Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

pvp tank gear

LordAragore
01.17.2013 , 11:01 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonKorr View Post
I have the same defense gain, but I have shield rating. Your accuracy isn't going to do a whole lot for you, at least my shield rating provides some mitigation against sents/slingers and the like. Perhaps I misunderstood? (Assuming we're talking about replacing all mods/enhancements with the EWH Legging stats)
That's a good point. I tended to view the white damage as negligible, mainly because I was struggling keeping my accuracy at 100%, but mitigation is mitigation.

Quote: Originally Posted by TalonKorr View Post
This on the other hand is a prime example of how not to gear. Just for giggles I plugged in the values suggested into my Ask Mr Robot and lost 11% of my hitpoints for a 2.5% gain in mitigation through expertise. Since hitpoints effect so many of the guardian abilities (Focused Defense, Enure, Enure + WZ Medpac, Guardian Leap Heal, etc) this is a garbage trade off in every way. I went ahead and replaced all PvE armorings just to continue theory crafting and ended up trading 13% of my hitpoints for 3% mitigation, again, a completely bad trade off. In addition, you lose all shield rating in favor of gaining power, or surge. Shield rating may not be amazing, but it does help against those none crit white attacks, i.e. combat sents, sharpshooter gunslingers.
Same here. My Exp is currently 1180. I replaced 2 EWH Armorings and my EWH Hilt with Guardian 27's and my PVP mitigation dropped just over .5%. That was 150 Exp dropped off and I gained 75 End.
G˘re Lvl 55 Immortal Juggernaut - Aewinn Lvl 55 Infiltration Shadow - Afflictia Lvl 50 Corruption Sorceror - Ăragore Lvl 40+ Shield Spec Vanguard - The Diabolos Legacy

BanetheDarkLord
01.17.2013 , 11:50 AM | #12
Most of the points made by the first replier are spot on. Although a few things IMO are a little different. First thing is that higher expertise for tanking in PvP is important, it gives FLAT OUT damage reduction. I don't know the numbers or when exactly there maybe diminishing returns for tanks, so I can't really say how high might be "too" high. Second is the spec, I have run full Immortal (31/8/2), Almost Immortal (27/12/2) and Hybrid (18/23/0), I have to say the Hybrid FOR PVP is best. Deafening Defense is just too good of a talent to pass up. I used to live and die by Almost Immortal, but about a few months ago tried Hybrid and never looked back.

(18/23/0)
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#10...zMZforMrhzzM.2

Yes you lose backhand, Force Push faster CD, Revenge or Shield Specialization talent, Dark Blood and Crushing Fist. Backhand only affects 1 opponent and generates a lot of resolve, where as a faster CD on Intimidating Roar affects many enemies which when your in the middle of all the combat, you need that to slow down the damage your taking to make it easier for the healers. The faster CD on force push is really only worth it in huttball, but with simple positioning from your teammates and/or stupid enemies, you can jump around just fine. As mentioned the shield chance isn't worth it in PvP and Ruin in Vengeance tree makes Smash free anyway. Duration of Endure Pain is nice and the damage reduction to elemental and internal by 4% is great, but Deafening Defense reduces ALL damage taken by 4% at all times as well as 15% while Enraged Defense is active. Crushing Fist 4 stacks of armor reduction, meh, I'll take Impale over that.

Last thing to add is to augment with the Fortitude Augment 22. You are going to take damage no matter what, mitigation is important in PvE, but 90% of the damage done in PvP passes your shield and defense. So don't bother augmenting for Defense, Shield or Absorb, stick to Fortitude. If you want to mess with those stats, do it with min/max-ing your mods and enhancements.
Ry'tan-Juggernaut-55 | Treys'n-Powertech-55 | Velmir-Operative-55 |
Lurruh-Sage-21 | Sellysha-Mercenary-45 | Zarruh-Assassin-41

rob_y
01.17.2013 , 12:03 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by BanetheDarkLord View Post
The faster CD on force push is really only worth it in huttball, but with simple positioning from your teammates and/or stupid enemies, you can jump around just fine.
I agreed with almost everything you said (I think the hybrid spec is best for PvP tanking), but I just wanted to point out - you should never spec / gear / gameplan for having stupid enemies. If your enemies are stupid, you'll win no matter how you spec (unless your teammates are even dumber), so just worry about speccing for good opponents.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

BanetheDarkLord
01.17.2013 , 12:19 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by rob_y View Post
I agreed with almost everything you said (I think the hybrid spec is best for PvP tanking), but I just wanted to point out - you should never spec / gear / gameplan for having stupid enemies. If your enemies are stupid, you'll win no matter how you spec (unless your teammates are even dumber), so just worry about speccing for good opponents.
Well yeah I just had that because it does happen. There are some other angles you can jump at enemies they normally don't expect or haven't accounted for. Just reinforcing the point that the faster CD on Force Push isn't worth going up that high on the Immortal tree for. If I was trying to take actual stupid enemies into account for specs, then I would just randomly throw darts at the talent trees for my points.
Ry'tan-Juggernaut-55 | Treys'n-Powertech-55 | Velmir-Operative-55 |
Lurruh-Sage-21 | Sellysha-Mercenary-45 | Zarruh-Assassin-41