Suggestion for future romance content in SWTOR

Lent_San

I have gathered a few suggestions for the handling of future romance content in the game. :)

I know this is not a pressing issue for many of the players (;)), those who are more into the combat side of the game and not necessarily into the fluff and such, but I consider romance content to be part of story content (which I greatly care about) and helpful for immersion and would like to add my voice in support of further implementation of such content with maybe a few possible changes to consider, in case the writers are still thinking of working on more such content in the future.

People who have played and enjoyed romances with their companions in the game so far do expect those romances to continue in some shape or form as this would be the natural progression. Some, if not most of these romances are kind of hanging in the air right now though; they basically just stopped.

We had marriage proposals, hushed talk of the Jedi Code (Consular) and a few mails. That was it. Same can probably be said about the Empire side, which I haven’t really played yet. Same-gender romance players haven’t even had the option of having a romance for their chars yet. That, we heard, is gonna be changing with Makeb though.

I think most of us know that the way the existing romances in the game are put on hold poses quite a few problems for further development. It’s also difficult to get OGR and SGR on par, since OGR have had a much longer developing time, there’s more content overall.

The fate of the existing romances is largely depending on future story content, possibly even class content (Jedi Consular for instance) which makes it very hard to update these romances outside of class and larger story content updates. And we know that we have had to wait around a year now for new story content to come.

My suggestion is the following:

Separate the romance content from class and/or companion content, if not entirely, then optional.

That poses the need to give players the chance of breaking up with existing romances, but will make for easier updating in the future.

Makeb, of course, is largely finished, I’d imagine, but it shall stand as an *example* for future story content coming with new expansions or updates that may or may not provide more romance content. We’re only guessing here.

Example:

Smuggler A lands on *Makeb*, ready to witness the rise of the Hutt Cartel and all the ensuing mayhem. Insert whatever planet you like here, and whatever storyline that might still be coming.

When you enter *Makeb* for the first time, usually you start out by talking to a lot of people, get quests, get infos etc.

Now some of those NPCs you end up talking to would provide flirt options and your char may choose to respond, or may choose to ignore them.

Once you’re returning to the ship for the first time (or possibly a little later, whenever it fits) a cut scene with your current romance companion triggers (in case your char has already pursued a romance in the game). Your char's existing romance may worry about the state of the romance and suggest to break up.

Given your char agrees, said char may now officially pursue a romance with an NPC on *Makeb*. These romances would function as stand-alone, possibly long term romance options for those who’d like to pursue them. Current companions wouldn’t necessarily need to be altered this way, unless the writers still want to go down that path.

You get to flirt with those NPCs for starters. The flirt activates further conversation options but the flirt may also be cancelled and pursued with another NPC. There should be at least a few SGR and OGR options on *Makeb*, to make it more interesting.

Once your char actually asks the NPC out (or whatever the equivalent in a galaxy far, far away would be ;)), the romance is logged (text could trigger, like: “You really wanna ask me out? You thought about the implications?”… something like that).

Once in a while, while on *Makeb*, you stop by to have new conversations and once you're done with *Makeb*, the player should be able to decide whether the char should break up with that NPC or keep up the romance. If the romance is upheld, the char should once in a while find letters in the mail from that NPC, asking him/her to come see him/her.

You'd have to travel back to *Makeb* to have a conversation, a flirt, spend the night, the now infamous fade-to-black. Next day you're off again to save the galaxy, kind of like a long-distance relationship. There could be cutscenes, showing your character’s current companions react to your char’s return, like eye-rolling, joking, whatever.

These romances could be updated, together with patches - you'd find a letter in the mail after some extensive mob socking action on Planet XYZ and go back to *Makeb* to have a conversation, the romance evolves that way and is potentially infinite.

This romance NPC might even function as a quest giver for some fun little side quests, once in a while.

New expansions could always bring new romances, whatever pleases the writers here. These kinds of romances are easier to update than companion romances, since these NPCs are not (necessarily) deeply involved with the story and class content but maybe more on the periphery of things, say, a doctor on Ord Mantell, or a bar owner on Nar Shaddaa and so forth.

Now, if you ever implement proper housing (which I hope you guys will) make sure that’s on different planets, so the chars actually have a reason to travel and won’t have to stay in the ship for conversations which is kind of a silly idea anyway since there’s nothing much to do on a ship right now, other than space missions.

This is one of certainly many ideas out there of how to make the world of SWTOR a little richer and multi-variant. I know it’s reminding a little of the way the romances were dealt with in Bioware single-player-games, like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, but in an MMO context, this is actually quite do-able and should be fun, for those who enjoyed these kinds of things in those other games.

