Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Phantom and Spymaster gear changes
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Prettyevilish's Avatar


Prettyevilish
01.08.2013 , 01:58 PM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
Link: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...50#edit5569050

That post was made on December 12 / 2012 -- almost a month ago. The dev tracker is easily accessible so there really isn't an excuse for ignorance.

Players were warned. They didn't heed it.

What I will give you, tho, is I would like to see some sort of compensation for purchases made before the post went up. But that's as far as I'll go.
I clearly stated the forum does not count as an appropriate announcement and provided FACTS for why that does not count as an announcement to the general gaming population. A VERY SMALL MINORITY of players look at the forum for the game they play. An even smaller minority are likely to visit the dev tracker instead of just hopping to the forum they normally go to (PVPers come to mind as well as the story writers).

It's not that players didn't heed it, it's that players were not PROPERLY warned. There is a VERY GOOD reason that the announcement bout speeder piloting was put prominently on the game launcher - it's a place that EVERYONE sees before logging into the game.

That someone does not trawl the forum constantly - such as you apparently do - does not make their money less meaningful for purchases.

bjbm's Avatar


bjbm
01.08.2013 , 01:59 PM | #202
BW please fire the whole art department. Your design team is absolutely horrrid. In case you are wondering, NO we don't need skyscrapper size shoulder pads on all armor pieces.

This change is just plain HORRIBLE. Seems like you really are GOING OUT OF YOUR WAY to generate as much hate and contempt for this game as you possibly can.

Andronicos's Avatar


Andronicos
01.08.2013 , 02:01 PM | #203
This is really bad form for BW, as a seller the last thing you want to do is change something from under a customer's feet after it was bought, I hope that the intended design was for the sets changed to be so from now on, while their old versions where meant to stay in their respective looks so to not antagonize all of the people that bought them, but this change was somehow bugged (hopefully this is it)

As for the advertising cartel store depictions there are three things you need to keep in mind, the first one is that advertising pictures are always loose representations so should never be looked at too closely, one should always "sample" the goods as much as possible before buying anything ( I learned this when I was a teenager, I'm quite surprised some folks have still not figured this out), this sampling is done in TOR through the preview window, so it's quite logical to assume that people went and previewed the items and then thought than that was the official look, a fact supported by the Icons of the items which accurately represent the original "preview window" versions.

The second one is that the Trailblazer set which has NO advertising images anywhere in the Cartel Store was changed as well for reasons I can't figure out.

And third if we want to apply the "items need to be as in the cartel store image" logic to the Revan set then clearly the original ring-less version should not be changed since it is clearly advertised in the cartel pack image as without rings.

Really though if BW thought the Phantom, Spymaster and other such sets where not being shown as intended then they should have pulled them from the store ASAP, then fix them and re-release with it's proper look, what should not have been done is to let them linger in the store for months so that a considerable number of people buys it based on their actual looks, and THEN decide to retroactively change it, this can't possibly have been the intention.
Darth Vaelren - Dark Lord of the Sith
Captain Galryn Zaris - Just a man making his way on the galaxy
Agent Keldran Reus - "Corellian ale, shaken not stirred"

Pscyon's Avatar


Pscyon
01.08.2013 , 02:01 PM | #204
I remember the patcher having a warning about Legacy Speeder Piloting 1 not being account-wide, as was advertised in the cartel market. Any similar situations should warrant the same warning. Now I -did- know about the changes -a bit- before they arrived because I sometimes read the forums. However, as correctly stated by others, a lot of people don't and never will. When real money is involved, as it was with the speeder piloting thing, the correct thing is putting a warning out where everyone can see it.
Sith Sorcerer

Magnusheart's Avatar


Magnusheart
01.08.2013 , 02:01 PM | #205
Update: C.S. Joveth even says it should appear like the promos

Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi folks,

Thanks very much for reporting this to us. We apologize for the mistake and we're working to fix this in an upcoming patch. The gear should look like the way they appear in the promos.

Thank you for your patience with this!
And just very recently.
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
All right folks, I talked to our developers and got some clarification:
  • The Revan outfit was adjusted to look more like Revan’s armor in the game.
  • The Spymaster and the Phantom outfits were both adjusted to look more like their advertised appearance in the Cartel Market, after we received more than a few remarks about this dissimilarity. This is to ensure that customers receive the advertised appearance.
  • Currently, the Stylish Dancer’s outfit is advertised as being white, but it should be red, as it appears when you preview the item. This will be adjusted for a future patch.
We apologize for any inconvenience. In the future, we will ensure that all assets are in alignment on the Cartel Market. The final products are meant to look like the advertised art.

------------------------------------------------ Update ending

The Phantom set is, as and was ALWAYS Based as an inquisitor ROBE.


Crime Lord Pack gave an orange moddable set for Smugglers and Agents
Blockade Runner gave INQUSITORS and Consulars
Skip Tracer gave Knights and Warriors
Space Pirate will give Troopers and Bounty Hunters




Phantom set was to be as it looks on the advertisment, and I'll be damned if me, or the hundreds who wanted it fixed and have begged for it for 3 weeks will be ignored on our long plight.

