Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware Devs: Guild Functions need improvement

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware Devs: Guild Functions need improvement

OrionSol
01.20.2013 , 10:19 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Darka View Post
The ability to link a Cross faction guild together via chat
That would be great for all the guilds with double branches

Sadly for Bioware, they came out twice with two different people made a big fuss about guilds, then nothing was heard again.

At first everyone defended them with, its not needed, then it wasm they are doing other things first, then it was its coming soon, then nothing
not so sure about cross faction chat... every time I log into my Sith, it makes me want to log and go back to my republic character... the general chat is totally different
Or-ion Sol
Founder of THE JEDl ORDER (Guild Website)
"As I was, I am, I will..."

Ahl-Vinn
01.22.2013 , 11:53 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by OrionSol View Post
Greetings Bioware
1. Inter/intra guild communication.
A. Guild Email. This NEEDS to be implemented for large guild communities. In game ability to email the entire guild community would help with large scale organization and communication, especially for guilds with active populations at server cap.
B. Guild Alliances: We would like the ability to form an "Alliance" with a guild, and in effect MERGE their guild chats. Now, we understand the /cjoin method, but... frankly... it sucks. A more functional and easier to use option would be to allow guilds to "ally" with one another and merge their guild-chats as an option.
Indeed - at LEAST guild-mails. I read awhile back a DevTracker note on this taking a lot of in-game memory. Would it *really*? Why is that? Why was Star Wars: Galaxies able to do this seemingly without effort or memory issues? And what mechanic exactly would rob game-performance by allowing guild-mails?

Alliances was a neat idea pre-launch for importing guilds to the same launch-servers, and gave hope to in-game alliances. This would really help lower-membership guilds find external help, and decrease the number of players who quit playing just because their own guild goes down/collapses.

2. Guild War = Certainly, we can go to open world PVP zones, or flag /pvp all the time, but it would be nice if we could get an option to guild war, especially both inter and intra-faction
Sub-note, it would be nice to have guild war RANKING systems as well.
Meh. Yours truly thinks this would likely only result in levelling players fighting other levelling players in shared-zones.

3. Guild Projects/Halls = Now, while I fully am pro-player housing, I understand Bioware is not really into it. At least not yet. However, I would like to ask that we guilds have a private area to do ceremonies, have tournaments, meet and greets and social events without being harassed by the inevitable 13 year old troll who is starving for attention from his mommy but can only get it in the form of harassment reports in game.

If we need to, we could buy &/or craft a structure, or whatever giving us a place to call home.
All the devs really need to do is to allow world-sharding by guild-request. Get 20+ guildies on the same planet, a guild officer requests a world-shard, and if enough guildies planetside click-in for it, a separate shard forms that the opt-in's are taken to. Anyone else needs to specifically map-click in to get to the shard; no one is placed there automatically. Would certainly reduce the trolling we've experienced multiple separate times during our events.

4. Display Ranks. - We would like the option to have guild ranks displayed as a title of sorts. Now, while we acknowledge that many guilds would abuse this by naming granting titles to people like "YourMomsPimp" and the like, we would suggest making guild titles only visible to .... guild members.
Feasable. Purely aestheic, might mean a slight increase of memory-usage, but would be nice to have available.

5. Raise the cap on membership. We have THE JEDl ORER guild at server cap - with all members having logged in within the last 30 days or so. We need room for more members.
Gungan GODS, yes! *Why* is the limit 500 if we don't have an in-game voice system? Everyone and their grandmother uses TeamSpeak, Mumble, or Ventrilo as a 3rd-party voice system, and the devs' stance is that this is what they want. The traditional (meaning across most MMO's) guild-cap is 500 for purposes of sizing in-game voice servers though, isn't it? Why else would you limit guilds to this size of membership? It's the reason only the Jedi alt I'm presently levelling is in the guild; any other jedi alts of mine are purposefully kept out of the guild to save member-space.
Ahlvis, of Server Begeren Colony, SWTOR
Ahl-Vinn, formerly of Servers Bria and Starsider, SWG
Long live <THE JEDl ORDER>, 2004 - Present
Long live the former Server Vrook Lamar!

