If you want to start a ranked tournament but don't understand that a team needs all 8 players to play at maximum efficiency for their team... then you really need help with the tournament and should turn to the top teams who have the most experience in ranked warzones.

I am not on this server, but from my experience all the top pvpers on our server are incredibly nice guys, and are always helpful. I think the top players on your server just think they deserve input in a tournament that will in the end come down to them. Frankly, the OP needs to take the incite of the top players because the tournament as set up now would be a joke in regards to real ranked PVP.

On a side note.. Why the hell is there a cost for this tournament? Why would a lower tiered team pay 7 million credits if they know they don't compete with the top teams? Isn't this supposed to entice players to try ranked?
As I have stated in my previous posts, which may not have not noticed - his ideas were terrible! I'm not denying that. But why on earth would someone go to the top teams when the first input was nothing but a tantrum. A long winded, self absorbed one at that.

Taking your logic further: If I want to have a football tournament amoungst local teams I should by rights as the professionals their opinions and if they will participate? I'm sorry, but this is a game and someone can host a party if they like without the need for anyone elses approval.

The only way to have some 8 man fun is through ranked. Maybe people realise they aren't the best but still want to do some 8 man pvp. Sure, they'll get beaten by the better teams, and rightly so, but why should the top teams feel the need to intentially isn't catered just for them?

And getting upset because you feel you're a top pvper and someone didn't get your confirmation first is just egotistical, man. If you're good, simply show up and let your wins prove it. If someone asks your opinion or you just have some advice to offer, do it politely. The guy was simply trying to get some action happening and rather than help out all he got was insulted because it wasn't fleshed out properly, rather than people just saying 'hey dude, have you thought this through completely...?'

Just because it's a ranked competition doesn't necessarily mean it's only for the pro's; especially considering there is no ranking system or other arena available for events to be held that is separate from the top teams.

If you think the comp is beneath you, doon't set out to intentially ruin it just because you can. You might as well walk along the beach and kick people's sand castles over because you don't think they are worthy of your very veiwing. Execpt then you would have to face that person rather than hide behind a keyboard.

lensmo
01.24.2013 , 01:57 AM | #28
I was at one point of time attempting to start a tournament on the Harbinger, and kudos for putting all this time in.

I warn you though that you will not get all these matches in in one day considering the finalists (assuming 8 teams) would have played around 10 matches, which during rateds and then delays from other matches will make this tournament last at least 12 hours if well managed.
Sincerely,
~~~~~SIRLEN~~~~~~~~~~LENCOOL~~~~~
<Squirtle Squad> - The Harbinger

MegaHeals
01.24.2013 , 09:11 AM | #29
Seriously, you all make me laugh, Please keep telling me how bad my idea is so people keep viewing this post and eventually sign up for the tourney.

Please continue to think teams are going to not cheat and an observer or referree is uneccessary. The observers are there to be neutral parties, record video and referee things. If you don't have someone neutral who sees who wins, what is to stop both teams from coming back and say "we won", "no we won" and having a big argument, killing the tournament. What is your idea to prevent this from happening?

If you don't have somebody recording the match and record cheating in progress, what's to stop people from cheating. How do you suggest to address this issue?

Two teams with the same amount of players (7 on 7) makes the game even, and addresses cheating. There is no warzone you can't win because you have the same amount of players on each team. Expand your mind and rethink how you play a warzone to adjust to having 7 instead of 8. If your team is truly a top team you would say bring it on. One of these days we'll have 16 man warzones and it'll be "oh, I can't fight as well because it's 15 on 15"...... Silly argument.

Where can I find these top teams to ask their opinions on tournament rules. I didn't know we had a ranking system or a pecking order, and I didn't know I had to ask permission to post on a free internet web board.

Don't be mad because my suggested rules make the game more fair. You'll die of stress related hyper-tension before you are 40.

We are taking constructive criticism on format changes to the tournament. If you have suggestions please present them in a professional manner and they will be reviewed. Teams that have signed up and paid will receive more considerations than those who have not. Thank you!

Exothermix
01.24.2013 , 10:55 AM | #30
(1) Nice idea

(2) I don’t see a problem with 7 vs 7 except that people aren’t used to forming a group with that number, generally (for me at least) its 4, 6 or 8 – people stating things like “have you ever had a WZ where someone leaves” as a comparable is a bit strange to me as that would result in 8 vs 7… i.e. an advantage to one side.

(3) Sorry to see that people are being overly critical of this in a lot of cases not providing any constructive criticism.

(4) When PTS comes live I was contemplating trying to arrange some 4v4 / 6v6 matches in an open PvP area…not objective based but in a best of 5 ‘to the death’ format. After seeing the responses to your idea I think I will save my breath!
Ex'xo- Looking for PvP guild
Sith inquisitor - Tomb of Freedon Nadd