Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kaggath Tournament - Grievous vs Revan vs G0-T0

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Kaggath Tournament - Grievous vs Revan vs G0-T0

Beniboybling
01.21.2013 , 02:42 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
Just saying, General Grievous has four lightsabers. And Palpatine's lightning was stopped by one. Good luck frying him now, Revan.
It is possible to ground Force lightning on a lightsaber, but I would assume that such a feat cannot be done instinctively nor without proper training or concentration, things Grievous did not possess. Sure he probably has enough training with a lightsaber to create some sort of four-point shield, but Force lightning was also shown to be able to break through lightsaber defenses and strike the victim directly. For example when Sidious blasted Yoda, and the ability to create a 'superconducting loop' - which is what blocked Sidious' lighting - required tremendous still, concentration and effort.

But you do make a good point, his lightsabers would provide defense against Force lightning. But that would only by Grievous time, Revan can make an opening in Grievous' defenses and kill him that way. The guy is notorious for getting his limbs chopped off, and Revan has the Force to guide his attack. Still, it gives Grievous time to escape, but running isn't going to kill Revan, is it?

Aurbere
01.21.2013 , 03:19 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
It is possible to ground Force lightning on a lightsaber, but I would assume that such a feat cannot be done instinctively nor without proper training or concentration, things Grievous did not possess. Sure he probably has enough training with a lightsaber to create some sort of four-point shield, but Force lightning was also shown to be able to break through lightsaber defenses and strike the victim directly. For example when Sidious blasted Yoda, and the ability to create a 'superconducting loop' - which is what blocked Sidious' lighting - required tremendous still, concentration and effort.

But you do make a good point, his lightsabers would provide defense against Force lightning. But that would only by Grievous time, Revan can make an opening in Grievous' defenses and kill him that way. The guy is notorious for getting his limbs chopped off, and Revan has the Force to guide his attack. Still, it gives Grievous time to escape, but running isn't going to kill Revan, is it?
No, running won't kill Revan. A couple billion battle droids will.

And I wouldn't compare Revan's lightning to Sidious'. Major gap between the two.
Added Chapter 31 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling
01.21.2013 , 03:31 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
No, running won't kill Revan. A couple billion battle droids will.

And I wouldn't compare Revan's lightning to Sidious'. Major gap between the two.
Both good points, but there is also a major gap between Yoda's ability to wield and lightsaber and Grievous'. I think Grievous ineptitude in the finer points of lightsaber combat and inability to wield the Force (and also his ignorance of Force lightning) 'make up' if you like for Revan's lesser strength in Force lightning.

But yes, Grievous can put trillions of battle droids between himself and Revan. However Revan is tactically superior to Grievous, smarter, and can see the bigger picture. He also has a sizable force himself, enough to hunt down and isolate Grievous and also have back-up plans if Grievous attempts to flee. (e.g. sabotage escape pods, ship etc.) A confrontation that G0-T0 will encourage.

MasterMe
01.21.2013 , 04:05 PM | #224
What's Greivous's defense against force lighting?

As far as I know, he doesn't have a counter for it seeing as how he doesn't have the force. We see Jedi in the movies seemingly block lightning with their lightsaber, but it was my understanding that they were uding the force to direct the lightning into their lightsaber. Am I right or wrong? It just doesn't make since that a lightsaber could 'block' a bolt of electricity.

As for the magnaguards, wee see Ahsoka beat 2 or 3 of them at once on Tatooine during the Clone Wars movie. She was just 14 at the time I believe. Those guys aren't that great. They won't change the fact that Revan can and will kill Greivous.

MasterMe
01.21.2013 , 04:07 PM | #225
Both good points, but there is also a major gap between Yoda's ability to wield and lightsaber and Grievous'. I think Grievous ineptitude in the finer points of lightsaber combat and inability to wield the Force (and also his ignorance of Force lightning) 'make up' if you like for Revan's lesser strength in Force lightning.

