Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Heroic space missions

lironBD
01.12.2013 , 01:30 PM | #1
I tried again doing them, even watched all of the tutorial vids on the internet etc..

first I tried the "Cha Rabba" mission as it's pretty short and mostly goes around the flying around avoiding asteroids.
after 2-3 tries managed to complete it then I got the "operation" version of this mission got my BH cooms and such.

next I went to try the "Duma Assault" and man this mission is pain in the ***.. it's like the utter "hard work"... first u have to take down 4 frigates BUT there are more then 4 frigates so you have to fail 4-5 times to learn where the ones u can nuke fast enough to take down.
then you got the 2 coverts which comes with bombers.. so again fail 2-3 times until you learn which spaceships are bombers and which not and how to avoid damage from them.
next we got the destroyer giant command ship which u need to take the bridge with proton torpedo...
that's what's was most painful...
on previous space missions no matter which level 1 proton = dead target.
on this target you need 2 protons so it's really hard to kill other target, avoid fire and manage to fire a proton torpedo... which leads to ---> I can swear in god's name that on this mission proton lock on target takes way longer then any other mission.
on "Clouds over vondru" I can take the 4 shield generators with protons with ease yet here the one target i need to lock on is elusive like a ninja and lock-down takes forever.

this missions are pain in the *** the require you to fail constantly in order to learn the mechanics and worst prt is that 1 small failure... 1 missed target and it's game over.

Asked around my 400 ppl guild if anyone did those and the consensus was that most of the people managed to complete "SOME" of the the missions then didn't bother to pick them up again.

and that's a shame as this new space missions grants achievements (got achievement for bonus mission) and they have new types of enemies and objectives yet instead of having some learning curve which becomes more difficult with each new missions they are all way to harsh on players mistakes and in the end they are not fun at all.

I'm extremely frustrated about them and I have no idea who in his right mind made them and thought that with strongest spaceship gear getting destroyed in 2 seconds will be fun.. who thought that a trash fighter survivng 4 uber rockets is fun.. etc..

steam vented.
Europe -> The Red Ecplipse
Oracans-> Sith Pureblood Inquisitor Sorcerer

Dragonbgone
01.12.2013 , 01:36 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by lironBD View Post
. . .require you to fail constantly in order to learn the mechanics and worst prt is that 1 small failure... 1 missed target and it's game over. . .
This is what makes the challenge; it's the exact same thing in trying to complete an operation. If you want to challenge yourself with these types of games, RPGs, you'll have to be fine with failure. Dying is NOT a problem in these games and it can't have a negative impact over you if you want to attempt the most difficult content in the game.

Keep trying man, don't give up, and remember, if you die you don't lose anything.

But don't try to get them nerfed, they're right were they need to be. If the fights are too difficult for you to have fun then just don't do them.
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

lironBD
01.12.2013 , 01:40 PM | #3
no no... nerf is not needed..

just better guides and mission objectives, maybe tutorials on swtor websites showing "how you take down a frigate in new heroic space mission" something general and nothing mission specific.

but basically I can say that one of this missions to beat first time more then 1 per week is too much for me :P
Europe -> The Red Ecplipse
Oracans-> Sith Pureblood Inquisitor Sorcerer

Grayseven
01.12.2013 , 10:23 PM | #4
I don't mind hard, as long as the mechanics work as they should.

For example: Barrel roll. I keep hearing how you have to use this, it's imperative to use this, doing barrel rolls will help you stay alive.

I'm calling bull. I barrel roll, and even in a barrel roll I'm taking damage. I'm zipping all over the screen trying to avoid fire from bombers and the like and it doesn't seem to matter what the heck I'm doing, I'm taking damage.

Of course, while flying all over creation trying to avoid fire you aren't really hitting any targets so nothing is going away as you are getting spanked.

