Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Phantom and Spymaster gear changes
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tatile
01.09.2013 , 01:05 PM | #851
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

In short: we'll fix this. Give us a little time to do so.

Damion Schubert
Lead Designer, SWTOR
If we had more communication like this, a lot of the fallout of problems could be generally avoided.

As to discussing the fix(es) - there have already been suggestions about having a vendor who can exchange the "corrected" version of the gear into the "incorrect" version of the gear, using the gear piece in question as a token. Will that be part of your meeting?

Aragorrius
01.09.2013 , 01:06 PM | #852
Let me just say that I am SUPER HAPPY that the Phantom, Spymaster & Trailblazer Gear is finally looking as it was Intended!

Anyone could have known this was coming so I hope devs won't listen to the endless whine of people who didn't pay attention and will change it back to the crappy way it looked before.

It looks AWESOME now.
Guild - Floor Inspectors // Server: Tomb of Freedon Nadd //
55 Marauder - Aragorias // // 55 Operative - Supersail // 55 Juggernaut - Sazed // 55 Assassin - Jennyfred // 55 Chiss Merc - Aragorius // 45 Mirialan Sith Sorc - Fredo'Paawn etc

Tatile
01.09.2013 , 01:10 PM | #853
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragorrius View Post
Anyone could have known this was coming so I hope devs won't listen to the endless whine of people who didn't pay attention and will change it back to the crappy way it looked before.

It looks AWESOME now.
What about if the add a new item which has the old, "incorrect" look, for people who like it and the current Phantom set gets to stay all frilly and glowy, does that work?

cashogy
01.09.2013 , 01:14 PM | #854
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
What about if the add a new item which has the old, "incorrect" look, for people who like it and the current Phantom set gets to stay all frilly and glowy, does that work?
this is just a massive temper-tantrum.

everything is subject to change in MMOs. you agree to that fact when you accepted the TOS.

LetoAtreidesII
01.09.2013 , 01:16 PM | #855
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

In short: we'll fix this. Give us a little time to do so.

Damion Schubert
Lead Designer, SWTOR
If you're looking for ideas, here's one that may satisfy everyone. For each armor set that received a revision, create two different armor sets, or versions. One set, or version, has the old appearance. The other set has the new appearance. Convert the existing armor into tokens that can be traded for one set or the other. Problem solved.

Tatile
01.09.2013 , 01:20 PM | #856
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
this is just a massive temper-tantrum.

everything is subject to change in MMOs. you agree to that fact when you accepted the TOS.
I thought it was a reasonable compromise :/

AsheraII
01.09.2013 , 01:36 PM | #857
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
Some of you need to cut Joveth a break. He's got very little of the information at a given time.

Damion comes in, having ALL of the information, and this is why he looks like a first class communicator. For a Dev - he is...but if you switched the two people into each other's roles...the same people piling on Joveth would be piling on Damion.

I, for one, appreciate Joveth's efforts to get into the fray early. It's not without risks but for me its better then silent mode.
Very true, and I'd say: don't shoot the messenger. If I were Joveth, I'd probably have been cursing left and right the past 24 hours. Having to deal with a bunch of VERY unsatisfied customers on one side, and getting different answers about the matter from the other side. And now that someone finally made a decision to try and solve the matter in an as acceptable manner as possible to all those affected, he doesn't even get to bring the good news.

So yes, Joveth, I'm sorry for laying the fire on your heals the past day, and my apologies for those who are even worse than I am and almost get personal on this matter. You got cornered, but then, so did we all. Even the development team got stuck in a corner, since solutions to keep as many customers satisfied as possible are going to take resources. Resources they had wished to use on other matters as well, though I hope not too much damage is done in that regard.

But, I hope you're not going to hate your job over this, since you did try your best to sort this out as soon as it came up. And while it can be fun at times, every job comes with its own frustrations. This was definitely a frstrating risk you run on your job. So let's just hope it won't happen again.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

RenegadeClone
01.09.2013 , 01:37 PM | #858
What about sets that have been augmented? Will we be compensated for the lost credits. I augmented all my old Spymaster chest pieces with MK-6 kits at great expense. The new design is horrible for my character - can I assume I will be compensated for the augments if a exchange program / vendor is introduced?

Kierman
01.09.2013 , 01:37 PM | #859
I get told all the time if I have something to say, I should say it here... so here I go:

Why have certain items that have existed in the game for a little while suddenly been changed???

For instance, the Phantom Armor chest piece... Why does it now have the same ruffled shoulders the Revan top has? Why add shoulders to it at all?? One of the reasons I liked it was because it was a hoodless top, black, no fancy WoW shoulder stuff etc. It was a nice simple plain 'casual' top if you like. Now, might as well wear Revan's.. or at least do us body type 3's a favour and make the Revan mask not clip with the new hood.

The Trailblazer top. What a great, casual Scoundrel or BH top. Not all armored up, so decent for Rp, or just to look laid back. Instead, today I find it has a new shoulder piece... for what??? And an enlarged collar. It's ugly compared to what it was. Annoying that I spent time/cash to get it AS IT WAS.

There are other items too, but I'm sure people know what I'm talking about. Even the Spymaster stuff has been played with... Although I actually don't -mind- that, it's still enough to make me go meh.

Lastly, not fair to rant without at least giving a possible solution... and to me it's simple. Instead of being lazy, imho, add them as NEW items... perhaps Enhanced Phantom Armor etc. And don't mess with items people have spent time getting things to match with. And, on that note.. lease stop jsut colouring exiting Speeders and passing them off as 'new' in CC packs that people pay real cash for. Enough is being made from this little enterprise that I would think a little more creativity could be added.

Anyway.. as a subbie, and someone who's spent more than my fair share on CC's and such, I felt I had the right to speak my mind. So I have.

Kierman
I pointed out to you the stars, and all you saw was the tip of my finger.

Asuka
01.09.2013 , 01:41 PM | #860
Quote: Originally Posted by Kierman View Post
I get told all the time if I have something to say, I should say it here... so here I go:

Why have certain items that have existed in the game for a little while suddenly been changed???

For instance, the Phantom Armor chest piece... Why does it now have the same ruffled shoulders the Revan top has? Why add shoulders to it at all?? One of the reasons I liked it was because it was a hoodless top, black, no fancy WoW shoulder stuff etc. It was a nice simple plain 'casual' top if you like. Now, might as well wear Revan's.. or at least do us body type 3's a favour and make the Revan mask not clip with the new hood.

The Trailblazer top. What a great, casual Scoundrel or BH top. Not all armored up, so decent for Rp, or just to look laid back. Instead, today I find it has a new shoulder piece... for what??? And an enlarged collar. It's ugly compared to what it was. Annoying that I spent time/cash to get it AS IT WAS.

There are other items too, but I'm sure people know what I'm talking about. Even the Spymaster stuff has been played with... Although I actually don't -mind- that, it's still enough to make me go meh.

Lastly, not fair to rant without at least giving a possible solution... and to me it's simple. Instead of being lazy, imho, add them as NEW items... perhaps Enhanced Phantom Armor etc. And don't mess with items people have spent time getting things to match with. And, on that note.. lease stop jsut colouring exiting Speeders and passing them off as 'new' in CC packs that people pay real cash for. Enough is being made from this little enterprise that I would think a little more creativity could be added.

Anyway.. as a subbie, and someone who's spent more than my fair share on CC's and such, I felt I had the right to speak my mind. So I have.

Kierman
They weren't changed, they were corrected to match what was advertised because they were implemented incorrectly in the first place as stated on 12/12/12,.