Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game Update 1.7: Return of the Gree is coming soon!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Game Update 1.7: Return of the Gree is coming soon!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MGriffith
01.28.2013 , 02:55 AM | #301
Quote: Originally Posted by LetoAtreidesII View Post
It would be nice to fix the bucketloads of outstanding bugs, some of which have been around since 1.4 or earlier, before releasing new content which creates even more bugs. Besides the many known issues, there are many that you either have not acknowledged or are unaware of:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...90#post5728690
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=583611
hay.
The developers doing the new content are not the ones fixing bugs. So Bioware can do both things at the same time.
Fixing bugs is rarely as easy as we like to think, seeing it only from the outside. So it always takes more time than we, or the developers, hope.

MGriffith
01.28.2013 , 03:02 AM | #302
Quote: Originally Posted by Kheld View Post
Biowares utterly insane design decision never cease to amaze me. No wonder this game has crashed & burnt loosing 1+ million subscribers in a year.

Which sane MMO would force a PvE player into a PvP zone for a story quest? Bioware thats who.

& dont get me started on gating HK behind doing a HM Flashpoint. Way to go killing your game Bioware!

Lets deny the majority of MMO players nowadays (casual PvE'ers) from getting the a beloved companion from the Kotor games!

Lunacy. Utter fin lunacy.
Not lunacy really. We just have to realise that PvE servers aren't. PvE that is.
Bioware wanted to make a game about the (luke warm) war between Republic and Empire. The game always was about PvP. They just did not want to force everbody into open world PvP all the time (because experience taught game developers that only a tiny fraction of the potential player base likes that kind of gameplay).
PvE really means "Pvp Eventually"

MGriffith
01.28.2013 , 03:26 AM | #303
Quote: Originally Posted by oslek View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Mevan
Pretty much sums up the whole argument. If you want PvP, chose a PvP server.
So if someone wants to PVP they should roll on a PVP server? Glad you're not in charge of this game.
Guess I am glad you are not in charge either.
It does, however, seem more logical to me that if you have PvE and PvP servers than players who prefer PvE go to those servers and players who like PvP go there. Not the other way around. And that the default modus operandi on PvE servers is no-PvP while the default modus operandi on PvP servers is open world PvP.
Otherwise, why have two different types of servers at all?

darklordpotter
01.28.2013 , 07:46 AM | #304
Quote: Originally Posted by MGriffith View Post
Not lunacy really. We just have to realise that PvE servers aren't. PvE that is.
Bioware wanted to make a game about the (luke warm) war between Republic and Empire. The game always was about PvP. They just did not want to force everbody into open world PvP all the time (because experience taught game developers that only a tiny fraction of the potential player base likes that kind of gameplay).
PvE really means "Pvp Eventually"
That....I... what?

This ain't EVE this is supposed to be about a story and choose your adventure and blah, blah, blah. It is not and has never been about the PvP because otherwise all the money they spend on VO was even more wasted than it already is.

As far as PvE means anything for PvP it means "opt in" PvP putting PvE only content in PvP areas negates that very deliberate design decision in favour of allowing ganking. In fact the only people this benefits are the gankers - it annoys the PvE people who just want the story content and it doesn't benefit decent PvP players because there is no reward or challenge in completing the task.

oslek
01.28.2013 , 08:34 AM | #305
It does, however, seem more logical to me that if you have PvE and PvP servers than players who prefer PvE go to those servers and players who like PvP go there. Not the other way around. And that the default modus operandi on PvE servers is no-PvP while the default modus operandi on PvP servers is open world PvP.
Because not everyone who PVPs like walking around flagged all the time. The PVP server is there for people who enjoy that sort of thing. The PVE server is for people who don't want to be flagged all the time. But that doesn't mean those same players don't enjoy PVP. They just want to do it at their choosing.,

If you and the other poster had your way, players like me wouldn't be playing this game because I enjoy PVP, but not everywhere all the time. I don't like being flagged everywhere I go, but I also don't want to be forced to PVE all the time with no chance of competition with another player. That's what single player games are for. The way it's set up right now is fine.