CrazyOldMystic
01.23.2013 , 11:51 AM | #23
The guild mail system needs to be very much installed, it is a complete headache organizing guild events, without having a guild wide mail. Now swg was several years old, and they had it, for a newer game like swtor this should be a cake walk request to get done. As far as the fears, that I have read on these forums, about mail spamming. I already get mail spammed by people trying to sell me in game credits for RL money. For your information I put said people on my ignore list and report them. So its not like this would cause any new problems.

Imhotep
01.23.2013 , 11:56 AM | #24
Greetings Bioware

I bring you greetings from one your largest guild communities. THE JEDl ORDER community of guilds is a group of 5 RP guilds, boasting over 1,500 members. We run 2 Republic Guilds, and 3 Imperial guilds on Begeren Colony server.

As this Community's Leader, I wanted to bring our thoughts and feedback to you. We have had many debates and discussions about guild functionality and abilities and here are the suggestions.

1. Inter/intra guild communication.
A. Guild Email. This NEEDS to be implemented for large guild communities. In game ability to email the entire guild community would help with large scale organization and communication, especially for guilds with active populations at server cap.
B. Guild Alliances: We would like the ability to form an "Alliance" with a guild, and in effect MERGE their guild chats. Now, we understand the /cjoin method, but... frankly... it sucks. A more functional and easier to use option would be to allow guilds to "ally" with one another and merge their guild-chats as an option.

2. Guild War = Certainly, we can go to open world PVP zones, or flag /pvp all the time, but it would be nice if we could get an option to guild war, especially both inter and intra-faction
Sub-note, it would be nice to have guild war RANKING systems as well.

3. Guild Projects/Halls = Now, while I fully am pro-player housing, I understand Bioware is not really into it. At least not yet. However, I would like to ask that we guilds have a private area to do ceremonies, have tournaments, meet and greets and social events without being harassed by the inevitable 13 year old troll who is starving for attention from his mommy but can only get it in the form of harassment reports in game.

If we need to, we could buy &/or craft a structure, or whatever giving us a place to call home.

4. Display Ranks. - We would like the option to have guild ranks displayed as a title of sorts. Now, while we acknowledge that many guilds would abuse this by naming granting titles to people like "YourMomsPimp" and the like, we would suggest making guild titles only visible to .... guild members.

5. Raise the cap on membership. We have THE JEDl ORER guild at server cap - with all members having logged in within the last 30 days or so. We need room for more members.

Thank you in advance for whatever consideration you give these suggestions.

Or-ion Sol
Community Founder
THE JEDl ORDER community of guilds
www.jediswtor.com
Well written and well thought out post. I concur.
The Ofali Legacy
Imhotep - Mercenary
Anubis - Marauder | Nama'Kubi - Sniper | Sėkhmet - Sorcerer

Guildmaster of the Nemesis Syndicate - The Harbinger - Maybe™

Darka
01.23.2013 , 12:21 PM | #25
not so sure about cross faction chat... every time I log into my Sith, it makes me want to log and go back to my republic character... the general chat is totally different
I mean for guilds
Cross link your republic and Sith branch to share a common guild chat

Twice Bioware have hired people to look after guilds, twice they made a big fuss in a post, and twice they have vanished with out trace.

MillionsKNives
01.23.2013 , 12:39 PM | #26
I agree with the stated improvements, one thing I would like to add though. Please make it so that all characters from the same account are rolled up into one. I'm not saying that all characters should be automatically invited, you should still be able to join and leave guilds on a per-character basis, but all characters from an account that share a guild should be counted and listed as one person. This could be done by showing the Legacy name along side the currently (or most recently) logged in character. To see all of that player's characters just allow us to expand and collapse their name in the list.

