Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"I think the Empire needs sane leaders."

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"I think the Empire needs sane leaders."

Lium
01.18.2013 , 01:33 PM | #1
HAHAHAHAHA! Playing a light side sith character rocks! The title of this thread was from a dialogue exchange between my sorc and Ashara Zavros on my ship shortly after I acquired her on Taris.

I have been actively guiding my toon down a LS path because, frankly, the Empire is ran by a bunch of cartoonish, power hunger morons. A light side character allows you to openly question and mock them. And this totally carries over into the player base.

Nearly every time I run a FP, everyone usually chooses the dark side and mean dialogue options in cutscenes.
"BOW TO ME!" or some crap like that.

Imagine my delight when I win a dialogue roll and get to respond to some Darth or Grand Moff (and by extension everyone in my group) with something like, "Kill everyone on board. Have you completely lost your mind?" What's particularly amusing is telling Darth Malgus repeatedly after FPs that he has no idea what he's talking about.

When I had this talk with Ashara I just thought it was really cool that BioWare themselves acknowledged that the Empire is in fact run by lunatics.

Smashbrother
01.18.2013 , 01:35 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
HAHAHAHAHA! Playing a light side sith character rocks! The title of this thread was from a dialogue exchange between my sorc and Ashara Zavros on my ship shortly after I acquired her on Taris.

I have been actively guiding my toon down a LS path because, frankly, the Empire is ran by a bunch of cartoonish, power hunger morons. A light side character allows you to openly question and mock them. And this totally carries over into the player base.

Nearly every time I run a FP, everyone usually chooses the dark side and mean dialogue options in cutscenes.
"BOW TO ME!" or some crap like that.

Imagine my delight when I win a dialogue roll and get to respond to some Darth or Grand Moff (and by extension everyone in my group) with something like, "Kill everyone on board. Have you completely lost your mind?" What's particularly amusing is telling Darth Malgus repeatedly after FPs that he has no idea what he's talking about.

When I had this talk with Ashara I just thought it was really cool that BioWare themselves acknowledged that the Empire is in fact run by lunatics.
That's why the Empire always ends up losing to the Republic. If they all stopped bickering and backstabbing each other, they'd have taken over the galaxy long ago.

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.18.2013 , 01:40 PM | #3
I enjoyed being a LS Warrior. Secretly plotting to take them down from the inside. Killing the craziest Sith and sparing/turning the ones with half a brain. And of course the Sith don't question it cause when the people don't come back they just assumed I killed them all like a good little Sith.

Khevar
01.18.2013 , 01:48 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
That's why the Empire always ends up losing to the Republic. If they all stopped bickering and backstabbing each other, they'd have taken over the galaxy long ago.
This. 100% this.

If the Sith stopped getting in the way of my IA, we'd have won the war a long time ago.

Not to mention
Spoiler

Pscyon
01.18.2013 , 01:49 PM | #5
The dark choices do tend to be very "derp, me evil, SMASH!", which is kinda sad really. The clever kind of evil doesn't get portrayed a lot and if you want to act sensibly or intelligent, you usually have to pick the light or neutral dialogue choices. Though, as you said, it seems a lot of players -wants- the derpy kind of "evil" or just picks the dark choices because they have DSPs attached. Can't be Sith without being a brainless dolt that just smashes everything right?
Sith Sorcerer

DarthLeeloo
01.18.2013 , 01:59 PM | #6
I kept my SW dark to go for the full LS0/DS -10000. Wanted to get that at least once. I enjoyed a lot of the neutral smart alec responses I could make without taking LS points though. Baras didn't approve, but Vette sure enjoyed it.

Stormcloudx
01.18.2013 , 02:17 PM | #7
this DS choice problem is annoying. There are numerous accounts of sith doing what the game calls LS choices to further their goals. Most ds choices vs ls choices, are kill vs spare...... that is so children's story book esque its ridiculous. I cant even hit DS 2 w/o farming because I've only taken the few sensible ds choices in the game as my SW who seeks to make the empire stronger not play sith politics. My IA is mostly LS but does understand the sacrifice for the greater good and shooting backstabbers is legit too (no spoilers)

Foambreaker
01.18.2013 , 02:18 PM | #8
I have a dark side trooper, the general still can't get over how I blabbed to the senate about her

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.18.2013 , 02:41 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
I have a dark side trooper, the general still can't get over how I blabbed to the senate about her
A. No spoilers plz
B. I'm planning on doing a DS trooper soon as well. Glad to hear it's fun.

Lium
01.18.2013 , 02:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Stormcloudx View Post
this DS choice problem is annoying. There are numerous accounts of sith doing what the game calls LS choices to further their goals. Most ds choices vs ls choices, are kill vs spare...... that is so children's story book esque its ridiculous. I cant even hit DS 2 w/o farming because I've only taken the few sensible ds choices in the game as my SW who seeks to make the empire stronger not play sith politics. My IA is mostly LS but does understand the sacrifice for the greater good and shooting backstabbers is legit too (no spoilers)
This is exactly why I play LS. I spare people and do the "right" thing not because my SI is virtuous or heroic, but because she sees the strategic importance of leaving some high value targets alive, rescuing a group of people or organization because they will come to the Empire's aid when needed down the road.

This includes working with the Jedi and the Republic. My character is forward thinking. She's like Revan was while everyone else is like Malak.