So tell me, what is barrel rolling supposed to do?
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

SgtKlavier
01.12.2013 , 10:49 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post

For example: Barrel roll. I keep hearing how you have to use this, it's imperative to use this, doing barrel rolls will help you stay alive.

I'm calling bull. I barrel roll, and even in a barrel roll I'm taking damage. I'm zipping all over the screen trying to avoid fire from bombers and the like and it doesn't seem to matter what the heck I'm doing, I'm taking damage.

Of course, while flying all over creation trying to avoid fire you aren't really hitting any targets so nothing is going away as you are getting spanked.

Do you use WASD to move as well? Barrel roll won't help you dodge as much unless you're also using the directional keys to move all over the place, allowing you to focus your targeting reticule where it needs to be.

Grayseven
01.12.2013 , 11:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SgtKlavier View Post
Do you use WASD to move as well? Barrel roll won't help you dodge as much unless you're also using the directional keys to move all over the place, allowing you to focus your targeting reticule where it needs to be.
Yep, well, I use the tophat on my Nostromo but I'm all over the screen. The question remains, what does barrel rolling supposedly do?
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

SgtKlavier
01.12.2013 , 11:11 PM | #7
Quote:
Yep, well, I use the tophat on my Nostromo but I'm all over the screen. The question remains, what does barrel rolling supposedly do?
Technically, I would say it gives a small spiral movement around the focal point of your spaceship's location, which is further exaggerated by more lateral/vertical movement, thus making you better at avoiding incoming fire. You are not, however, going to be able to avoid everything or most things, and some missions do necessitate the use of the electronic warfare pod to grant "immunity" for some sections.

Draloch
01.12.2013 , 11:36 PM | #8
Regarding Duma Assault command ship:

There are really only 3 opportunities to get a lock, and you have to hit with 2 of those. The 2nd one is almost impossible to hold your mouse right to get a lock and I don't think I've ever succeeded in doing it.

It really comes down to the first opportunity you get, which is extremely easy to miss. It comes in the first 3rd of the mission where you're still dodging asteroids. The command ship will briefly appear at the bottom of your screen and it will be while you are still fighitng those strong fighter ships so you will likely be focussed on them. You have to know where that spot is when the command ship comes into view at the bottom of your screen and take the time to lock a proton torpedo so you can get that first hit.

I usually have to fail one time because I'm too focused on the fighters that I forget to watch carefully for that first opportunity. I usually realize my mistake when I exit the asteroid field and I don't even bother with the rest of the mission. I just hit escape and start over.

I've done the missions a few times now and they are certainly extremely hard to get down the first time. Once you learn then, you get better and better at them and now I usually don't require a 2nd run to get most of them down.

SgtKlavier
01.13.2013 , 12:12 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Draloch View Post
Regarding Duma Assault command ship:

There are really only 3 opportunities to get a lock, and you have to hit with 2 of those. The 2nd one is almost impossible to hold your mouse right to get a lock and I don't think I've ever succeeded in doing it.

It really comes down to the first opportunity you get, which is extremely easy to miss. It comes in the first 3rd of the mission where you're still dodging asteroids. The command ship will briefly appear at the bottom of your screen and it will be while you are still fighitng those strong fighter ships so you will likely be focussed on them. You have to know where that spot is when the command ship comes into view at the bottom of your screen and take the time to lock a proton torpedo so you can get that first hit.

I usually have to fail one time because I'm too focused on the fighters that I forget to watch carefully for that first opportunity. I usually realize my mistake when I exit the asteroid field and I don't even bother with the rest of the mission. I just hit escape and start over.

I've done the missions a few times now and they are certainly extremely hard to get down the first time. Once you learn then, you get better and better at them and now I usually don't require a 2nd run to get most of them down.
Aye, also just found you can get both proton torpedo hits in the last spot, you just need to start targeting very early on.

DaShuk
01.13.2013 , 10:22 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post

Barrel Roll seems to be useless, even in the non-HM space missions.