Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Reason Smash/Sweep will not be nerfed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Reason Smash/Sweep will not be nerfed

mrekxxx's Avatar


mrekxxx
01.17.2013 , 07:08 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Kajuana View Post
I don't see the problem with smash.
It does big AOE damage, but that is Focus tree's 1-trick pony.
Any changes to it would make the focus tree unusable.

In 1v1, there are higher burst damage class/tree combos.
In MvM, smash is dps king, but you could always pay more attention to try not to stack on top of your teammates.
Pugging? Well you are losing to a well coordinated team or against a good player. Makes perfect sense to me.

3 people jumping on you to smash? Too bad, every class will die when you get focus fired by 3 dps ACs.
5 people dying at the same time? Why would you guys stand so close to each other?

Every class / tree is meant to be different. This brings more variation to the mechanics in PvP.
Smash is fine as it is.

At least you can control your character when you go up against smahes.
Bubble stuns on the other hand.... ughh....
lol this is nice.... 5 people dying at the same time? Why would you guys stand so close to each other?

sign of stupidity.... how do you think work aoe heal revificacion? do you think healer just press button and it heals all the people around in diameter 100m?

no, they have to stay in the circle 8m get healed ... l2p

Savej's Avatar


Savej
01.17.2013 , 07:24 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by mrekxxx View Post
lol this is nice.... 5 people dying at the same time? Why would you guys stand so close to each other?

sign of stupidity.... how do you think work aoe heal revificacion? do you think healer just press button and it heals all the people around in diameter 100m?

no, they have to stay in the circle 8m get healed ... l2p
If you have 3 aoe healers vs 3 smashers you will be fine but 3 aoe dps vs 1 aoe healer... don't stand so close to each other.

vimm's Avatar


vimm
01.17.2013 , 07:36 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Sowwy View Post
This is nonsense. Big numbers from any class requires time on target which means healing. More healing is more time is more damage. Having said as much, a good smasher WILL dominate the field and the score board. And because its an AOE, guaranteed crit with a DMG multiplier, stacking multiple smashers is not only imbalanced, it's flat out broken. No other reasonable conclusion can be drawn.
It's also one of the only ways to counter the stun bubble.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
01.17.2013 , 08:08 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
It's also one of the only ways to counter the stun bubble.
Agree. People use relatively the same strategy to avoid both stun bubbles and smash.

The sarcastic complaints about "oh yea I'll just avoid attacking people so I stay out of range", sigh. This complaint doesn't hold water and has been used to complain about AOE mezz, force lightning back in the day, AOE knockbacks, DFA back in the day, etc. Of course you can't avoid 100% of smashes (or any AOE), asking for that is asking to dumb down the game even more than it already is. I personally don't have any problems with smash in it's current state (pvping with my jugg/AP PT/Conceal&Heal Oper/Shadow). Rightly or wrongly I see it as a L2P issue. WZs are long enough to figure out who is playing smash, mark the target(s) and drop him every time he is out of spawn.

The only complaint people should have is that power stacking exists. Having force/tech bonus damage over 1000 in pvp causes imbalance. I see so many complaints about 4 stacks of shockwave, yada yada, but 4 stacks of shockwave is pretty weak if your force bonus damage is below 800.
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

BlownSi's Avatar


BlownSi
01.17.2013 , 08:16 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Naej View Post
The problem with smash spec isn't about 1v1. It's about multiple Rage spec jumping and insta-killing a group of up to 5.

If it wasn't auto-crit, you'd have a chance, but AoE auto-crit of 5K X 3-4 players = 15k hp gone in 1 GCD on multiple people. If 3-4 PT wanna focus you, fine. It still won't be AoE, 1 people will die. You can't nerf focus fire, but Smash as it is now is like focus fire for the noobs.

Plus don't forget that a well speced Jugg will have 4 sec of immunity and 20% dmg reduction after a leap, making them impossible to CC or control before the have the time to unleash the Smash.
And they will be considerably gimmped by doing that because they have to sacrifice Force Crush for Unstoppable. Seriously, people need to learn the class before they spout off at the mouth about something they know nothing about. It's as bad as the gun-grabbing morons out in the world that know nothing about firearms other than they look scary.


