Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

HK-51 quest, sanity buffer overflow

tatatan
01.16.2013 , 10:51 AM | #1
After 3hrs of using that excavator and listening to the beep-beep-beep and not finding anything, i'm giving up. Stuff your HK quest to your BW rear parts!!!
I actually want to play game and not being driven crazy by some completely out-of-hand random mechanic.

Thank you

RendValor
01.16.2013 , 11:14 AM | #2
The mechanics are there to encourage teamwork (and grindy timesinks, MMO players love grindy timesinks)
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

DawnAskham
01.16.2013 , 12:42 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
The mechanics are there to encourage teamwork (and grindy timesinks, MMO players love grindy timesinks)
HK-51 mission was not too ridiculous when the entire server was out looking for the parts, however now that most people have him, it is rare to find players actually looking for the parts.

And in that case, this mission is poorly designed as it was easily completed when it was new, but it has become and will become more and more of a royal PITA for those that try to complete it post the initial rush.

RendValor
01.16.2013 , 03:02 PM | #4
Depends on your server and even which planet instance you are in. In my server there are always at least 4-5 people looking for the parts during peak hours in every planet.

Just because the quest is difficult doesn't mean it's poorly designed
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

jonasola
01.16.2013 , 03:08 PM | #5
Ah, kids today.

If this was the original Everquest each HK part when scanned would spawn a big nasty monster, requiring at least a full group to clear, and when cleared only the initial person scanning would get the part. Then that component would not spawn again for 48 hours +/- 12 hours.

Cheers,

Shaniquia

abokado
01.16.2013 , 03:13 PM | #6
You're obviously looking at the wrong places. It took me half an hour to get all of them. Of course, I did it with another person, but if you know where they spawn it's absolutely fast and easy. The longest I was looking for one part was ~10 minutes on Taris, because I already started scanning in the middle of the road and not right beside the ship.

LogicalPremise
01.16.2013 , 07:39 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by jonasola View Post
Ah, kids today.

If this was the original Everquest each HK part when scanned would spawn a big nasty monster, requiring at least a full group to clear, and when cleared only the initial person scanning would get the part. Then that component would not spawn again for 48 hours +/- 12 hours.

Cheers,

Shaniquia
Perhaps someday you will realize there is a reason no one makes those games anymore.

There was also a time when we traveled via horse and buggy, believed evil spirits made us sick, and thought that Atari 2600 had good graphics. Let it go, man, no one cares.
Majynn, L55 Sorc - The Society - Harbinger
Garadan, L55 Jugg- Dark Void - Harbinger
Vongrath, L35 Op- Dark Void - Harbinger

DataBeaver
01.17.2013 , 01:31 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LogicalPremise View Post
Perhaps someday you will realize there is a reason no one makes those games anymore.
That example is perhaps a bit extreme, but there is a cycle seen in today's game industry. It goes like this:

1. A company makes a game that's really hard
2. Hardcore gamers love it
3. The great masses rush in and complain about the hardness
4. The game gets nerfed
5. The hardcore gamers are disappointed and move on to the next game

However, hunting the HK parts is not genuinely hard, it's just tedious. Hard would be if every scan would give you some clue of where the component is, but it would be really hard to put those together to figure out the location. As it is, you simply have a low chance of being close enough with a scan. I'm guessing it's somewhere around 0.1%, given the size of the areas. After you hit within 25 metres, you can theoretically use a more sophisticated method to zero in on the component, but since there's no clear indicator of range (the expanding pulse from the device travels in the air, not along ground), there's still a fair amount of trial and error involved.

Moestuin
01.17.2013 , 02:24 AM | #9
I don't understand how someone can spend 3 hours looking for a part. All you have to do is be smart in how you scan. Just pay attention to the last ring you see when you scan, then move twice that length to the new spot if you have no lock. You cover a lot of ground that way in a very short amount of time.

Once you have a lock, scan around that area in a triangular pattern and you have that part in no time (if you have ever played eve-online, its exactly the same as trying to look for a wormhole only in that game it was harder as you had 3 dimensions to deal with instead of 2).

Again be smart in the way you scan. Don't just scan, move 5 meters forward and scan again.

ckoneful
01.17.2013 , 02:26 AM | #10
Only took me about 15 minutes per planet per part, solo.
73% Explorer60% Achiever53% Socializer13% Killer
60 Juggernaut 55 Operative 50 Mercenary 48 Sorceror
53 Guardian 50 Gunslinger 53 Vanguard 55 Shadow
100% of Class Stories completed