Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming Violation Legitimate?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Gidrea
01.20.2013 , 11:09 AM | #1
I received an email that one of my character names was in violation of TOS.

How do I know this is a legitimate letter or a hoax? When I log in, there is no in game message telling me to change my character's name.

I have received fake emails before.

I forwarded the email to support@swtor.com, but I'd appreciate an quick answer so I can go back to playing that character without fear of action being taken against my account.
Gidrea / Kätastrophee / Stärry / Randava / Lexä / Buttërcup / Fraidy Cat - Satele Shan
Shock and Jawa / Full Metal Jawa - The family you choose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Stoofa
01.20.2013 , 11:11 AM | #2
If there is no in-game option to change your character name then there is just nothing you can do.
So I'd just sit tight and see if you ever get prompted to actually change it.

Gidrea
01.20.2013 , 12:46 PM | #3
Yes, I'm just going to wait for a while. I can play another toon, but it's annoying, this one was just getting interesting.

It's a concern because the email called me by another character's name, addressed to my real name, so if it's fake, someone has access to information they shouldn't have.

And I'm not rerolling at level 23.
Gidrea / Kätastrophee / Stärry / Randava / Lexä / Buttërcup / Fraidy Cat - Satele Shan
Shock and Jawa / Full Metal Jawa - The family you choose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

Rosielink
01.20.2013 , 02:12 PM | #4
Yeah, I would definitely change my password if that were to happen. I would also say to go ahead and keep playing the toon until you hear more about it. If you have no prompt to change the name in game, I don't see how you could get in trouble for not changing it before playing it again.

01.20.2013 , 04:16 PM | #5
Definitely sounds like a scam email. SWtoR won't ask you to delete a character in order to rename it. If you are in violation you would find the game would prompt you to put in a new name before you could log in on that character. Since it's not doing that then the email didn't come from SWtoR.

Don't click on any of the links in it and I would run a key logger check on your computer.

Icyy
01.20.2013 , 04:19 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Gidrea View Post
I received an email that one of my character names was in violation of TOS.

How do I know this is a legitimate letter or a hoax? When I log in, there is no in game message telling me to change my character's name.

I have received fake emails before.

I forwarded the email to support@swtor.com, but I'd appreciate an quick answer so I can go back to playing that character without fear of action being taken against my account.
If you are forced to rename a character, you will just see a big < ! > next to the name. You can still play and level the character now, just start thinking of a new name for it if the time comes you are required to rename.

Gidrea
01.20.2013 , 05:11 PM | #7
Thanks, everyone. I'm thinking it's some sort of phising deal. Frightening that they have so much information about my account. If it's a fake, I hope someone at CS looks into it. In the meantime I've made some security changes and am running MalwareBytes.

Gidrea
01.21.2013 , 05:38 PM | #8
Still no reply... can I get an answer from CS, please?

Bronholz
01.21.2013 , 06:19 PM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Gidrea,

Thanks for contacting us.

The only mails that you will receive from us will be from support@swtor.com, so if this came from any other mail address or if it asked you to send any account details then it will not be legitimate. Additionally as the other posters have stated, if there isn't a flag against the characters name then this mail will most likely not be legitimate.

As you have forwarded this to us it will be looked into, if you clicked any link in the mail I would recommend running a virus scan to make sure that you are secure.

Thanks.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

Gidrea
01.21.2013 , 08:20 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Greetings Gidrea,

Thanks for contacting us.

The only mails that you will receive from us will be from support@swtor.com, so if this came from any other mail address or if it asked you to send any account details then it will not be legitimate. Additionally as the other posters have stated, if there isn't a flag against the characters name then this mail will most likely not be legitimate.

As you have forwarded this to us it will be looked into, if you clicked any link in the mail I would recommend running a virus scan to make sure that you are secure.

Thanks.
Well, it SAYS it's from support@swtor.com, but we all know email can be faked. I forwarded it to that address.

Is swtoraccountdisputes@bioware.com a real address?

The only place that email address is associated with my real name is on my SWTOR account. This really needs to be investigated!