Character Selection Sort Order

Woetoo

It seems to have been changed to be based on "last active date/time".

Yet it's an undocumented change in the patch notes.

I'd only just about got used to the old order.

Is there any chance we could get a configurable option for "Sort by: " Last Active/Name A-Z

Or better still, a "lock character selection list" option that would let us log into each of our characters in reverse order to set their positions within the list, then lock them permanently in that order.

Overall, it's a step in the right direction that probably works better if you have 8 characters or less. As someone with more than 8, it's added a slight frustration factor to finding characters that didn't previous occur. It feels like a somewhat well intentioned but ultimately clunky solution.

Edit: Nope. I can't imagine it being any easier with 8 or less characters. Just logging in one or two rarely used bank characters makes logging in to a frequently used character clunky. Previously I always knew where characters were.... now I appreciate it's not random... but it feels like it is.

This line intentionally left blank

Edited by Woetoo

As far as I know (I think I noticed this a few days ago) it's 'last character on top' and then 'the rest in A-Z order'.

Up till yesterday, that was how it worked, yes.

You pretty much always knew that characters beginning with "A" were near the top of the list and characters beginning with "W" probably we at the bottom (or on the 2nd page... or something). Except where they we're the last character logged in.

Sadly, as of today. That's no longer true.

Finding a character you recently logged out of is relatively easy if you just logged out. However, swapping between 3 or 4 character reasonably quickly or logging in after a few hours/days break makes it a bit of a treasure hunt.

I applaud the effort, just not the current implementation of it.

Edited by Woetoo

I love the new sort order.

I frequently play characters that were on the 2nd page and now it's so much nicer having the ones I play regularly on the front page.

I hated the fact that the character I've got holding a name for my eventual Cathar character always took up space on the first page even though I will never play that character until the new species is added so now that character has been dumped to page 2 and out of my way.

Edited by Rankyn

I frequently play characters that were on the 2nd page and now it's so much nicer having the ones I play regularly on the front page.

Yup. Me too. Although my list extends to 3 pages.

I think it's a great idea in theory.

In practice however, (in my opinion) it makes quickly logging into another character a moving target.

I first noticed the downsides when I logged into two semi-infrequently used bank characters today. After returning to the character selection screen I realised that it whilst previously I would have almost absolute certainty where I could find a character quickly... there were going to be occasions where it would be less than obvious.

I'd be interested if you're still a fan of the change in a couple of days when you've had to check the character list multiple times looking for the character you wanted.

Maybe it's just me, I like the intent of the change - I just want to make finding a character more predictable.

I hated the fact that the character I've got holding a name for my eventual Cathar character always took up space on the first page even though I will never play that character until the new species is added so now that character has been dumped to page 2 and out of my way.

Likewise. I too had characters like that (not reserved for Cathar though). And there are characters that could spend 99% of the their time on page 2... except I don't have characters I never use, so sometimes they won't be. And it's that "sometimes they will, sometimes they won't" that makes me think this could do with a little more dev time.

Yup. Me too. Although my list extends to 3 pages.

I think it's a great idea in theory.

In practice however, (in my opinion) it makes quickly logging into another character a moving target.

I first noticed the downsides when I logged into two semi-infrequently used bank characters today. After returning to the character selection screen I realised that it whilst previously I would have almost absolute certainty where I could find a character quickly... there were going to be occasions where it would be less than obvious.

I'd be interested if you're still a fan of the change in a couple of days when you've had to check the character list multiple times looking for the character you wanted.

Maybe it's just me, I like the intent of the change - I just want to make finding a character more predictable.

Likewise. I too had characters like that (not reserved for Cathar though). And there are characters that could spend 99% of the their time on page 2... except I don't have characters I never use, so sometimes they won't be. And it's that "sometimes they will, sometimes they won't" that makes me think this could do with a little more dev time.

This. 1000 times this.

In theory, it's helpful having the most recently played on top in descending order, but that means the order will constantly be changing for those of us that switch in and out of various characters throughout a session.

I mean, I have four 50s on one server and I use them all pretty regularly. Plus several alts that I bounce between. Before, I knew exactly where to find each toon. Now, I'll have to search around to find the one I want, since the order will constantly be changing.

This is one of those changes that looks good on paper but in reality just makes character selection a real pain because it becomes hard to predict where any given character (other than the last one you played) will appear on your list. It's bad enough if you have only one page of characters but it must quickly become an unholy mess once you have multiple pages.

Also is it just me or is the addition of all the ">" buttons and the "PLAY" buttons beside the characters really ugly and completely redundant? As if people have never heard of the concept of double-clicking and need a button for every character just to spell it out to them!

Edited by Sunjammer