Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What if there were a server WITHOUT the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What if there were a server WITHOUT the cartel market?

Machine-Elf
01.11.2013 , 03:06 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by uziforyou View Post
And the incentive for Bioware to do this would be.....................................?
I edited the OP in order to make this clearer.

Fornix
01.11.2013 , 03:20 PM | #22
Keep in mind that it's most probably just a vocal minority opposed to the cartel market AND are subbing to the game who would be willing to transfer to such a server. Chances are big it'll end up more dead than the worst APAC server.

And the couple hundred of haters on mmorpg.com and alike of which most aren't subbing anyway, aren't really going to fill those slots. Many haven't even played the game at all for practically a year.
Member of <Helix>

oslek
01.11.2013 , 03:25 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
Keep in mind that it's most probably just a vocal minority opposed to the cartel market AND are subbing to the game who would be willing to transfer to such a server. Chances are big it'll end up more dead than the worst APAC server.

And the couple hundred of haters on mmorpg.com and alike of which most aren't subbing anyway, aren't really going to fill those slots. Many haven't even played the game at all for practically a year.
That's because MMORPG.COM is a site filled with people who hate every MMO that isn't a sandbox. It's basically the place for disgruntled SWG vets.They;'ve had a hate on for this game since the announcement that TOR would be story based and not SWG2. The TESO sub forum there is getting a good dose of their vile right now.

Icestar
01.11.2013 , 03:48 PM | #24
I would not change to a server without cartel market, it adds a little more fun to the game

Nydus
01.11.2013 , 03:52 PM | #25
I don't understand why this would be a benefit.

I haven't spent a single cartel coin and don't feel I'm having any less or more of an experience. I've purchased some of the cartel coin items on GTN. I've earned others through missions, etc. (e.g. equipment necessary for the new space missions).

If anything, the GTN has resulted in more choice for content and I'm not sure I want to give this up, even if I've (so far) seen very little value in the items that have been offered so far. Or, to put it more correctly, the few items I've coveted I've obtained through means that don't involve me whipping out my credit card.

I think BW has done an EXCELLENT job here of adding a market without destroying the experience of people like me who prefer the subscription model.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Cretinus
01.11.2013 , 04:28 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
So I just had an idea: what if there were a server in which the Cartel Market didn't exist? This server would be exclusive to subscribers, who in turn would pay a premium (say, 20$/25$ a month instead of the standard 15$) in order to gain access to it.
A server for rich people from rich countries? Go ahead and be happy with your "premium" pears, but why do you think that this would be an interesting suggestion for the majority here?

Jason_T
01.11.2013 , 04:38 PM | #27
Market items dont change any game balance so I dont see any issue with it or any reason why a server without the market would benefit anyone. The few items that do have stats on them are not for 'end game' players so they dont really cause any trouble for people who choose not to buy them.

DarthOvertone
01.11.2013 , 04:45 PM | #28
Personally, I really like the fluff emotes and things people purchased from the Cartel Market and sold on the GTN. I check for new stuff daily and have never spent a Cartel Coin.

My favorite is the Ball Toss. The Cartel Market is worth having around just for the Ball Toss emote.
Alphamaul, Alphanoob, Alphazen - Garbage S1 Champion
Ebon Hawk | Harbinger
SWTOR 4.3: There has been a PvP Awakening. Have you felt it?

Machine-Elf
01.11.2013 , 05:31 PM | #29
Well, I must admit I'm surprised by the responses to this thread. It's almost as if there hasn't been an overflow of angry posts re: grade 7 space mission items being made available through the cartel market in the last couple of weeks, and 99% of threads containing the word F2p weren't reduced to, essentially, rage-quitting diatribes and hair-pulling ramblings on the perils of "pay-to-win".

I guess there's one thing we can learn from it: F2P is an unqualified success—perhaps the most successful implementation of this model in a Western MMO, ever—and anyone who believes otherwise should be instantly dismissed as either a.) trolling b.) a massively.com subscriber, or c.) unworthy of posting on these forums.

Tumedus
01.11.2013 , 05:45 PM | #30
I think lots of subs have a delusion about their importance in this model. There are people who have spent hundreds, possibly more, on the cartel market. Subscription fees are no longer the primary revenue stream, the store is. You think they are going to offer you a $5 monthly fee to circumvent that?

Not only that, but it essentially isolates F2P even more than they are already. At least in the current model, they can just subscribe and be on even footing with everyone else. With secluded servers, a F2P would have to start over on the special server to particpate with the regular folk. That's a bad model for player retention, something this game doesn't excel at anyway.

Further, its just not practical. There are arguably too many server types already and you want to spread it even thinner. How about a server for people who want add-ons and dual spec? A server with no romanceable options? Another server with no companions at all? A free for all pvp server? How about a server where everyone plays as Ortolan?