Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"I think the Empire needs sane leaders."

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"I think the Empire needs sane leaders."

NightshadeBlue
01.18.2013 , 06:04 PM | #21
I am actually enjoying playing my LS Sorc. But she isn't without her flaws.

A little background info. She is a twi'lek that doesn't care all that much about the Empire. After all she has two strikes against her when it comes to Empire society. One, she's an alien and we all know how much the empire loves aliens, and two she was a slave, which are the lowest class of Empire. She does enjoy her relative freedom going around and exploring the galaxy. However she does have principals and knows the value of allies to consolidate her power and influence in the Empire. She doesn't torture when interrogating someone since she thinks it's a useless tool and she doesn't kill unless they threaten her with violence or they betray her. She applies this to both non force sensitives and force sensitives. Plus some other things that would be non expectant of a stereotypical Sith but keeping in line with her character background and development.

I remember the quest line on Alderaan where you are given the choice to spare or kill the Rist guys who try to take you hostage after betrayal of the House Thul information.

Yeah I killed them both. She doesn't tolerate betrayal. Then there are some DS points that are just hilarious to take such as the following.

Spoiler

The other one where I took some DS points is when the officer on Quesh says it wasn't a woman's place to be on the front lines. Needless to say I corrected that behavior really quick with some shocking results.

But still even though I have some DS (about 2500 I think) I am LS three. I am liking how my character is developing throughout her questing and story.
We fight for honor and for the Republic!
Republic Honor

SNCommand
01.18.2013 , 06:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by NightshadeBlue View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Master-Nala
01.18.2013 , 06:23 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
HAHAHAHAHA! Playing a light side sith character rocks! The title of this thread was from a dialogue exchange between my sorc and Ashara Zavros on my ship shortly after I acquired her on Taris.

I have been actively guiding my toon down a LS path because, frankly, the Empire is ran by a bunch of cartoonish, power hunger morons. A light side character allows you to openly question and mock them. And this totally carries over into the player base.

Nearly every time I run a FP, everyone usually chooses the dark side and mean dialogue options in cutscenes.
"BOW TO ME!" or some crap like that.

Imagine my delight when I win a dialogue roll and get to respond to some Darth or Grand Moff (and by extension everyone in my group) with something like, "Kill everyone on board. Have you completely lost your mind?" What's particularly amusing is telling Darth Malgus repeatedly after FPs that he has no idea what he's talking about.

When I had this talk with Ashara I just thought it was really cool that BioWare themselves acknowledged that the Empire is in fact run by lunatics.
Agreed. It's why I do not believe that the Empire could have every become a galaxy spanning Empire.
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!
Referral Link---> http://www.swtor.com/r/fDdy48 <---Referral Link

SNCommand
01.18.2013 , 06:25 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
Agreed. It's why I do not believe that the Empire could have every become a galaxy spanning Empire.
Yeah, there's never been any huge oppressive empires throughout history
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Master-Nala
01.18.2013 , 06:34 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SNCommand View Post
Yeah, there's never been any huge oppressive empires throughout history
No, I'm not aware of any galaxy spanning empires. I am aware of Earth regimes that died in a generation or less under the weight of their evil. I would provide examples, but it's against the forum rules. But in any event, the Sith are a particularly idiotic form of evil regime. The Emperor allows his subjects to waste resources fighting each other that could be better spent on conquest.

In the game:

Spoiler

Also as Malgus observed,
Spoiler

The Empire is a caricature of an evil empire. There's no way it could exist in reality.
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!
Referral Link---> http://www.swtor.com/r/fDdy48 <---Referral Link

SNCommand
01.18.2013 , 06:38 PM | #26
No, I'm not aware of any galaxy spanning empires. I am aware of Earth regimes that died in a generation or less under the weight of their evil. I would provide examples, but it's against the forum rules.
Sure it has been no galaxy spanning empires yet, but then again humanity hasn't really reached that stage of territorial acquisition yet in real life, not to mention Star Wars empires don't tend to last long, a few generations and they crumble, the only problem is there's always some guy with an army and the ambition to seize power

CosmicKat
01.18.2013 , 06:54 PM | #27
No, I'm not aware of any galaxy spanning empires. I am aware of Earth regimes that died in a generation or less under the weight of their evil. I would provide examples, but it's against the forum rules. But in any event, the Sith are a particularly idiotic form of evil regime. The Emperor allows his subjects to waste resources fighting each other that could be better spent on conquest.

The Empire is a caricature of an evil empire. There's no way it could exist in reality.
Shhh... Star Wars fans do not like it when you point these things out. They don't like it when you point out that Star Wars is a high fantasy cartoon.

The Empire ranks right up there with C.H.A.O.S., Dr. Evil, and the Evil Goatee Star Trek alternate universe in the plausibility department.

NOTE: This is not meant to criticize the sillyness of Star Wars badguys. Silly cartoon evil is great in silly high fantasy.

AsheraII
01.18.2013 , 07:14 PM | #28
Overall, I think the best storylines are the Imperial ones done somewhat LIGHT sided (you don't really have to pick lightsided every time it comes up, just pick the most sensible option) and Republic done somewhat gray (going full dark feels like playing a caricature of Empire, which is already a caricature on its own). These options raise the more interresting twists and questions, often shedding new lights and giving new insights about what's going on.

Not to mention, that every time I hear "You die now" in Black Talon, I know I'm missing out on some really easy social points. It's always more rewarding to question what appears to be going on, instead of blindly going "SMASH KILL", or "forgetting" to bring up a certain topic on Esseles because there was this white star next to one of the options without apparent reason.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

Khevar
01.18.2013 , 07:37 PM | #29
... stuff ...

I just wanted to play devil's advocate here (realizing that this is a work of fiction that contains all the trappings of classic hero tales and good vs evil bla bla bla).

Let's pretend that a large group of people (in a Galactic stage with FTL travel/communications) contained "magic" powers that could control, dominate and oppress others. Imagine that many of these people could even dominate your mind to the point where you were doing things against your own will and thinking they were right (a la super-hypnotism)

Add to that superweapons capable of such destruction on a planetary level, so that even those unaffected by the magic mind powers lived in fear of the potential of global retaliation.

Now imagine this empire was opposed by a group of people with similar magic power, but were intentionally limiting themselves because they felt it made them into "bad guys." Add to that the fact that like most democracies, it is rife with corruption and self interest and so has a hard time being effective.

Why couldn't the empire exist in such a reality? Even as a caricature?
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Shhh... Star Wars fans do not like it when you point these things out. They don't like it when you point out that Star Wars is a high fantasy cartoon.
:wink:

Genuine
01.18.2013 , 07:40 PM | #30
you could say that the Republic keeps getting beaten down buy the Sith depends on how you look at it really
BIOWARE PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS THREAD Collectors edition vendor