Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companions 101: Aric Jorgan

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zakjen
01.16.2013 , 08:15 PM | #31
I didn't get to play much Trooper myself, but I've watched my sister play the class, and I've enjoyed his character in the cutscenes. Does make me wanna play one, but I'm working on other classes atm.

I'd love to see a Companions 101 with Malavai Quinn, or Corso Riggs soon though.
Not many people can take the tale of Patrick Braden, aka St. Kitten, who strutted the catwalks, face lit by a halo of flashbulbs as "oh!" she shrieks, "I told you, from my best side darlings."

Hyde_v
01.16.2013 , 08:31 PM | #32
For next time, either Mako or Vector, please.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

Damask_Rose
01.16.2013 , 09:53 PM | #33
I haven't gotten very far with my troopers, but I do enjoy having Jorgan around. I just wish he could wear covert armor without his undershirt showing

And Quinn next? Please, please!
Still waiting for Quinn's "meaningful" reunion!

Likomg
01.16.2013 , 10:00 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Flastojak View Post
He's supposed to be a sniper. In fact he claims to have been in the most elite sniper squad in the Republic. He can't use sniper rifles (last time I checked). It's silly. Bioware needs to match story with mechanics more I think.
It's my understanding that he was able to use sniper rifles in beta but was switched to assault cannon after player complaints. I cannot confirm this, as I did not play beta, and I forget where I had read it lol. Would be nice for them to give him the ability to use them, as many companions have the ability to use more than 1 type of weapon (I love that Kaliyo can use a Blaster Rifle rather than just a pistol, for example).

Seeing as how they did the Companion 101 on a republic toon this time, next will hopefully be imperial. Vector, Mako or even Talos (think that's his name -- inquis healer companion, tends to not be given a lot of respect from many player, from what I've seen lol) should be interesting, imo.

innert
01.16.2013 , 10:36 PM | #35
Haven't gotten around to playing a Trooper yet, but it was cool reading anyway.

Personally, I'd like to see Jaesa or Gault next time, they're both really interesting Imp companions.

Estelindis
01.16.2013 , 10:53 PM | #36
Jorgan! Hooray.

I liked Jorgan's character from the start because he was gruff, no-nonsense and wouldn't accept any excuses. I know that a lot of people resented the fact that he treated the trooper harshly initially, but that won me over. He had high standards and that just made me want to meet those standards, then exceed them.

When he became a companion, I couldn't believe it. I felt bad for him because of the demotion, but it was amazing that I now had such an awesome character on my team. Jorgan and Qyzen were the only companions I didn't know in advance would be joining my characters in their adventures (since my consular and trooper got off their starting planets first, and after that the companion list became obvious from seeing everyone's companions following them around).

At one point pursuing his personal mission, I created the following thread to describe my experiences: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=278369 It can be summed up as follows: Jorgan's mission is the first one that was ever red for me in the mission log but I kept trying anyway because I didn't want to let him down. I think that says a lot about the quality of the writing.

I found my trooper getting a lot of approval from Jorgan just by the way she approached things, mainly because she has an attitude quite similar to his own. That said, I did once - just the once! - hit a conversational response that I knew would irk him, just out of a desire to see how he'd react. At the hearing on Coruscant after Ord Mantell, if you blame the defection of Havoc Squad on Jorgan, his astonished outrage is absolutely priceless. I guiltily escaped out of the conversation at that point, very much feeling that I'd trolled him, but unable to stop laughing.

The romance was really sweet and, just like Jorgan being a companion at all, not something I expected. Getting a character as awesome as him in my team was one thing, but actually being able to roleplay a relationship of love that got closer and closer was another. It really does help to show that all the harshness you see in his character from the first time you meet him comes from the fact that he cares; he's not an unfeeling stone. As others have said, he's a complex character and getting to know him better by peeling layer after layer is wonderful.

I have to post agreement with those saying that Jorgan should be able to use sniper rifles. Several companions can use a couple of different weapons (e.g. pistols/rifles for Corso, techstaff/techblade for Torian), so why shouldn't there be the option for Jorgan to use sniper rifles as well as the assault cannon? It wouldn't necessitate adding a whole range of sniper rifles with Aim as their base stat; it would rely on players to put aim mods in orange sniper rifles instead. All Jorgan's weapons from missions could remain assault cannons. It would just be a nice option, you know?

Anyway, this article was great. Some brilliant questions for Jorgan's writer and even better answers! This was a real treat. Thanks so much.

I suppose we've got to have a companion from the sith inquisitor or the bounty hunter yet. My assassin only has Khem so far and my powertech only has her first three. Honestly, I like all of that bunch, but I haven't seen the end of their stories so it's hard to pick a favourite.

Lady_Thorne
01.16.2013 , 11:47 PM | #37
My "can I bait Jorgan" moment was on Nar Shaddaa, when I said something about Jonas Balkar knowing how to treat a lady. Sputtering, embarrassed Aric Jorgan is priceless! Another here who feels a little awkward w/ the Cathar Human romance, and who would most likely replay it as Cathar if/when given a chance. (...or you can just go by my own reconciliation of the whole idea w/ my insistence that most/many "non-human" species were originally experimentally created and farmed out into the galaxy, and are essentially human, particularly between feet and head/upper torso, LOL.)

I do have to say that his post-marriage gifts and comments in letters are hysterically Jorgan-esque.

Companions I'd like to know more about are Corso Riggs (I was surprised to not hear more folks say that, honestly), Akaavi Spar, and Elara Dorne. Doc was interesting too, in his own way. Oh, and Scourge, between the book Revan and TOR--how he got from the one to the other.

GREAT writing--I just want to encourage other writers, as I've been pretty impressed by the depth of writing evident across the board.

I have to throw in with the sniper rifle (at least) comments. It would gain consistency points, and what would the harm be?

JarekCyphus
01.17.2013 , 12:39 AM | #38
I was actually impressed with Aric Jorgan's character development. He goes from a cantankerous old kitty to a mellowed, seasoned officer who never crosses the indelible line that separates loyalty from insubordination. My wife hasn't pursued any romance options with him yet, but after reading this article, I may suggest she do so. Aric genuinely grew on me as a companion as the game went on. As my Commando became a bit more of a combat medic, the purpose of having Elara Dorne around served only to foster a romance with her. I otherwise had Aric on the frontlines with me at all times, saving the galaxy, one slain bucket-head at a time.

As far as playing Cathar: I want this. I want to roll one as a Gunslinger. My wife wants to run one as a Sith Warrior. Overall, I'm sure MANY players want to see Cathar as playable, as well as many other races. The addition of new races can only further diversify the gameplay of SWTOR in the years to come.
_____HAGALAZ KAHN_____________________________
MANDALORIAN COMMANDO
___________________________STAR WARS_________

aeterno
01.17.2013 , 12:43 AM | #39
Made him XO over Elara, my love interest.

That kinda speaks for itself. Great VO, well written. Aric's alright.

HKtheindomitable
01.17.2013 , 01:32 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Flastojak View Post
He's supposed to be a sniper. In fact he claims to have been in the most elite sniper squad in the Republic. He can't use sniper rifles (last time I checked). It's silly. Bioware needs to match story with mechanics more I think.
Agreement: This.

Opinion: I loved M1-47 the most, and I'm not saying that because I'm a droid. I loved hearing about his missions that he goes on and hearing his one-liners when defeating an enemy.
PAX REPUBLICA
Casual PVP&PVE
Star Forge | Captain |International Guild