Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who's Hurting Me? Big Hitters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Who's Hurting Me? Big Hitters

Wainamoinen
01.20.2013 , 07:02 PM | #1
With all the complaints about Smash, I thought I'd look at my combat logs to find out what abilities were hitting me hardest, and which were hitting me hard most often. Burst is much more important than sustained in PvP, so these are the things that kill you. I've posted a screen grab of the result in case anyone's interested in actual numbers.

I pulled all the hits on me of over 5k from 1st December 2012 to 14 Jan 2013. A month and a half of warzones.
I haven't included my own hits, because they will have been on a variety of targets and aren't comparable (other than maybe to see how my max damage varied over time, not interested in that for this post's purposes).
The target they are all on (me) is a Scoundrel with around 1300 expertise (from just under at the beginning of the period to just over at the end). I think this variation is small enough to make them fairly comparable.
My Scoundrel is of course Rep, so there is a bias towards Imp abilities. However, SWTOR's mirror classes allow us to pair abilities for a combined total. I included some Rep abilities on the list as they were mirrors even though I wasn't hit for over 5k by them.

Pic of the results here:
http://tinypic.com/r/244upoo/6

The highlights:
Hit for 5k or more 460 times.
Biggest hit was a 7271 Smash.
88.5% of hits over 5k were either Smash or Force Sweep.
The second hardest-hitting ability was Maul/Shadow Strike, with a high of 5856, and 5.2% of greater than 5k hits.
Eight pairs of abilites managed to hit me for over 5k in the month and a half. Other than the two mentioned, these were:
Force Scream/Blade Storm
Heatseeker Missiles/Demolition Round
Ambush/Aimed Shot
Vicious Throw/Dispatch
Ravage/Master Strike
Rail Shot/High Impact Bolt

Four of the eight abilities hitting me over 5k are Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior attacks (available to both Sentinel/Marauder and Guardian/Juggernaut advanced classes).
No Sage/Sorceror or Scoundrel/Operative advanced class abilities hit me for over 5k in the month and a half of warzones.

The number of times an ability appears could be affected by the number of opponents I faced. The JK/SW warrior abilities as basic class abilites are available to four advanced classes, so could be expected to be twice as common as an advanced-class-only ability even with equal numbers of opponent in each class.
A related point is class popularity. Although I can't believe it applies to Sages/Sorcs, a lack of Scoundrel/Operative opponents might help explain the absence of Shoot First/Hidden Strike.
If a lot of people are playing JK/SW, that would give a boost to the numbers of times I'm hit by their abilities outside the ability being stronger.
The popularity argument risks being circular though, as it leads you to ask "why are they playing (or not playing), these dps classes?", and the answer is likely to be "the amount of damage they do".

Ah well, take what you want from it.
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

RankorSSGS
01.20.2013 , 07:07 PM | #2
Interesting stuff, thanks for that.
Vesharia, Zannáh, Xeshara Retired due to broken class
Jetii'ka - Combat/Focus Bloodfrenzie - Carnage/Rage
Pot5/Bastion

TalkingDinosaur
01.20.2013 , 07:13 PM | #3
Very nicely made. Good to see something fresh on the PvP forums.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

Rincewend
01.20.2013 , 07:22 PM | #4
A great Idea, I think we should look into more studies like this. I know people will say that there are more knight/Mara's in PVP now so that will inflate the numbers, but I think that alone is a comment on the state of the game.

The biggest single hit ability I know for Sorcs is TB with affliction up (for the crit). It rare to see it in PVP because people are going hybrid. Even than the best I have done is 4.5k with 1300 ex.

SammuelSK
01.20.2013 , 07:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Wainamoinen View Post
Four of the eight abilities hitting me over 5k are Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior attacks (available to both Sentinel/Marauder and Guardian/Juggernaut advanced classes).
I think this is personally the most telling statistic. I've mentioned it a few times myself in the past, namely that its silly how many abilities this one spec(not even going to say class) has that hit for over 5000k, while other classes exist that don't even have a single attack capable of doing that.

I've watched a buddy pull of pretty rediculous hits with Smash, I believe his last recorded personal best was 8200, then follow it up with 5500 Vicious Throws or Force Screams.

Oh.. and its an AOE attack.
Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller
We have very measurable statistics that tell us if people lose a certain number of Warzones in a row being stun locked by a team of Operatives, then that might be part of that, and they will be not as likely to re-subscribe.

DarthNofu
01.20.2013 , 07:42 PM | #6
Graph format. Best I could do: Smash is OP.

From this data you can make two hypothesis.

(1) More smash hits is because the skill is OP and does not require a skilled or geared player to do.

(2) There are more Smash hits because of more Juggs.

I'd be interested in helping with this data.

Blasphemerr
01.20.2013 , 07:46 PM | #7
The raw data would be wonderful.
Something pretentious.

DarthNofu
01.20.2013 , 07:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthNofu View Post
(2) There are more Smash hits because of more Juggs.
I think I might go along with this data. I will go into a warzone and count at the end of the WZ the classes for each team and count mirrors together. Maybe then we can see a certain fluctuation. I will do this for a month.

Xeraz
01.20.2013 , 08:08 PM | #9
Damning evidence imo
"Who I am is not important, my message is."

Andrew_Past
01.20.2013 , 08:44 PM | #10
If you got hit by dispatch for 5k, then you should have been hit by Takedown or Assassinate for 5k as well. Especially Assassinate (hits significantly harder than dispatch). Also, if anyone still played watchman, merc slash definitely can hit for more than 5k. Deception shock and discharge can get over 5k too. There's a few others too, but this is just an example.
And'rew - Guardian || And'ria - Sentinel || Praeteria - Juggernaut
The Past Legacy || POT5, Fatman Native
First Guardian Representative
AndrewPast - Twitch