I know there are other things that people would like to see in SWTOR, many things we have heard already, like mini-games, Pazaak, events, hobbies, etc etc.

Well, this is my story-content suggestion and I hope you guys like it and may even consider trying that out, at one point in the future.

Edited by Lent_San
Title shortened

Having a continued NPC romance (or, an ally, for those not wanting to romance that individual) on a planet could help "overcome" the issues of obsolete planets.

You swing by, say, Alderaan for drinks with your friend/lover, they talk about how things are on Alderaan and you could get a mini quest chain in a new area. Open up the planet by having allies in other houses on other continents that you can visit and assist (or take advantage of their sumptuous bathing facilities), uncover new explorable areas, ancient ruins interesting to the Jedi and Sith, that sort of thing.

Would be interesting if, eventually, said NPC could become a companion on your ship, perhaps replacing another crew member. This could work particularly if you have a home base of sorts and you could send certain crew members to base to do things (like independent research to help the war effort, your class storyline, their personal storyline or random fun quests) and have a ship crew that's to hand when you're bouncing around the galaxy.

But that's getting a wee bit off topic.

Great idea but that would be a lot of work for BW and they are now focusing at Makeb and 1.7
Yeah, true, it's not something I would expect to see immediately. ;)

Having a continued NPC romance (or, an ally, for those not wanting to romance that individual) on a planet could help "overcome" the issues of obsolete planets.

You swing by, say, Alderaan for drinks with your friend/lover, they talk about how things are on Alderaan and you could get a mini quest chain in a new area. Open up the planet by having allies in other houses on other continents that you can visit and assist (or take advantage of their sumptuous bathing facilities), uncover new explorable areas, ancient ruins interesting to the Jedi and Sith, that sort of thing.

Would be interesting if, eventually, said NPC could become a companion on your ship, perhaps replacing another crew member. This could work particularly if you have a home base of sorts and you could send certain crew members to base to do things (like independent research to help the war effort, your class storyline, their personal storyline or random fun quests) and have a ship crew that's to hand when you're bouncing around the galaxy.

But that's getting a wee bit off topic.

I like that idea a lot though. :) It makes total sense and actually goes quite well with what I've suggested in the first post. Breathe more life into those other planets that way. I really really like it.

Edited by Lent_San

"Entering my ship with my Guardian"

Hey kira....you ar my wife now, wanna hang out....have something to say? Wanna speak?

Kira: ...........................

Me: My love?

Kira: .........................

My last 12 months xD

I like that idea a lot though. :) It makes total sense and actually goes quite well with what I've suggested in the first post. Breathe more life into those other planets that way. I really really like it.

The idea of a home base just makes me think of downtime in a P&P RPG: I don't know where the BBEG is, but look, I found a mine over-run hideous nightmare creatures and I can make a cannon that fires sunlight. Shall we?

Additionally to having a home base for 'storing' companions, a more in-depth version could have your companions temporarily or permanently leaving your service and parking themselves on a planet or joining a cause (like Torian going back to the Mandalorians or Kaliyo going... away.)

I like the idea of romanceable NPCs on planets. Quests could be added as well that trigger at certain levels or points for early planets. There's plenty of places they could add an instance, in this case an NPC instance instead of a class instance, where you can do a mission for the NPC love interest. It'd make the galaxy a more interesting place. And it could benefit your story in other ways, like an NPC could offer to help you uncover some secrets of the empire or so, regardless of the class.

This is a great suggestion !

It would probably allow Bioware to speed up the delivery of future content (although it would be nice to have SOME tweaking by class).

I'd like to see story arcs that are more intimate -- character/romance/relationship-driven adventures instead of 'politically' based as they are in the current game.

Rescuing the companion. Misunderstandings. Jealousy. Betrayal. Loyalty. It could all be worked in, in ways that have consequences for the story arc.

Arcs could be endlessly spun out over time (analogous to a TV series) or they could be more comparable to short stories or mini-series. Or a mixture.

Basically, I’d like to see romance graduate from being an incidental ‘flavouring’ aspect of the game to being a central theme for those who want to choose it.

And of course… there’d be plenty of SGR options ! ;)

I like the idea of romanceable NPCs on planets. Quests could be added as well that trigger at certain levels or points for early planets. There's plenty of places they could add an instance, in this case an NPC instance instead of a class instance, where you can do a mission for the NPC love interest. It'd make the galaxy a more interesting place. And it could benefit your story in other ways, like an NPC could offer to help you uncover some secrets of the empire or so, regardless of the class.