This would server a couple functions, the first being that it cuts down on used guild slots. One person would only take up one slot, instead of the 22 slots they could possibly take up now, freeing up that space for new members. My guild had to choose between limiting alts and forming a sub-guild just for alts. We ended up capping characters to 4 per faction, to save the headache of having to manage another guild. The second is that it would make roster management much simpler. You no longer have to worry about labeling players' alts just to keep track of who's who. We've developed a workable solution but it requires that our officers are vigilant about member notes, and even so some associations fall through the cracks.

OrionSol
01.24.2013 , 09:13 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
I agree with the stated improvements, one thing I would like to add though. Please make it so that all characters from the same account are rolled up into one. I'm not saying that all characters should be automatically invited, you should still be able to join and leave guilds on a per-character basis, but all characters from an account that share a guild should be counted and listed as one person. This could be done by showing the Legacy name along side the currently (or most recently) logged in character. To see all of that player's characters just allow us to expand and collapse their name in the list.

This would server a couple functions, the first being that it cuts down on used guild slots. One person would only take up one slot, instead of the 22 slots they could possibly take up now, freeing up that space for new members. My guild had to choose between limiting alts and forming a sub-guild just for alts. We ended up capping characters to 4 per faction, to save the headache of having to manage another guild. The second is that it would make roster management much simpler. You no longer have to worry about labeling players' alts just to keep track of who's who. We've developed a workable solution but it requires that our officers are vigilant about member notes, and even so some associations fall through the cracks.
VERY Interesting - I like that idea alot
Or-ion Sol

Ahl-Vinn
02.01.2013 , 02:55 AM | #28

Whoa - I just came back from the future, SUH!

People who are playing toons across multiple factions (Yeah, that's right, there's 'Pub, 'Imp, Hutt, AND Ugly by the great year of our Gungan Lord 2015) have a *shared* cross-faction chat.

I am hea' to inform you that by our such great time that not only are there no longer bugs in any portion of the game, but also that SGRA's, non-RP'ers, and also moon-habiters *ALL* share common rights and respectability in this hea' game, suh!

Whilst there remaineth those who wouldeth oppose equal rights for our fellow gamers, time moves along at its own pace of development; no one can preventeth the forward-march of our great online societeh!

Be theah any disseneth, let it be spoken of hea', or let this issue be foreveh laid to rest, herein!

Ahlvis, of Server Begeren Colony, SWTOR
Ahl-Vinn, formerly of Servers Bria and Starsider, SWG
Long live <THE JEDl ORDER>, 2004 - Present
Long live the former Server Vrook Lamar!

OrionSol
02.01.2013 , 08:22 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Ahl-Vinn View Post

Whoa - I just came back from the future, SUH!

People who are playing toons across multiple factions (Yeah, that's right, there's 'Pub, 'Imp, Hutt, AND Ugly by the great year of our Gungan Lord 2015) have a *shared* cross-faction chat.

I am hea' to inform you that by our such great time that not only are there no longer bugs in any portion of the game, but also that SGRA's, non-RP'ers, and also moon-habiters *ALL* share common rights and respectability in this hea' game, suh!

Whilst there remaineth those who wouldeth oppose equal rights for our fellow gamers, time moves along at its own pace of development; no one can preventeth the forward-march of our great online societeh!

Be theah any disseneth, let it be spoken of hea', or let this issue be foreveh laid to rest, herein!

Awesome posteth
Or-ion Sol

Graydon
02.01.2013 , 08:54 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Darka View Post
I mean for guilds
Cross link your republic and Sith branch to share a common guild chat

Twice Bioware have hired people to look after guilds, twice they made a big fuss in a post, and twice they have vanished with out trace.
I would take this a step further.

Cross faction FP's and Operations. Most of the FP's and all the Operations are a common threat. One of the first SWTOR novels based on this game called, "Fatal Alliance" told the story of both factions working together.

I believe Hoth has a quest line where the Republic and Empire unite for a common threat.

This would also create incentive for players to roll more characters,explore, and play the opposite factions. This would increase longevity of the game.

This concept would most likely be an MMO first. Something the other guys don't have yet.