Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ask a Mercenary thread 2.0


DarthBloodloss's Avatar


DarthBloodloss
03.27.2013 , 06:17 PM | #411
Quote: Originally Posted by Koyaanisqat View Post
If I am in unranked, I am saving ElectroNet for targetted sages and scoundrels to ensure they're not escaping my incoming burst volley.
Yea that's good too. Teammates will love it

But I feel that on my Merc, my main weakness is avoiding Maras+Jugs long enough to kill them. Yes, occasionally a target will slip away, LOS, etc. But that doesn't bother me nearly as much as not having KB or Stun (or Electro Net) when a Mara leaps at me.

My current strategy is to save Stun and KB, and only use them on melee toons (of course there are rare exceptions).
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

JimmyTheCannon's Avatar


JimmyTheCannon
03.27.2013 , 08:49 PM | #412
Quote: Originally Posted by Sideblaze View Post
Does the damage have a cap? Or does it straight up punish people who move too damn much?


Also, Suppose they use the CC breaker and are able to charge me, would the damage gain A TON of they charged a good distance, or would nothing change after the charge?
The way it works, I believe, is that the more they move, the more stacks they get. Up to 5 stacks for non-players and 10 stacks for players. Each stack increases the damage the dot deals by 20%.

I never actually got around to testing the ability, unfortunately, so I can't say how it interacts with charge after a CC break.

Macroeconomics's Avatar


Macroeconomics
03.28.2013 , 01:12 AM | #413
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
1) (Assuming their resolve isn't full)
2) Power Surge + Concussion Missile - (this trick never used to work because they don't need to save their stun breaker against us, and will usually break this)
3) Now if they break the 8s CC, you slap them with the Electro Net and are in solid shape
Just so you know, this tactic will not work vs. a good Mara. Assuming the Mara just used Force Leap to get next to you, he can easily use his cc breaker to remove Concussion Missile. Once you Electro Net him, he uses Intimidating Roar. Then he can wait out the Electro Net effect since in the last 3 seconds, he can use Crippling Slash and Deadly Throw. He will take no damage from movement. Then he will leap right back to you with Obliterate. If the Merc uses his cc breaker on the Intimidating Roar, the Mara uses Force Choke to achieve the same effect although the Mara may need to move for 1 sec and add in a Force Scream.

Now, it will be the case that initially in 2.0, many melee will run around like chickens with their heads cut off after you apply Electro Net. And they will die. And complaints about Electro Net will flow. It may even be nerfed in 2.1. But once melee learn how to deal with it, Electro Net is ineffective at close range. Electro Net must be applied at beyond 15m range in order to be effective. And even then, all it does is absorb an enemy cc breaker. That's better than nothing of course. But Mercs remain a free kill for any good melee once the melee gets at point blank range.

Koyaanisqat's Avatar


Koyaanisqat
03.28.2013 , 05:13 AM | #414
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
Just so you know, this tactic will not work vs. a good Mara. Assuming the Mara just used Force Leap to get next to you, he can easily use his cc breaker to remove Concussion Missile. Once you Electro Net him, he uses Intimidating Roar. Then he can wait out the Electro Net effect since in the last 3 seconds, he can use Crippling Slash and Deadly Throw. He will take no damage from movement. Then he will leap right back to you with Obliterate. If the Merc uses his cc breaker on the Intimidating Roar, the Mara uses Force Choke to achieve the same effect although the Mara may need to move for 1 sec and add in a Force Scream.

Now, it will be the case that initially in 2.0, many melee will run around like chickens with their heads cut off after you apply Electro Net. And they will die. And complaints about Electro Net will flow. It may even be nerfed in 2.1. But once melee learn how to deal with it, Electro Net is ineffective at close range. Electro Net must be applied at beyond 15m range in order to be effective. And even then, all it does is absorb an enemy cc breaker. That's better than nothing of course. But Mercs remain a free kill for any good melee once the melee gets at point blank range.
I think the point is to net and use jet blast with afterburners to send them 15+m so you are out of range from force scream and roar.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

Macroeconomics's Avatar


Macroeconomics
03.28.2013 , 10:40 AM | #415
Quote: Originally Posted by Koyaanisqat View Post
I think the point is to net and use jet blast with afterburners to send them 15+m so you are out of range from force scream and roar.
That is a dubious tactic. It allows the Mara the ability to use his cc breaker to disable both Electro Net and the snare with a single use. At that point you still get one stun to use against the Mara - either Electro Dart or insta-cast Concussion Missile before he gets white barred. But you always had the ability to use one stun vs. the Mara. So what have you accomplished? Nothing. You wasted Electro Net. You wasted Jet Boost.

The use of insta-cast Concussion Missile is the way to go. You must take advantage of your two stuns/ccs. But you can't just use Electro Net right after Concussion Missile. It's more complicated than that. Ideally you are using Electro Net after the enemy melee is white barred. That's because Electro Net has stun-like properties vs. a melee yet still works when their resolve bar is full. Take advantage of that.

Koyaanisqat's Avatar


Koyaanisqat
03.28.2013 , 01:18 PM | #416
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
That is a dubious tactic. It allows the Mara the ability to use his cc breaker to disable both Electro Net and the snare with a single use. At that point you still get one stun to use against the Mara - either Electro Dart or insta-cast Concussion Missile before he gets white barred. But you always had the ability to use one stun vs. the Mara. So what have you accomplished? Nothing. You wasted Electro Net. You wasted Jet Boost.

The use of insta-cast Concussion Missile is the way to go. You must take advantage of your two stuns/ccs. But you can't just use Electro Net right after Concussion Missile. It's more complicated than that. Ideally you are using Electro Net after the enemy melee is white barred. That's because Electro Net has stun-like properties vs. a melee yet still works when their resolve bar is full. Take advantage of that.
I guess that's going to be all tactics and strategy, really. I myself am mastering fighting in the 4m<x<10m range, which really seems to confuse a lot of Sith Warriors/Jedi Knights.
Elgyn Vriess, Space Pirate of the KDY-MANTIS Amelia, HYPERSPACE LEGEND.
Courier at large; Mercenary at small.
Elgyn Vriess Courier Company: When you need tab A inserted into slot B without C getting in the way. No questions asked (besides, "What'll it pay?").

DarthBloodloss's Avatar


DarthBloodloss
03.28.2013 , 01:20 PM | #417
Not trying to defend this as the best tactic ever, but since we are talkin about it...

1) Power Surge + Concussion
2) If they break it, you can try to KB and then Electro Net (to avoid the PB AoE CC or Choke)
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

JimmyTheCannon's Avatar


JimmyTheCannon
03.28.2013 , 02:20 PM | #418
Also, keep in mind Obliterate CAN be used while under the effects of Electro Net, without using a CC break first. They might still take damage, but it won't stop them from closing with you.

DarthBloodloss's Avatar


DarthBloodloss
03.28.2013 , 03:48 PM | #419
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Also, keep in mind Obliterate CAN be used while under the effects of Electro Net, without using a CC break first. They might still take damage, but it won't stop them from closing with you.
I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Obliterate is only 10m? or 15m tops? I have a Mara alt and it feels like such a short range. I don't think its long enough to jump in after a KB
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

JimmyTheCannon's Avatar


JimmyTheCannon
03.28.2013 , 09:48 PM | #420
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure Obliterate is only 10m? or 15m tops? I have a Mara alt and it feels like such a short range. I don't think its long enough to jump in after a KB
It is 10 m, yes. If you can knock them back beyond that they can't Obliterate to you. But that's another reason why ElectroNet is better used at range than at melee.