I really like the idea of having independent quest lines like that and the good thing is those could also be updated without having to wait for extensive story content updates. :)

This is a great suggestion !

It would probably allow Bioware to speed up the delivery of future content (although it would be nice to have SOME tweaking by class).

I'd like to see story arcs that are more intimate -- character/romance/relationship-driven adventures instead of 'politically' based as they are in the current game.

Rescuing the companion. Misunderstandings. Jealousy. Betrayal. Loyalty. It could all be worked in, in ways that have consequences for the story arc.

Arcs could be endlessly spun out over time (analogous to a TV series) or they could be more comparable to short stories or mini-series. Or a mixture.

Basically, I’d like to see romance graduate from being an incidental ‘flavouring’ aspect of the game to being a central theme for those who want to choose it.

And of course… there’d be plenty of SGR options ! ;)

I fully agree. As much as I like the political stuff, romance and emotions are actually great catalysts and could very well serve as basis for further quest content. I really think this would be a great addition to the current content. :)

• 1 month later...

Cross posting by request:

Full scripted romance NPCs (those that stay on planets as part of class storylines or outside of them) should be able to give players little mementos - like the beret mentioned above - as a reminder of them when you're saving or pillaging the galaxy. Having them be small bits of armour or weapons (like hats or guns) makes them something players are unlikely to easily forget or sell, unlike the companion gifts that you receive at the end of their romances, and makes the NPC and the romance something that carries more meaning.

Couple that with the possibility of weapon racks, armour mannequins or general personalised ships and you can get the sense of a much more unique play experience.

Yes this would be great as i'm still a little confused as to where i am with nadia, are we married, engaged??? Housing would be sweet as well, would also be a good opritunity for significant nps to stop by like Hollow Voice (i miss him from my ship, and he needs to become a companion!) just my 2 cents

I really love this suggestion. Reminds me of the red scarf and belt pouch that Fenris got to wear after he had entered the romance with my Hawke in Dragon Age.

Or, as we're talking about ship customizations, why not have a pic of your lover around the ship somewhere, like in your char's sleeping quarters. Mass Effect had that and I liked that a lot.

As quest reward you could get fun little items from your lover like a pot plant for the ship/house or a sexy pic of a Hutt in slave attire or someting like that. :p You know, little fun things that remind you the romance is alive and that you could use for decorating.

I'm really missing something like that in the current game.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been thinking about this thread for some time, and I think even more than ever that BW is missing the boat by not picking up Lent’s suggestion.

For one thing, it opens up a whole new area for story-content development, which doesn’t need to be multiplied 8 times to take care of all the classes.

Also, it adds a painless way to integrate SGRs – instead of wrestling with which of existing companions are to be eligible for SGRs, with all the debate that that entails and all the convolutions, BW could just create two new companions (one male and one female) who are eligible for both SGR and OGR. Or they could create more than two companions :) These companions could be quest-specific – the quests being romance-based quests, rather than ‘political’ as they all are now. In my view, these companions would be the only ones allowed for these quests, and that gives BW the possibility of creating a new set of abilities ( a romance-quest-specific class, if you like).

For my preference, the stories would revolve around personal issues and adventure. Supporting the companion in resolving a personal/family struggle, or vice versa. Working together to achieve a goal (à la Indiana Jones or Romancing the Stone). The two of you on the run together from criminals or the government or family (think Romeo and Juliet).

I would want BioWare to introduce real choice points, with real consequences for the adventure and for the romance.

The story could include rivals for the companion’s affection, or spite-mongers who try to derail the romance. I’m not a writer, but the possibilities seem endless.

And in case anyone is wondering… there’d still be lots of fighting (after all, sweeties have to be defended and rescued) (and people who insult one’s sweetie have to be duelled ! ) (and impediments to the quest have to be overcome)

And in case anyone is wondering… there’d still be lots of fighting (after all, sweeties have to be defended and rescued) (and people who insult one’s sweetie have to be duelled ! ) (and impediments to the quest have to be overcome)

Sweetie could also be doing the rescuing some of the time, even if it's that long-distance, evade-security, thrice-encrypted holo-call to the front lines of battle in the last hour before dawn. Life gets in the way - we are at war - you don't necessarily need the meddling governess or spiteful childhood friend.

(I still want to be able to SGRomance companions, but I'll have to agree that it seems that Bioware isn't going to do that.)