But yes, Grievous can put trillions of battle droids between himself and Revan. However Revan is tactically superior to Grievous, smarter, and can see the bigger picture. He also has a sizable force himself, enough to hunt down and isolate Grievous and also have back-up plans if Grievous attempts to flee. (e.g. sabotage escape pods, ship etc.) A confrontation that G0-T0 will encourage.
Preach it! I'm confident that Revan can and will get to Greivous.

Warren-Stride
01.21.2013 , 04:15 PM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
As for the magnaguards, wee see Ahsoka beat 2 or 3 of them at once on Tatooine during the Clone Wars movie. She was just 14 at the time I believe. Those guys aren't that great. They won't change the fact that Revan can and will kill Greivous.
We also see Meetra Surik, who just woke up from a coma (drugged) and has lost most of her connection to the Force, defeat hundreds of Traya's (Revan's) assassins with a vibrosword.

I'm not saying Magmaguards will prevent Revan from killing Grievous. I'm saying they'll take out whatever assassins accompany him.

Magmaguards > Assassins
Grievous < Revan
~~ AiR ~~
What are you more afraid of?
A weapon that could destroy you?
Or a weapon that could turn you into a monster?

Aurbere
01.21.2013 , 04:18 PM | #227

The stars are gonna have to align for Revan to get to Grievous. He is on one ship, one ship among hundreds (more than that). Not only that, but Grievous' fleet numbers will allow him to surround Revan's significantly smaller forces. Unless Revan knows exactly where Grievous is at all times, such a confrontation is incredibly unlikely to occur. It is more likely that Revan will be killed in battle before confronting Grievous.

And don't make Revan's tactical knowledge greater than it is. He may be smart, but he doesn't have the tools to overcome Grievous' massive numbers. Grievous outnumbers Revan's forces at least a couple hundred thousand to one (more like a million to one). And he can bring those forces to bear without fear of losing anything major as those droids can simply be rebuilt.

You could say G0-T0 will tell Revan where Grievous is, but then you could also say that he would tell Grievous where Revan is. G0-T0 will want Grievous to win, as Grievous' droid powerbase is far easier to remove for him than Revan's would be.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Wolfninjajedi
01.21.2013 , 04:25 PM | #228
I'm gonna have to call shinanagens about Ahsoka being able to beat Magnaguards...not that she can't but if it were that easy for a Padawan to even beat them, then I don't see why Grievous even bothered having them made. But then again...plot armor does rule all.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Aurbere
01.21.2013 , 04:30 PM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I'm gonna have to call shinanagens about Ahsoka being able to beat Magnaguards...not that she can't but if it were that easy for a Padawan to even beat them, then I don't see why Grievous even bothered having them made. But then again...plot armor does rule all.
I think it had more to do with her being a much smaller and more agile target than what they normally fight. Much like her first battle with Grievous (which was completely lame, Grievous should have destroyed her). However, here we have standard height people.

And yes, plot armor does rule all (*points to R2 getting blown to pieces)

Edit: Magnaguards actually have defeated Jedi Knights and held their own with Masters.

Joluka
01.21.2013 , 04:32 PM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
We also see Meetra Surik, who just woke up from a coma (drugged) and has lost most of her connection to the Force, defeat hundreds of Traya's (Revan's) assassins with a vibrosword.

I'm not saying Magmaguards will prevent Revan from killing Grievous. I'm saying they'll take out whatever assassins accompany him.

Magmaguards > Assassins
Grievous < Revan
Actually, it was stated in KOTOR 2 that the Assassins had the same strength in the Force as Meetra did at all times because of Kreia and Meetra's bond. Basically, the stronger (or weaker) Meetra was the stronger they would get and vise versa. So, Peragus II Meetra Surik was able to defeat the assassins because they were only as strong as she was at the time.
Qanon Conrad, the Scoundrel Darth Aderius, the Juggernaut
Master Aryanna Conrad, the Sentinel Darth Dementius, the Assassin Jovae Conrad, the Mercenary