Edit: What kills me even more is that I have not read one single time of someone suggesting that why not just keep primary target damage on smash the same, but have a set percentage lower damage on the AOE damage, like say 15%-20%? I know there are other abilities out there on different classes that use a similar mechanic.
Harmeggido - J'anin - Zophie - Kaase
DaMG - The Shadowlands

CharterMonkKent's Avatar


CharterMonkKent
01.17.2013 , 08:25 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by BlownSi View Post
And they will be considerably gimmped by doing that because they have to sacrifice Force Crush for Unstoppable. Seriously, people need to learn the class before they spout off at the mouth about something they know nothing about. It's as bad as the gun-grabbing morons out in the world that know nothing about firearms other than they look scary.


Edit: What kills me even more is that I have not read one single time of someone suggesting that why not just keep primary target damage on smash the same, but have a set percentage lower damage on the AOE damage, like say 15%-20%? I know there are other abilities out there on different classes that use a similar mechanic.
Smash is not a target-able attack. The ability would need to be reworked to make this change. Although this change would increase the output for rage/focus. No more missing smashes. Smash would be blacked out until the player is within "range". This means there would never be a time where smash was off cooldown after a miss, for example, after a knockback from a merc/commando. The smash would either hit or not be used. It wouldn't miss and be wasted. That probably only makes sense to those who player rage/focus.
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

NuSeC's Avatar


NuSeC
01.17.2013 , 09:29 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
Your "well specced jugg" won't be posting dps numbers anywhere near the top third of a decent warzone cos for said cc immunity and damage reduction he has to sacrifice the 31st talent of the rage three that is basically the specs raison d'Ítre.

You sir are arguing that a spec that can produce 1 AOE smash per minute (cos the only singularity buildiers he has are on a 1min cooldown each) is somehow problematic. In short, you're like Ray Charles in the Louvre, you don't have a flipping clue.
I was going to say this but... thanks

It is amazing to me how little people know about the class... yet get on here and rage.

"A group of smasher jumped to me and killed me."
Yeah... and if a group of PT/OPs/Assassins/even Mercs focused me I would die fast too.

"they can jump into a crowd and bomb them all for 6-7k"
Well lets see... between tanks, people with a skilled AOE reduction (Example: A carnage Mara) or people already popping cooldowns because they are already engaged in a fight... that just dont happen nearly as often as people think.
ALL JUGS ARE NOW 31/31/31
Kinrath Spider -> The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five
>>Get free stuff<< Too many alts to list here! Subscriber from launch!

I play every AC :P

darthgamer's Avatar


darthgamer
01.17.2013 , 09:37 AM | #48
You people can try to defend and protect your Fotm class all you want we all know its gonna get nerfed down and another take its place.
I'll be the butter you'll be the popcorn

NuSeC's Avatar


NuSeC
01.17.2013 , 09:44 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by darthgamer View Post
You people can try to defend and protect your Fotm class all you want we all know its gonna get nerfed down and another take its place.
LOL!!!!

I have played this spec from launch bro.... FOTY? Flavor of the year?


No wait... I did get to valor 100 and Social 10 in one month
Kinrath Spider -> The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five
>>Get free stuff<< Too many alts to list here! Subscriber from launch!

I play every AC :P

SOULCASTER's Avatar


SOULCASTER
01.17.2013 , 10:04 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Naej View Post
Plus don't forget that a well speced Jugg will have 4 sec of immunity and 20% dmg reduction after a leap, making them impossible to CC or control before the have the time to unleash the Smash.
Actually thats in the middle Vengeance tree. And while that ability box is FANTATSIC, its not ideal for a derp-smasher to get that box. So actually no, a POORLY specced juggernaut will have that skill box, as the top box of the focus tree to keep the derp smashes rolling faster, is more ideal.

Just saying.
Soulcaster
www.twitch.tv/CidxPvP
Come watch me log on and hit the buttons that light up!