Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question!

kdibuz
01.13.2013 , 10:21 PM | #1
Okay, so i want other Sin Tank even healers/ and other tanks response's about this question.

After me and my GM talked about the spiky-ness of a Sin Tank. The other healer and tank are saying we are to 'squishy' and 'not a real tank' even though we have more mitigation then the other tank classes. Every Sin Tank i have talked to is Spiky, and will take more Damage then a PT or Jug. But i want to hear from other people how they coupe with the spiky-ness and have other tanks dish them out, cause we aren't 'smooth damage' or wearing heavy armor. Out of the 3 tank classes for (empire of course) i love tanking on my Sin, seems more fun.

But any comments, just anything about this topic will be appreciated!

Grumpftard
01.15.2013 , 01:02 PM | #2
There are a lot of factors involved in this. The 3 main being: Gearing, Play style, and your healers.

Gearing a high endurance build and you will be "spiky-er" than if you went with a mitigation build.
Are your stats balanced? You are gonna get abused if one of your stats is way out of wack. (like ungodly high defense and crap all for absorb). Relic choices... Healing relic vs. Proc relic vs. Static defense relic. All are good but used in different ways.

Play style has an effect. If you are using a very sub-optimal priority/rotation it will have a big effect. Some tanks tend to favor using the Force Lightning heal, while some I've talked to say they rarely use it. How well and how often you use your cool downs has a major effect. Hell.... Even how well you know the fights has an effect.

Lastly, your healers will have an impact. My play style has changed to work with my healers. I know how hard I can push them before I overwhelm them. I have spent lots of hours and credits changing my gear and relics and grinding on bosses with my healer to see what works and what doesn't. "MY" healers have found it better when I gear for extreme mitigation with low HP, and have on many many occasions stated that the more aggressive I tank, the easier I am to heal.

A lot of it has to do with how much you put in to it. The more you dig into the math and experiment the better results you'll achieve.
TORVA NEX! (The Site) (The Video)
"You don't have to say more than that!!"
Grumpf =Tankasin / G'rumpf =Mara / Gru'mpf =Jugg / Grum'pf =P-Tech
Grump'f =Shadow / G'rump'f =Scoundrel / Gr'umpf =Operative / Jei'Dahl =Merc

JP_Legatus
01.15.2013 , 04:47 PM | #3
Yes sin tanks are a little bit squishier than other tanks in some ways, but with the abilities and skills you can make up for it and possibly surpass the mitigation of other tanks via a long list of mechanisms:

Your armor will be probably in the 6000's, which is between medium and heavy I think. It provides some mitigation. You also get an endurance talent and lots of white damage mitigation with shield. If that isn't enough white damage protection, you have saber ward. Snipers and carnage or other white damage dealers will have a tough time doing any damage to you at all.
Most tanks will probably invest in harnessed darkness. This can give you about 6% self healing every 8th global or so. You also get a 10% from overcharge saber.
Additionally, if you invest in wither you've already reduced incoming damage by 5% on anyone it touches. If you are surrounded by white damage dealers, dropping a discharge on them to reduce accuracy on them by 5% should help a little as well.
You also get shroud to deal with force damage. While this only lasts 5 seconds, it acts as a cleanse and prevents dots from being reapplied until it finishes. The cd is high, but defending attacks (which you should do regularly) reduces the cooldown on shroud, so it'll be up more often as a tank.
If that isn't enough, you've got pull, spike, interrupt, electrocute, grenades, overload, and whirlwind at your disposal to help stop incoming damage altogether.
You can also make use of force speed to break snares and space yourself in a more appropriate way from the attacking team, which IMO you should count as a method of mitigation.
As a last resort, when all 8 enemies are beating on you mercilessly and you're taking too many force attacks and have used all of those abilities, you simply force cloak and hide until you feel safe entering combat again. Even if a dot or aoe breaks your stealth, you've negated many incoming attacks for however long you are stealthed just by being untargetable/LOS'd.
For specific situations, if you're facing a large number of smashers you can drop harnessed and pick up fade, which reduces aoe by 30% and allows you to also grab blackout, which potentially provides 24 seconds or more (if you get out of combat at some point) of flat damage reduction. Smashers will cry.

So do sin tanks have mitigation? Yes we do.
Plaje - 55 Assassin Sorcheals - 55 Sorcerer
TheHulkk - 55 Juggernaut Riksa - 55 Marauder
Ophealing - 55 Operative Lolsniper - 55 Sniper
Overpoweredtech - 29 Powertech The Bastion http://www.twitch.tv/plajje