Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ask a Mercenary thread 2.0

Darth_Saren
12.13.2011 , 05:49 PM | #21
I know you use a hybrid build but I was wondering if you've ever tried using a full pyrotech build before. I want to dps but the arsenal tree's reliance on tracer missile is kind of a turn off for me. Is using pyrotech fun/effective?

Darth_Saren
12.13.2011 , 05:57 PM | #22
whoops sorry, duplicate post

Necrosov
12.13.2011 , 06:34 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Saren View Post
I know you use a hybrid build but I was wondering if you've ever tried using a full pyrotech build before. I want to dps but the arsenal tree's reliance on tracer missile is kind of a turn off for me. Is using pyrotech fun/effective?
I played a Merc in the beta to 50 and I tried Pyrotech for Merc a few times. It was a viable build for the Warzones. It is a very mobile tree from all the instant attacks and I was able to be on the move constantly in the Warzones which added to my survivablity. I could kite someone or chase them down pretty easily. The burst damage was pretty lackluster compared to Arsenal tho.

Werdan
12.13.2011 , 06:40 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
this some termoil within my group about where im placed in the order of things. im planning on using your build for live (pending any changes that would need altering) and i maintain that i can act as an off-tank healer, with decent DPS.

would this be an accurate description of what the merc turns out to be?
Off tank healer? No. Even though we wear heavy armor we lack skills and gear (shield) needed to take any kind of abuse like that. You can eitehr DPS, heal, or do well with both using my build.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mannyy View Post
i haven't played beta or anything.

Is this spec viable for end game pve?
While it's mostly a PvP build I have no issues with PvE. I've done just about every Flashpoint from level 10-50 without issue filling either the DPS or healer role.

Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Saren View Post
I tried a Pyrotech spec in every beta build I've been in and have never been impressed. At the same time, I never really spent as much time with it as Arsenal or Bodyguard. If anyone could make the spec work, I guess I could. I just don't like the heavy reliance on a low percentage proc that only works with pistols. Every time I tried it, my DPS suffered by a good amount in warzones. Also, it's a terrible tree to try and hybridize. You either put very little into the tree or go all the way up.

Quote: Originally Posted by bobafetea View Post
Werdan, thanks so much for this awesome thread again! You really helped me with my build before the forum got wiped. My only question is why didn't you put this thread in our mercenary sub-forum
Brain fart. I was up late last night and early this morning to see if I could login (which I could). Add to that I'm fighting off a bug. Mea culpa. If a mod could move this thread over that would be much appreciated.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sdiego View Post
My question is im going to go merc which from the last thread you had going i tweaked your hybrid tree around and added some to dps, i was going for Main Dps/ Support healer.

But as you were going through flashpoints what were you used for? i want to be used for DPS and not mistaken for a healer, thats why my mind has been going back and forth from merc to IA sniper but after a couple vids and the constant spam of ambush and snipe lost my interest... So if you were to want to be used for DPS would you stick with your hybrid tree still or put more towards dps i think mine was 10/31/0
I was used as whatever was needed, although many times I did both DPS and heal together. I basically tried to play "my game". As you level you probably won't do much main healing due to how I place my points but a quick respec back and forth doesn't hurt. Just try and remember, there are no pure healers in the game. Let people know how you're specced and you should be OK.

I know if I take more DPS it's going to hurt my healing. 22-24 Bodyguard is the real sweet spot for healing as it leaves you enough room to hybridize. The very lowest I'd go is maybe 18-19 points (to get Critical Efficiency). This would allow me to get Arsenal Skills like Tracer Lock and Riddle. At this point though, I'd lose some survivability and group utility.
TRACE
THUNDERHIPS
ISHKA
BRUTALIZE

realtalent
12.13.2011 , 06:47 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by CanadaBran View Post
Which class skills do you recommend for a merc dps?
i would say that best choice for BH is

Slicing
Underworld Trading.

and you own choice of Cyber Tech or Armor Tech.

i prefere Cybertech for crafting "mounts" ship upgrades etc.

Here is the reason..

1st companion gives +5 Cyber Tech and +15 Slicing.
2nd gives +5 Slicing and +15 Underworld Trading
3rd gives +5 Armor Tech & +15 Slicing

thats a total of

+35 in Slicing.
+15 in Underworld Trading
+5 Cyber Tech
+5 Armor Tech.

(Not Sure About later Companions)

had a total of 6.5 mill Credits in beta at lvl 31 just by spamming Slicing & Spam Crafting of Speed Bikes.
"Everyone dies. It is the final and only lasting justice."

Innk
12.13.2011 , 07:05 PM | #26
Werdan thanks for reposting the topic! It was really useful back in the beta.

I need an opinion regarding crew skills.
Basically, I can't decide between Biochem and Cybertech.

I'm aiming the crew skills to PVP, even though I like high end PVE a lot. I believe either would be the best available skill for the situation, since i'll probably be able to suit up some nice gear from the PVE.

What would be better for PVP, the cool dmg/CC grenades or the medpacks/stims ?

Thanks!

Werdan
12.13.2011 , 07:19 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Innk View Post
Werdan thanks for reposting the topic! It was really useful back in the beta.

I need an opinion regarding crew skills.
Basically, I can't decide between Biochem and Cybertech.

I'm aiming the crew skills to PVP, even though I like high end PVE a lot. I believe either would be the best available skill for the situation, since i'll probably be able to suit up some nice gear from the PVE.

What would be better for PVP, the cool dmg/CC grenades or the medpacks/stims ?
Thanks!
I'm going bio right now, but damn those 'nades look good. So far my bio is only level 24 and the recipes look a little sparse. It's still early enough for me to drop it for Cybertech. I need to take a good hard look at the trainer when I get back in game tonight.
TRACE
THUNDERHIPS
ISHKA
BRUTALIZE

Innk
12.13.2011 , 07:36 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Werdan View Post
I'm going bio right now, but damn those 'nades look good. So far my bio is only level 24 and the recipes look a little sparse. It's still early enough for me to drop it for Cybertech. I need to take a good hard look at the trainer when I get back in game tonight.
Using darth hater as source, it looks like that by end game you'll be able to have basically an awesome, infinite, 5-6k healing medpac, alongside with your favorite stim and an adernal, both awesome and infinite as well. But then I think that is pretty much it.

The question is:
Based on your merc PVP experience, do you think these extra stats and having this OHCRAP healing button would be more effective than having grenades that will grant you more damage and CC options?

I know this question is a tricky one, sorry if its still to early for you to give a shot at it, :P

And thanks in advance!

Occupyeverything
12.13.2011 , 07:40 PM | #29
Thanks for these posts, they really are helpful and fun to read through for people like myself, yet to see any in game time. I was wondering what the difference in damage output between a full arsenal DPS spec, and this hybrid spec? I've always been a min/maxer, but I really like what you are saying about this spec you have been using. Thanks in advance!
"Something, something, dark side..."

GarmiMobar
12.13.2011 , 07:54 PM | #30
Hi all, and congratulations for this really extended guide. I've tried to check out the old thread posted now via GDocs but did not find response to my question, which I'm sure it's been already answered before...

Are the Bounty Hunters, either Powertechs or Mercenaries, able to kill players in "bounty hunting" missions? I come from SWG, and there you could try to get down other players accepting missions on a BH Mission Terminal, that was just cool. Is this feature implemented in SWTOR too? Also, if it is, Mercenaries are the right ones to go 1on1? I've already seen that it may be better an Assa or an Operative, but they cannot accept these type of Bounty Hunting missions, right?

Thanks!