Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reason Smash/Sweep will not be nerfed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Reason Smash/Sweep will not be nerfed

UGLYMRJ
01.18.2013 , 12:45 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by CharterMonkKent View Post
They'd have to add in a spec-able damage increase somewhere in the lightning tree. High enough that a full healer couldn't grab it. We wouldn't want a healer of any spec with an instant 4k+ attack.

For reference project on my shadow (with damage increase procs) hits between 4-7k depending on upheaval (double shock). So we wouldn't want to increase that damage at all.
Very true.

SomeJagoff
01.18.2013 , 12:52 PM | #102
Agree. People use relatively the same strategy to avoid both stun bubbles and smash.

The sarcastic complaints about "oh yea I'll just avoid attacking people so I stay out of range", sigh. This complaint doesn't hold water and has been used to complain about AOE mezz, force lightning back in the day, AOE knockbacks, DFA back in the day, etc. Of course you can't avoid 100% of smashes (or any AOE), asking for that is asking to dumb down the game even more than it already is. I personally don't have any problems with smash in it's current state (pvping with my jugg/AP PT/Conceal&Heal Oper/Shadow). Rightly or wrongly I see it as a L2P issue. WZs are long enough to figure out who is playing smash, mark the target(s) and drop him every time he is out of spawn.
Ahh, so you're one of the guys who marks smash monkeys instead of healers? More and more in wzs, I've seen people all trying to burn down a smash monkey, only to get smashed in the process, while the healer in the corner keeps topping off the smash monkey.

This definitely makes wzs a lot more frustrating, especially when only me and 1 other guy are trying to take down the healer and everybody else is focussing on dps/tanks or smashers who happen to be in tank stance.

The only complaint people should have is that power stacking exists. Having force/tech bonus damage over 1000 in pvp causes imbalance. I see so many complaints about 4 stacks of shockwave, yada yada, but 4 stacks of shockwave is pretty weak if your force bonus damage is below 800.
The problem is if power as a stat is nerfed, you not only nerf smash monkeys, but every other dps and healer class in the game. A lot easier to just nerf smash monkeys. Some people have pointed out that there are more mara smash monkeys than jugg smash monkeys, so just nerf the mara rage tree and leave the jugg rage tree untouched. That might work, but then the maras would probably just roll juggs and lolsmash that way.
Once you're in the hole, what's a few more feet?

UGLYMRJ
01.18.2013 , 12:54 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by SomeJagoff View Post
Ahh, so you're one of the guys who marks smash monkeys instead of healers? More and more in wzs, I've seen people all trying to burn down a smash monkey, only to get smashed in the process, while the healer in the corner keeps topping off the smash monkey.

This definitely makes wzs a lot more frustrating, especially when only me and 1 other guy are trying to take down the healer and everybody else is focussing on dps/tanks or smashers who happen to be in tank stance.
Yes... we get it.... you're bitter and don't do very well in this game.

The name is fitting.

SomeJagoff
01.18.2013 , 12:59 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
Yes... we get it.... you're bitter and don't do very well in this game.

The name is fitting.
Yes, we get it, your only toon is a smash monkey and you're afraid that bioware is going to take away your win button.

Your name is also fitting, especially with that avatar.

UGLYMRJ
01.18.2013 , 01:01 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by SomeJagoff View Post
Yes, we get it, your only toon is a smash monkey and you're afraid that bioware is going to take away your win button.

Your name is also fitting, especially with that avatar.
Smash doesn't bother me on any of my 50's...

Spoiler

PloGreen
01.18.2013 , 01:06 PM | #106
I like it but I always lean on the simple fix in order to not over do it. I like the idea of buffing shock since it's an instant ability that can quickly be thrown into a rotation and has a fairly low CD.
You are a reasonable poster, so I could see why you would think that way. I just think class balance as a whole is not in great place. Sages have to spec hybrid to be viable, this shouldn't be happening really.

PloGreen
01.18.2013 , 01:07 PM | #107
Smash doesn't bother me on any of my 50's...

Spoiler
On its own it doesn't bother me, but when they are stacked it quickly becomes a problem IMO. Not sure how you go about balancing that either.

SomeJagoff
01.18.2013 , 01:08 PM | #108
Bitter much?

And you're incorrect... they have made several statements regarding rage/focus spec, monitoring it and coming up with ways to possibly balance it.

I sense a recruit geared sorc that hates the world right now...
lmao, I promise you, I would never consider playing a sorc in 50 pvp the way it is now, because I hate healing and I think stunbubbles are lame. In addition, I smash top geared sorcs on my server for 6700 smashes, so why would I subject myself to that? I've pretty much stopped playing tank on my jugg because the 5.5k smashes and 0 damage output was a joke, so I min-maxed my jugg and now I smash other smashmonkeys for 5-7k and basically make their pvp experience less enjoyable. If bioware ever nerfs smash, I'll go back to playing tank, since it was fun getting 200k protection per match.

Lastly, link that Bioware said they were going to balance smash or it never happened.

UGLYMRJ
01.18.2013 , 01:09 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by PloGreen View Post
You are a reasonable poster, so I could see why you would think that way. I just think class balance as a whole is not in great place. Sages have to spec hybrid to be viable, this shouldn't be happening really.
I completely agree there... top tier sorc DPS talents are trash in comparison to many other DPS classes.

L-RANDLE
01.18.2013 , 01:10 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by PloGreen View Post
Giving sages more burst is tricky without making them OP. I dont care what they do, but smash and bubble stunning has made pvp very very boring.
Adjust PoM/Wra to Buff FiB/DF by 30%.

6K crits, and even more simplified than Rage spec (as it should be since the lack of a real DFCD gives Sages very little room for error).

oh and turn bubble back to a mezz...
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango