Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Suggestion for future romance content in SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Suggestion for future romance content in SWTOR

markcymru
03.03.2013 , 07:25 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Lent_San View Post
Sometimes, with all the stuff we're seeing in game, it almost seems to me that our devs are most probably 99% male and do forget that there's also a female fanbase for this game, and a Bioware fanbase that likes the story content to be expanded upon.

Not saying that males don't enjoy romances, but it seems that romance is still largely viewed as "stuff for girls" and hence largely neglected in this game, development-wise. Which is a shame.
I does feel that way sometimes, doesn’t it ? Mind you, some male writers are clued in – I cite Dave the god, from BioWare Edmonton. I’m speculating, but I get the sense that it’s an uphill battle for those guys, which might be less so if there were more women on the team… especially if some of the women were calling some of the shots. Wouldn't I love to see someone like Tina Fey writing for SWTOR ! !

Sometimes playing this game simply feels a little stale. There's war, more war, some fights, a few flirts and war again.
Thank you for articulating this point ! To be sure, the current story lines do act to jazz up the endless war, war, fight, war quests, and make things more interesting than they would otherwise be. But so much more could be done to keep it changing up. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
“The comments on any article about feminism justify feminism.” — Lewis's Law

Lent_San
03.04.2013 , 05:19 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
Wouldn't I love to see someone like Tina Fey writing for SWTOR ! !
Thank you for articulating this point ! To be sure, the current story lines do act to jazz up the endless war, war, fight, war quests, and make things more interesting than they would otherwise be. But so much more could be done to keep it changing up. Variety is the spice of life, after all.
I realize there are female writers on the team, at least I know of one, but it feels like she was employed to "write for the ladies" and her Consular storyline is a little sappy and boring. No offense, please don't misunderstand, but a little more spunk for the girls in the game would be good.

It isn't even about the writing itself, but the game content gravitates heavily towards "guy stuff". David Gaider himself has bemoaned that game companies treat 47% of gamers (the percentage of female gamers) as "added bonus" and it seems BW Austin could take a page out of his book and learn from the guy. Too bad he's not on the SWTOR team. I really do like Hal Hood though. His female companions kick ***.

But back on topic. I do like SWTOR, but to be honest, in the quest, FP, WZ, OPs department, it has a lot in common with other MMOs. Some even feel nicer to play in this respect.

Story content and romance content in SWTOR is what would make me stick around though, as this is something that no other MMO has.

We just need some changes to make the existing content more worthwhile.

Zaxem
03.04.2013 , 05:21 AM | #23
i just want them to bring thana back if you didn't kill her on taris as a romance option in a new story arc i think that would be awesome
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.-Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me 55 Juggernaut55 Assassin 50 Sniper 55 Mercenary50 Guardian55 Marauder

AsheraII
03.04.2013 , 05:58 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaxem View Post
i just want them to bring thana back if you didn't kill her on taris as a romance option in a new story arc i think that would be awesome
If I could vote "awesome" for a single post in a thread, you would've gotten one! I sooo wanted her as a companion for my Chiss Agent, the Fire vs Ice conversations would've been awesome!
. . . . . . ¶▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##¯¯(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==¯¯¯¯¯|####/¯¯

DarthGile
03.21.2013 , 08:08 AM | #25
I know many people would like to opt out of their character's current relationships, since their companions became mutes for a year. Me? I'm sorry, but my character is head over heels for Kira and always will be. Laura Bailey did an incredible job at making Kira lovable, and I look forward to any future work for Kira's story/romance.

I think your ideas are pretty solid, especially with the implementation of SGR's. However I really hope there's still the possibility of the current romance companions (like Kira) to at least remain active and engaging if you refuse to leave them. After all, many of these companion romances conclude with marriage. Suddenly deciding to sideline them would be kind of a big deal.

