Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reporting the F-bomb

Hyde_v
01.15.2013 , 08:59 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DemonicPenguin View Post
I don't see that anyone has asked the obvious question. If the f word offends you, why do you have the profanity filter turned off? That's the very reason it's an option and defaulted to be on when you start the game. At some point you had to manually turn it off.
According to a GM (bot, droid, whatever the game moderators call themselves,) if you report someone with your filter on, all the GM sees is the astericks. They do not have a master chat file that lets them see everything. When I asked the GM "So, if I want to report someone for profanity, I have to turn my filter off so you can see the offending words?"

The GM's response to me: "That is correct."

Now, if that is wrong, the Bioware customer service department better start some major communication efforts with the company's staff. I have no way of knowing if what a GM tells me is not valid. The CSRs are the only source of information on the company's policies.

I often prefer to keep my chat channels off when playing MMOs. But there are times, and content, where I must have my chat turned on. However, the filter does not mask just profanity. There are a whole slew of words that the filter removes and their removal does not make sense. This makes communication a bit weird. So, for that reason, and what the GM told me, I have to keep my filter turned off when I do have chat activated.

Now, if another GM wants to tell me that what I have been told in the past is incorrect, or even answer my original question, then fine. We can get this whole discussion terminated. Until then, I want an answer! And if I have to endure people telling me to "lighten up," so be it.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

jediharrsion
01.15.2013 , 09:37 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Hyde_v View Post
According to a GM (bot, droid, whatever the game moderators call themselves,) if you report someone with your filter on, all the GM sees is the astericks. They do not have a master chat file that lets them see everything. When I asked the GM "So, if I want to report someone for profanity, I have to turn my filter off so you can see the offending words?"

The GM's response to me: "That is correct."

Now, if that is wrong, the Bioware customer service department better start some major communication efforts with the company's staff. I have no way of knowing if what a GM tells me is not valid. The CSRs are the only source of information on the company's policies.

I often prefer to keep my chat channels off when playing MMOs. But there are times, and content, where I must have my chat turned on. However, the filter does not mask just profanity. There are a whole slew of words that the filter removes and their removal does not make sense. This makes communication a bit weird. So, for that reason, and what the GM told me, I have to keep my filter turned off when I do have chat activated.

Now, if another GM wants to tell me that what I have been told in the past is incorrect, or even answer my original question, then fine. We can get this whole discussion terminated. Until then, I want an answer! And if I have to endure people telling me to "lighten up," so be it.
Sounds to me like your doing this on propuse and trying to play the victom. your creating a issue out of nothing. The fact is simple Turn on your profanity filter stop complaining and enjoy the game

Edgeup
01.16.2013 , 01:05 AM | #23
Whats the big deal about a little profanity. We will seen get to see homosexuality in the game if I find that offensive can I report that too? At least there is an option to censor out profanity. This game is clearly not aimed at young kids I do not see why there is a debate about this.

spectreclees
01.16.2013 , 01:28 AM | #24
I really do not care about other players who say "There's a filter, grow up, get a thick skin, etc." on this topic.

The rules says "Do not cuss" in the game. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, has to click on "I Agree" in order to play the game. A new patch or update comes out, everyone has to click on "I Agree" in order to play the game after the download. Having a filter in the game does not, according to the rules, give anyone free reign to type out profanity. If players cannot abide by that, they should not click "I Agree."

Frankly, comments like the previous poster's saying to "lighten up" are simply derailing the thread. There are options (and rules) about that sort of thing too.

I want to see a Bioware rep confirm that using the window option is the same as opening a ticket. Otherwise, people using this feature are wasting their time. I am not interested in a discussion on the morality of people using profanity and whether it offends or not.
If I am using a cuss in a friendly matter. Like saying OH MY !@#!@#! GOD this is awesome! Are you really going to report me?

You need to learn to be lenient in online games because as a norm, cussing is something that goes on. It's where you can get away with it with not many consequences. Everyone wants to be someone different when they are online. It's a way to deal with stress/relax after a long day.

Now if I am straight up harassing you with cusses calling you this that and the other. Then yes, report me. But if people are dropping F-bombs for laughs and having a good time. Just ignore them and move on.

Stoofa
01.16.2013 , 04:24 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Edgeup View Post
Whats the big deal about a little profanity. We will seen get to see homosexuality in the game if I find that offensive can I report that too? At least there is an option to censor out profanity. This game is clearly not aimed at young kids I do not see why there is a debate about this.
Yes you can - by simply not taking part in the homosexual story lines.
It won't be forced on you. If there is an option for a "same sex flirt" then simply don't take it and problem solved.
The only reason the same-sex relationships have been added is for sad little boys so they can make their female characters "flirt" with other females.

Swearing in an open chat channel is entirely different to a private story dialogue which can be avoided anyway.

DemonicPenguin
01.16.2013 , 05:44 AM | #26
At this point you're bordering on trolling. I didn't realize you could turn off the profanity filter the first month or two I played I game, and always had chat on. There was rarely a time when the filter took out a word that didn't make sense. Even when it did ***** out a word anyone with half a brain can read the rest of the sentence and use context to figure out what was meant to be said.

Sounds more and more to me that you just get your jollies telling on other people. The ratio of f-bombs to improper **** weighs far heavier on the f-bomb side. Put on your big boy pants, turn on the profanity filter and just play the game.

wombinator
01.16.2013 , 08:49 AM | #27
If you can't handle the F-bomb then get the hell off the internet.

/signed by millions of others.

Wizard_Thoarin
01.16.2013 , 11:23 AM | #28
Actually, I'm curious about your intended goal for reporting people using profanity in general chat?

If your goal is to get everyone that drops the f-bomb or uses other profanity banned, suspended or censored in some way, I think your going to be disappointed. They won't punish anyone or everyone for using some profanity because too many people do it and Bioware/EA would loose too much money from said punished accounts.

If however someone is directing the profanity directly at you and is being threatening and or obviously trying to harass you then Bioware/EA probably will do something to that single account holder.

It all comes down to money, if its only going to cost them a single account I'm sure they will come down on the punish side since its now a F2P game and a single account won't cost them much in the big picture. However, if we are talking multiple thousands of accounts then they aren't going to do a thing because it will cost too much money.

Personally, I don't care about people using profanity... I do care about people telling other people to go kill themselves or injure themselves in some way and report those when I see them and hope Bioware/EA does the right thing.
Wizards First Rule: People are Stupid

_Darkstar
01.16.2013 , 11:57 AM | #29
I agree with the OP, generally a swear word or 2 in general chat doesn't bother me, but most swear words also double as insults and that is how they tend to be used in general chat.

The fact that the only right click option is to report spam is a bit strange, you would expect at least harrasment/insulting language to be there.

I do love the maturity arguement that people use to defend swearing though, mature people respect their audience. Mature =/= 18+.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

BlownSi
01.16.2013 , 12:55 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
Yes you can - by simply not taking part in the homosexual story lines.
It won't be forced on you. If there is an option for a "same sex flirt" then simply don't take it and problem solved.

The only reason the same-sex relationships have been added is for sad little boys so they can make their female characters "flirt" with other females.

Swearing in an open chat channel is entirely different to a private story dialogue which can be avoided anyway.
So wait......you are moaning and whining about swearing in chat when there is a preventative tool already in the game to filter it from being seen that can be toggled (as in choice) by you the player, yet you lecture someone about the fact that they have the choice to NOT PARTICIPATE in the SGR interactions on Makeb?

Pot.....Kettle....Anyone?
Harmeggido - J'anin - Zophie - Kaase
DaMG - The Shadowlands