You and others like you need to learn that MMOs are played by many types of players and not every thing that comes down the development pipeline is going to cater to specifically to you.

MGriffith
01.28.2013 , 03:12 PM | #306
Quote: Originally Posted by oslek View Post
Because not everyone who PVPs like walking around flagged all the time. The PVP server is there for people who enjoy that sort of thing. The PVE server is for people who don't want to be flagged all the time. But that doesn't mean those same players don't enjoy PVP. They just want to do it at their choosing.,

If you and the other poster had your way, players like me wouldn't be playing this game because I enjoy PVP, but not everywhere all the time. I don't like being flagged everywhere I go, but I also don't want to be forced to PVE all the time with no chance of competition with another player. That's what single player games are for. The way it's set up right now is fine.

You and others like you need to learn that MMOs are played by many types of players and not every thing that comes down the development pipeline is going to cater to specifically to you.
You seem to be reading something quite different into what I wrote than I intended.
I have no interest at all into forcing players to play one way or another. I would welcome the same courtesy from others.
I am fully aware that the PvP servers are for open world PvP. But I am awake enough to realise that the developers always had in mind that there would be PvP between republic and empire even on the PvE servers. That is why you have increasing amounts of contested areas as you level. They are shoving republic and empire players into each others face just to encourage them to flip that PvP switch. They also put some part of the new content in PvP areas for the same reason.

Dawginole
01.28.2013 , 03:38 PM | #307
There is no pvp in the open world areas on pve servers where we on pvp servers have it. If you then are suggesting that they remove the two dedicated pvp areas, one that is for end game, you will have a riot on your hands for BW removing an end game pvp area where pvp servers will have extra content.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

AshlaBoga
01.28.2013 , 04:01 PM | #308
Quote: Originally Posted by Tiberians View Post
I am not to fussed on weather or not there is any PvE Objectives in this update. PvE Players (aka carebears) already have enough content. Players that enjoy PvP are in need of more content other than the same old reptative Warzones.
The thing is that some people rolled on a PvE server to avoid PvP. Being forced into PvP to do PvE content is going to annoy a lot of those people. Heck, I'm on a PvP server and I sympathize with their plight. If they roll on a PvE server they've made it clear they don't want to do open world PvP. Forcing them into it could just hurt the game.

Besides, only bad PvP players get a sense of accomplishment from killing helpless PvE players. Skilled players prefer a challenge like PvP players in similar gear rather than Tionese geared 50s. You really think 1-2 shotting random 50s is content? You need to upgrade your standards a bit.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

MGriffith
01.29.2013 , 11:53 AM | #309
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
There is no pvp in the open world areas on pve servers where we on pvp servers have it. If you then are suggesting that they remove the two dedicated pvp areas, one that is for end game, you will have a riot on your hands for BW removing an end game pvp area where pvp servers will have extra content.
No, that is really not at all what I am saying.

Have not been saying several times now in fact.

All I have been saying is that bioware is pushing PvP gameplay even on PvE servers, by putting both factions more and more together into the same zones as they progress. On PvP servers the players are flagged automatically, but everything about the game design and communications from the developers make it clear that they see the PvP aspect as the primary endgame activity. The incorporation of PvP zones or events in the new expansions reinforces that impressin.

Personally I don't care for PvP and would love to have a play mode where I can never accidentally or intentionally interact with any player who is PvP flagged. No buffing, no healing, no guarding, no getting caught in an AoE attack. They are immune to me, I am immune to them.
Bioware has been warned that there are several exploits that allow a highlevel player to force an autoflag on a lower level player. They opted to close only some of the more glaring exploits, but not all of them.

But I am not going to ask for PvP servers to be shut down, nor for an end of voluntary PvP on the PvE servers. PvP is not for me, but I do realise that a lot of players enjoy the PvP gameplay some or all the time. I just wish more players would be willing to extend the courtesy in the other direction as well.

Costello
01.29.2013 , 12:37 PM | #310
Been two weeks since we were told about the return of the gree coming soon so shouldn't it be on the test server?

Even with the hoildays in the middle its been over 2 months since we got hypergates and I was of the impression that there was going to be new content every 6 to 8 weeks.