Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Armormech / Synthweaving

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Armormech / Synthweaving

Haasth
12.13.2011 , 12:51 PM | #1
So a friend of mine and I just got into the Early Access and he started leveling up armormech, he is a Jedi Knight (Guardian to specify), and figured that armormech would be a nice addition to his tanking oriented playstyle making armor (Such as say.. blacksmithing in other MMOs)

However, as of now he is only capable of making Trooper related armor (Nice for me and all, but not really the point) and was wondering if it was useful at all. So I had a look, and one wiki specifies Armormech is for "Non-force" users however the actual holonet (http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/crew-skills) isn't very specific about this and in fact Synthweaving specifically says "Lighter armor".

So to get to the question; is Armormech useless for Jedi Knights and should they instead use Synthweaving for good (tanking) armor?

Kiry
12.13.2011 , 12:53 PM | #2
Armortech is for Non-force users.

Synth is for force users - all of them, heavy, medium, and light. Codex should have stated heavy and medium, but I can't recall the exact verbage.
Sith Inquisitor - Sorcerer

Soyar
12.13.2011 , 12:53 PM | #3
Armormech is totally useless, he should be doing synthweaving.

Haasth
12.13.2011 , 12:54 PM | #4
Alright, will pass it along. Thanks guys.

Nautius
12.13.2011 , 12:56 PM | #5
If you have a good group, you guys should be able to crank out gear for each other very quickly. Especially once you get about 3 companions. Your gear will be about on par with what your level is. This is the first game where I have seen them get that right.
"Life is tough. It's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
///////۝\\██████████████████████████████████)

Epistolary
12.13.2011 , 01:05 PM | #6
I still don't completely understand the use of Armormech/Synthweaving... someone please correct the following:

1) They don't make mods in their current incarnations.
2) They make partially/non modable greens.
3) They make fully modable oranges.
4) They make non/partially/fully modable purples.

If I'm running instances and doing quests to get mods, what is the point of Armormech/Synthweaving other than aesthetics?

Thanks in advance for the info!
Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now, ask yourself: Are you ready to see that vision?
-Huey Freeman, The Boondocks

Vaxxis
12.13.2011 , 01:30 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Epistolary View Post
I still don't completely understand the use of
If I'm running instances and doing quests to get mods, what is the point of Armormech/Synthweaving other than aesthetics?
Thanks in advance for the info!
To the best of my knowledge, when you loot gear, one of the mods (armoring, I believe) is not removable. You can customize your gear to a point, swapping the other mods in and out as you see fit. If you want to fully customize the item, you need gear that has nothing in the Armoring slot to start with (which is why crafting produces unslotted items now)

This is true with Sabers, Blasters, and Armor.

PlayLoud
12.13.2011 , 02:07 PM | #8
So, if I make a Trooper Armormech, I can craft armor for Troopers and Smugglers only?
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | Mobo: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | SSD: Samsung EVO 1TB
Video: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Antec P182 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 | OS: Win 10 64 | Monitor: Dell G2410 1080p

EasymodeX
12.13.2011 , 02:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaxxis View Post
To the best of my knowledge, when you loot gear, one of the mods (armoring, I believe) is not removable. You can customize your gear to a point, swapping the other mods in and out as you see fit. If you want to fully customize the item, you need gear that has nothing in the Armoring slot to start with (which is why crafting produces unslotted items now)

99% sure you can overwrite the existing Amoring mod in the gear. You just can't pop it out of gear to abuse the system.

Edit: The reason why crafting produces unslotted items is cost effectiveness: it was a ****ton cheaper for a Synthweaver to make a chestpiece that already had 3 mods loaded in it rather than to get the Armoring from a Cybertech, a Mod from an Artificer, and the other mod from someone else, nevermind the base item.

E.g. a Synthweaver would essentially get 4 items from 1 crafting, instead of 1 item from 1 crafting.

skwrl
12.13.2011 , 02:21 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Vaxxis View Post

This is incorrect.

The only class of item you cannot remove the Armoring from is Purple Artifact gear from Endgame Operations (and PvP?).

At every other level you can.