Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

TOR Sith characters got better characterization than Jedi?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
TOR Sith characters got better characterization than Jedi?

Path-x
01.15.2013 , 04:04 PM | #21
Obviously, the Empire was cooler / better ever since Vader walked out of the airlock in A New Hope in 1977. Always has been and always will be.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Kaedusz
01.16.2013 , 04:48 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Jedi can be done in an interesting way. (Of course, if you make the "goody two shoes" their only character trait, they aren't interesting.
The thing is,if they are not goody two shoes,they don't qualify for an exemplary jedi.So basicaly if you are a good jedi,you are boring.Yoda is boring for me ,not not mention annoying.Basicaly all jedi from the movies are boring,except Anakin,and he is what you call in swtor dark side jedi knight.
Of course there are exceptions.But they are not in the movies.

Would also like to point out that i didn't grew up with the movies( i dont like them) as some people here,my introduction to the Star Wars universe was Kotor 1 and 2,so maybe that effects my opinion.

Sith and grey jedi are much more multi dimensional.

Damn,im bored at work .

Maaruin
01.16.2013 , 05:22 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
The thing is,if they are not goody two shoes,they don't qualify for an exemplary jedi.So basicaly if you are a good jedi,you are boring.Yoda is boring for me ,not not mention annoying.Basicaly all jedi from the movies are boring,except Anakin,and he is what you call in swtor dark side jedi knight.
Of course there are exceptions.But they are not in the movies.

Sith and grey jedi are much more multi dimensional.
Yoda in the Prequels is boring, I agree on that. But do you also consider Yoda from Empire Strikes Back as boring? And the Emperor (who doesn't really do anything and doesn't get that much characterization) from Return of the Jedi as that much more interesting? YMMV, but in my opinion the Jedi didn't get boring until the Prequels.

I think good characters can very well be multi dimensional. Again I'll use Lord of the Rings as example. There are quite a few good characters: Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pipin, Theoden, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir, to list the major ones. Some of them may be boring, but do you consider every single one of them boring?

(Of course, they aren't Jedi. But if multi-dimensional good characters are possible in general, multi-dimensional good Jedi should also be possible. IMO there are some in the Star Wars universe, for example Nomi Sunrider or Lord Hoth.)

Edit: In what order did you watch the movies? If your first impression of the Jedi were the Jedi in Episode I, then I can see why you see Jedi as boring.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Kaedusz
01.16.2013 , 05:39 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post

Edit: In what order did you watch the movies? If your first impression of the Jedi were the Jedi in Episode I, then I can see why you see Jedi as boring.
Before i played Kotor ,SW was just a silly movie to me,didn't pay much attention and didn't know what was going on,only watched small parts from different episodes.

First i played Kotor ,got hooked up on SW then i watched more carefully episodes 1,2,4,5,6,3,in that order.

If you watch SW in the 80s and 90s for the first time ofc Yoda and Kenobi are gonna be interesting,ect,ect.After i played kotor 2 and looked up stuff regarding the EU up untill the Ruusan Reformation,the jedi in the movies were kinda uninteresting to me.As i said some jedi are cool,but they are from the EU.Its just my pov.

edit:And that tendency follows in that game,imo the sith protagonists in swtor are more interesting than their jedi counterparts.

Maaruin
01.16.2013 , 05:44 AM | #25
Before i played Kotor ,SW was just a silly movie to me,didn't pay much attention and didn't know what was going on,only watched small parts from different episodes.

First i played Kotor ,got hooked up on SW then i watched more carefully episodes 1,2,4,5,6,3,in that order.

If you watch SW in the 80s for the first time ofc Yoda is gonna be interesting,ect,ect.After i played kotor 2 and looked up stuff regarding the EU up untill the Ruusan Reformation,the jedi in the movies were kinda uninteresting to me.As i said some jedi are cool,but they are from the EU.Its just my pov.
I see.

I agree that we need more interesting Jedi. As I said, good Jedi, but they also need to be multi-dimensional, interesting characters.

If you have played Jedi Knight Chapter 1, what do you think of Master Orgus?
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Path-x
01.16.2013 , 12:52 PM | #26
It is sad that most of the younger ppl now watches it in episode order. The films should be watched in release order. The original trilogy story structure was designed and written in way that you start with Ep4. The prequel trilogy as its name clearly indicates is a back-story to original trilogy so it should be watched second.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

FoolsErrand
01.16.2013 , 01:43 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
It is sad that most of the younger ppl now watches it in episode order. The films should be watched in release order. The original trilogy story structure was designed and written in way that you start with Ep4. The prequel trilogy as its name clearly indicates is a back-story to original trilogy so it should be watched second.
There was a big debate about what order the movies should be watched in. A general agreement was 4,5, (optional 1), 2,3,6. Watching 4, 5, then having the prequels kinda work as a flashback, then coming into 6 with the knowledge of the prequels. That way someone meets him as Vader, gets the suprise of "Luke I AM YOUR FATHER!", then finds out about a young Anakin, then you come back and get to see him redeemed by his son. Again, 1 is optional. It's not needed for the story and can be watched afterwords as well just to see Darth Maul and Jinn.
Never give up! Never surrender!

Slowpokeking
01.16.2013 , 01:50 PM | #28
I will say PT Palpatine is more interesting than both the OT and PT Yoda.

Maaruin
01.16.2013 , 03:13 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I will say PT Palpatine is more interesting than both the OT and PT Yoda.
Yeah, but IMO OT Yoda is more interesting than OT Palpatine.

Quote: Originally Posted by FoolsErrand View Post
There was a big debate about what order the movies should be watched in. A general agreement was 4,5, (optional 1), 2,3,6. Watching 4, 5, then having the prequels kinda work as a flashback, then coming into 6 with the knowledge of the prequels. That way someone meets him as Vader, gets the suprise of "Luke I AM YOUR FATHER!", then finds out about a young Anakin, then you come back and get to see him redeemed by his son. Again, 1 is optional. It's not needed for the story and can be watched afterwords as well just to see Darth Maul and Jinn.
Hmm, that puts the sister-reveal at the end of Episode 3. I'm not sure what to think about this...
-Ajunta Pall

Caelith
01.16.2013 , 05:51 PM | #30
I agree.

By the end of Chapter 1 on my Sith i had more of an opinion of my masters than I did on my Jedi Knight, hell up untill he showed up again i forgot i had a master...
The siege of Coruscant was in fact brought to an end after the republic agreed to give the Empire a Shrubbery, one that looked nice and wasn't too expensive.