Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Getting left solo guarding...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Getting left solo guarding...

venomlash
01.19.2013 , 08:13 PM | #1
So, today I was playing Voidstar. Level 50 Republic side PUG, nothing too unusual except for some mind-numbingly dumb tactics.
We start out on defense, and I head to the right door along with two or three others. We fend off the initial wave of Imps, and then the entire rest of the team heads to the left door to help defend against a heavy onslaught there.

They left a Gunnery Commando to solo guard a door. Do they think I'm a Shadow tank or something?

Needless to say, I call the incs as soon as I see them and proceed to get stunlocked to death within ten seconds of first hit. Since nobody came to help me until I was already dead, we lose the door. And then the SAME EXACT THING happens on the second door. Everyone leaves but me, I call for a guard buddy before I even see any imps incoming on my side, but I get stunlocked by three imps, downed pretty quickly, and we lose the door. (Yeah, the Commando sucks pretty badly in 1v1s. We're only useful in support roles.)

I guess what I'm asking is if this seems to be a common occurrence (I've never had this happen to me before) and if anyone knows a way to prevent it when asking nicely doesn't help.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Banderal
01.19.2013 , 08:20 PM | #2
You are asking VS only? I think a solo guard is common, but not a non-stealth one. If there is a non-stealth one that looks like they are solo then usually they are really "bait". Sounds like your team wasn't paying attention to who they left over there, just that there was a purple icon on that side of the map (or maybe not even that).

V-Serp
01.19.2013 , 09:18 PM | #3
I used to always get stuck guarding solo as a Sage when I'd PUG. I'd still usually guard fine and have a ton of solo kills, but the class is garbage and not what I'd put as a guard strategically. I noticed though if I didn't do it nobody would, and I used to want to actually win in PVP so I'd just do it (and I won a lot even as a PUG).

I really hate the map design that you'd even need guards. When I'd premade usually a Guardian would handle guard duty for us, but we'd always be really quick to handle incoming and rotate around. I'd always urge my teams to rotate guard duty, and even the better PUG players will cover on rotations too. It's more fun that way and it's also safer. Nobody actually wants to guard because it's usually boring, and nobody appreciates it. I can't tell you how many times as a PUG some warzone hero would look at my stats and loudly explain "you are a bad" to everyone, while he runs off just padding damage stats (and usually not being effective).

The new VS with that wall is a little harder to rotate around but still doable. The other node capture maps are very easy to rotate on.

This is why I like Huttball so much. It's the only map in the game not based completely off TTK. Half the ACs in this game are utterly worthless in the other maps. In Huttball every single AC is viable. And the smashmonkeys aren't even just automatically dominant. It's also the only map where if it's a complete blowout, at least the game should be over quickly. I guess the new WZ maybe also is rather fast, but I don't have much exp with it since it never pops anyway. I've played it maybe twice.

darthgamer
01.20.2013 , 01:51 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
You are asking VS only? I think a solo guard is common, but not a non-stealth one. If there is a non-stealth one that looks like they are solo then usually they are really "bait". Sounds like your team wasn't paying attention to who they left over there, just that there was a purple icon on that side of the map (or maybe not even that).
Nothing wrong with being bait
Squadron 11-11-11

Darth-Rammstein
01.20.2013 , 03:52 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by V-Serp View Post
I can't tell you how many times as a PUG some warzone hero would look at my stats and loudly explain "you are a bad" to everyone, while he runs off just padding damage stats (and usually not being effective).
This is the worst part of being stuck defending a node, it kills your stats....you very well were the reason your team won the match but your teammates will look at your total damage and think you're a noob. /sigh
Belgoth's Beacon ----> The Fatman ----> Prophecy of the Five

NoTomorrow
01.20.2013 , 03:56 AM | #6
I just cannot get rid of this thougt everytime i see an arsenal commando, no matter how hard i try i hear this loud noise in my head: Free kill! I am sorry.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Boyana
01.20.2013 , 04:37 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by venomlash View Post
So, today I was playing Voidstar. Level 50 Republic side PUG, nothing too unusual except for some mind-numbingly dumb tactics.
We start out on defense, and I head to the right door along with two or three others. We fend off the initial wave of Imps, and then the entire rest of the team heads to the left door to help defend against a heavy onslaught there.

They left a Gunnery Commando to solo guard a door. Do they think I'm a Shadow tank or something?

Needless to say, I call the incs as soon as I see them and proceed to get stunlocked to death within ten seconds of first hit. Since nobody came to help me until I was already dead, we lose the door. And then the SAME EXACT THING happens on the second door. Everyone leaves but me, I call for a guard buddy before I even see any imps incoming on my side, but I get stunlocked by three imps, downed pretty quickly, and we lose the door. (Yeah, the Commando sucks pretty badly in 1v1s. We're only useful in support roles.)

I guess what I'm asking is if this seems to be a common occurrence (I've never had this happen to me before) and if anyone knows a way to prevent it when asking nicely doesn't help.
I was left on my Mercenary to solo guard in the new warzone many times
You know what was the worse? I once had a 'premade' in my team. One would think a premade, that is doing ranked, is smart enough not to leave Merc (healer) to solo guard in, not just that, any warzone.
It is not rare for me to solo guard on my healing Sorcer, too.

Raansu
01.20.2013 , 07:43 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by V-Serp View Post
In Huttball every single AC is viable.
hahaha nice jok...oh you were serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Smuglebunny
01.20.2013 , 09:09 AM | #9
This happens all the time on my gunnery commando. And what you do is, DONT BE THE LAST ONE THERE! LOL!

Just never put yourself in that position if possible. Stay 25-30m back from whatever objective you are guarding or attacking. When the group shifts move with them. They will be mad at the stealth classes for not guarding, not u if it gets left. And feel free to call out " 'side' is unguarded! "

As for a free kill, I find that I can duel down most people 1on1 if equally geared. But many times you get jumped and each person thinks they killed you but it was like 2 or 3 people. Most people dont interrupt and if they do I know what to do in response. I feel like gunnery commando is easy to play but hard to play REALLY well. But if you can manage its not that weak. We just need a root or 2. Maybe a 3 second combat stealth? And we'd be good.

Altheran
01.20.2013 , 09:17 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
hahaha nice jok...oh you were serious? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Futurama version