Bioware might have buried themselves by getting well-known and busy VO actors and actresses. You really have to ask yourself how much EA is willing to spend on established celebs like Lacie Chalbert (Mako), Rachel Leigh Cook (Jaesa), or Steve Blum (Andronikus) post launch. I'm sure they had contracts which request future need of them (similar to the primary character VO actors), but money is money. These people won't work for free.

Lent_San
03.21.2013 , 09:23 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthGile View Post
I know many people would like to opt out of their character's current relationships, since their companions became mutes for a year. Me? I'm sorry, but my character is head over heels for Kira and always will be. Laura Bailey did an incredible job at making Kira lovable, and I look forward to any future work for Kira's story/romance.
I think your ideas are pretty solid, especially with the implementation of SGR's. However I really hope there's still the possibility of the current romance companions (like Kira) to at least remain active and engaging if you refuse to leave them. After all, many of these companion romances conclude with marriage. Suddenly deciding to sideline them would be kind of a big deal.
Bioware might have buried themselves by getting well-known and busy VO actors and actresses. You really have to ask yourself how much EA is willing to spend on established celebs like Lacie Chalbert (Mako), Rachel Leigh Cook (Jaesa), or Steve Blum (Andronikus) post launch. I'm sure they had contracts which request future need of them (similar to the primary character VO actors), but money is money. These people won't work for free.
I'd be down with an optional change to romance content, but seeing the current scarcity of any story updates or lack of willingness to make this game interesting for story players/RPGers, I'm not sure we'll be getting any romance updates anytime soon.

They're losing me right now.

stuffystuffs
03.21.2013 , 11:23 AM | #27
If they continue companion story stuff, I'd see no reason why you couldn't continue with Kira (or whoever else any of your characters like in that special way).

That's if. The first major story update is Makeb and there's nothing with companions in that....there's nothing indicating there will be honestly.

For current romances, IDK maybe they figure "hey, you already courted and are married or whatever so what more is there to do?" I wouldn't be surprised if they never added continuing story content for current companions.

DarthGile
03.21.2013 , 12:04 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
If they continue companion story stuff, I'd see no reason why you couldn't continue with Kira (or whoever else any of your characters like in that special way).

That's if. The first major story update is Makeb and there's nothing with companions in that....there's nothing indicating there will be honestly.

For current romances, IDK maybe they figure "hey, you already courted and are married or whatever so what more is there to do?" I wouldn't be surprised if they never added continuing story content for current companions.
Damion Schubert mentioned that he would like us to be able to acknowledged your romanced companions. Sometime after Makeb. He also mentions that companions will have things to say during Makeb quests, but not as common as 1-50. We'll see what happens. Schubert agrees that romanced companions shouldn't become mutes after the final conversation, and he wants to address that, so maybe we'll see something in the future. One could hope.

Source: SWTOR-RP Exclusive: Q&A with Damion Schubert & Charles Boyd

Lent_San
03.21.2013 , 12:50 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
That's what I was talking about. They need to speed up their story content implementation. Right now it seems they couldn't care less.

We know they know the continuation of romances is a major issue yet we never received any update on this.

It seems like this is at the bottom of their list right now which is weird, since this romance content thing used to be one of their things to boast about before the game was out.

stuffystuffs
03.21.2013 , 01:14 PM | #30
Damion Schubert mentioned that he would like us to be able to acknowledged your romanced companions. Sometime after Makeb. He also mentions that companions will have things to say during Makeb quests, but not as common as 1-50. We'll see what happens. Schubert agrees that romanced companions shouldn't become mutes after the final conversation, and he wants to address that, so maybe we'll see something in the future. One could hope.

Source: SWTOR-RP Exclusive: Q&A with Damion Schubert & Charles Boyd

I see, thanks!

Hopefully that means for non-romanced companions too. I didn't do any of the romances but would like to see stories continue for all of companions regardless (yeah, there's a lot of companions/classes but I can hope ).

That's what I was talking about. They need to speed up their story content implementation. Right now it seems they couldn't care less.
Even some details (non-spoilery) to keep us hopeful would be nice. But yeah, I'm hoping they have class story updates this year.