Yes, I can see lots of possibilities in a war-time romance. But I'd like to see the romance itself front and centre, rather than the war. For a change it would be nice to see the story arc be all about the relationship, rather than the romance just being stuck in inbetween quests.

I have to agree with both of you.

I do like the fact that they've put in romances in the first place, though I would have appreciated, had they implemented SGR from the start.

They could have done a lot more with the romances in general though, other than cramming in a few convos inbetween quests.

Sometimes, with all the stuff we're seeing in game, it almost seems to me that our devs are most probably 99% male and do forget that there's also a female fanbase for this game, and a Bioware fanbase that likes the story content to be expanded upon.

Not saying that males don't enjoy romances, but it seems that romance is still largely viewed as "stuff for girls" and hence largely neglected in this game, development-wise. Which is a shame.

I'd like questlines that are romance-based. I think markcymru really has a point here.

Sometimes playing this game simply feels a little stale. There's war, more war, some fights, a few flirts and war again. I kind of miss the vibe of other Bioware games where romance kind of used to be a recurring theme, something that was encompassing and complementing the main story line with cutscenes before or after main, important story focal points.

I wished they'd do more in this direction, with new or old companions and of course those NPCs we talked about earlier.

Sometimes, with all the stuff we're seeing in game, it almost seems to me that our devs are most probably 99% male and do forget that there's also a female fanbase for this game, and a Bioware fanbase that likes the story content to be expanded upon.

Not saying that males don't enjoy romances, but it seems that romance is still largely viewed as "stuff for girls" and hence largely neglected in this game, development-wise. Which is a shame.

I does feel that way sometimes, doesn’t it ? Mind you, some male writers are clued in – I cite Dave the god, from BioWare Edmonton. :cool: I’m speculating, but I get the sense that it’s an uphill battle for those guys, which might be less so if there were more women on the team… especially if some of the women were calling some of the shots. Wouldn't I love to see someone like Tina Fey writing for SWTOR ! !

Sometimes playing this game simply feels a little stale. There's war, more war, some fights, a few flirts and war again.

Thank you for articulating this point ! To be sure, the current story lines do act to jazz up the endless war, war, fight, war quests, and make things more interesting than they would otherwise be. But so much more could be done to keep it changing up. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

Wouldn't I love to see someone like Tina Fey writing for SWTOR ! !

Thank you for articulating this point ! To be sure, the current story lines do act to jazz up the endless war, war, fight, war quests, and make things more interesting than they would otherwise be. But so much more could be done to keep it changing up. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

I realize there are female writers on the team, at least I know of one, but it feels like she was employed to "write for the ladies" and her Consular storyline is a little sappy and boring. No offense, please don't misunderstand, but a little more spunk for the girls in the game would be good.

It isn't even about the writing itself, but the game content gravitates heavily towards "guy stuff". David Gaider himself has bemoaned that game companies treat 47% of gamers (the percentage of female gamers) as "added bonus" and it seems BW Austin could take a page out of his book and learn from the guy. Too bad he's not on the SWTOR team. I really do like Hal Hood though. His female companions kick ***.

But back on topic. I do like SWTOR, but to be honest, in the quest, FP, WZ, OPs department, it has a lot in common with other MMOs. Some even feel nicer to play in this respect.

Story content and romance content in SWTOR is what would make me stick around though, as this is something that no other MMO has.

We just need some changes to make the existing content more worthwhile. :)

i just want them to bring thana back if you didn't kill her on taris as a romance option in a new story arc i think that would be awesome

If I could vote "awesome" for a single post in a thread, you would've gotten one! I sooo wanted her as a companion for my Chiss Agent, the Fire vs Ice conversations would've been awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

I know many people would like to opt out of their character's current relationships, since their companions became mutes for a year. Me? I'm sorry, but my character is head over heels for Kira and always will be. Laura Bailey did an incredible job at making Kira lovable, and I look forward to any future work for Kira's story/romance.

I think your ideas are pretty solid, especially with the implementation of SGR's. However I really hope there's still the possibility of the current romance companions (like Kira) to at least remain active and engaging if you refuse to leave them. After all, many of these companion romances conclude with marriage. Suddenly deciding to sideline them would be kind of a big deal.

Bioware might have buried themselves by getting well-known and busy VO actors and actresses. You really have to ask yourself how much EA is willing to spend on established celebs like Lacie Chalbert (Mako), Rachel Leigh Cook (Jaesa), or Steve Blum (Andronikus) post launch. I'm sure they had contracts which request future need of them (similar to the primary character VO actors), but money is money. These people won't work for free.