Its not built to be a stealthy all black scubby ninja shirt. It was a Robe, why does no many people not understand this? You are complaining it looks like a robe now BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IT IS. Seriously, this is frustrating. You guys put this on a Smuggler or a Agent or whoever thats your issue for putting a robe on that character and expecting it to magically transform to what you wish it to be.

It is plain and simple.

"All of the armor made for the cartel market were NOT quality checked by bioware, They did not notice or realize their error until the big obvious missing components on the Blockade Set. The items were ALL FIXED TO WHAT THEY WERE ORIGINALLY SPECIFIED TO LOOK LIKE."

Look closely at the Crime Lord Pack, The Spymaster set is now exactly as it is advertised, Eye Scanner on the helmet and all.


I don't really care if this thread gets flamed on because they think I am wrong, when I am putting logic into this. Not to mention it was listed in the known bugs for the longest time.


Besides Revan's Lower Robe default color being brown as a bug, and The Chestpeice having a 2nd hood mesh on the back. Everything is what it was supposed to be.

It does not need to be turned back. I can call out False Advertising with a legal right for a refund if it gets changed back, me and hundreds of others who have complained in the CS thread since December wanting this to be the way it was supposed to be.


Quote from all the people on the forums saying it wasnt explained enough on the forums.

Quote:
This is the same argument as:

"Sorry officer, I didn't know about the driving change the city passed. I was too busy driving to read the new legislation."

It doesn't matter what percentage of people visit the forums. If they put it on the launcher do you think people would read it? Probably not; people as a rule don't read notices. Should they annoy people in-game with a plethora of pop-ups every time the developers comment on something? Outside of the obvious displeasure that would cause, people still wouldn't read it.

This is how the real world works. Announcements are made on websites, notice boards, or whatever else. They're not shoved in your face. It is your responsibility to go out there and read the information. My work sends out important notices to e-mail. If I decide not to read it, that's on me and I face the consequences for it. Similiarily, BioWare posted a notice in an easily accessible space on their website. If you don't read it, it's on you.

edit: As another poster pointed out, they also published this on Known Issues on their customer service board. So it was in two places. Ignorance is not an excuse.
Quote: Originally Posted by jupezz View Post
Wrong. You didn't take the precaution of reflecting the situation. That doesn't mean that you're wrong or at fault but anyone who bought this stuff should of known that there was a big chance that it would eventually be changed.

As said, it sucks that these items were released "wrong"-looking but you simply can't blame BW for addressing the issue as a lot of players have been complaining about the sets not looking like they do in the pictures.
I didn't buy the Phantom set for that very reason.
Quote: Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Phantom was implemented incorrectly to begin with. Did you actually think that Bioware wouldn't change it to what they actually advertised? False advertising is what would have been if they left it without matching the pictures on the cartel pack.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
The images of content and armor on the cartel packs are in-game images, not some graphic cartoon hand-made drawing of an artist's "representation".

Get over it. The in-game was finally fixed to appear as intended.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
You're trying to make this really really difficult, aren't you?

They have been fixed so they are as advertised on the cartel pack stock photos.

The in-game "Preview" function only showed the broken version, not the intended stock photo version.

Wrap your head around it.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
I get the feeling I'm one of the few who likes the updated look. I went ahead and finally bought the preceptor and phantom sets.

We are also seeing a gross overreaction.

We were told weeks ago that the actual items did not match the advertised pictures on the Cartel Market. So we all knew that this was going to happen.

So we really shouldn't be all that upset. You bought it after you were warned it was going to be changed.
Quote: Originally Posted by Terro_Fett View Post
When the Blockade Runner pack first came out and I saw the advertised image for the Phantom Set I got super excited. The original advertised image can be seen here: http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7459694_f260.jpg

I spent CC's on those packs and got myself damn near the full set (minus the helm). Imagine my disappointment when the set I received did not match the advertised image: http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...et-2_thumb.jpg

Thank you Bioware for fixing this! I now have the armor set I paid for!


http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...se+advertising

Mavery's Avatar


Mavery
01.08.2013 , 02:02 PM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by Prettyevilish View Post
I clearly stated the forum does not count as an appropriate announcement and provided FACTS for why that does not count as an announcement to the general gaming population. A VERY SMALL MINORITY of players look at the forum for the game they play. An even smaller minority are likely to visit the dev tracker instead of just hopping to the forum they normally go to (PVPers come to mind as well as the story writers).

It's not that players didn't heed it, it's that players were not PROPERLY warned. There is a VERY GOOD reason that the announcement bout speeder piloting was put prominently on the game launcher - it's a place that EVERYONE sees before logging into the game.

That someone does not trawl the forum constantly - such as you apparently do - does not make their money less meaningful for purchases.
Look at my post history. You don't see 10 million posts. I don't post on the forums as often as you insinuate.

On the main community page there is a link to the dev tracker. This will only show you posts from community reps and developers on forums that are not customer service. I check this every few days. It takes less than a minute to get caught up on every post a developer makes. I do this to see about upcoming content, bugs, glitches, or whatever else.

If there wasn't a dev tracker, you have a valid argument. But when it takes less than 60 seconds, but more like 30 seconds, to see what's going on, then no, the onus is on the players, not the developers.

Karaiblis's Avatar


Karaiblis
01.08.2013 , 02:03 PM | #207
Quote: Originally Posted by Saitada View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't spend my days reading every little bit of information on the forums. I actually spend my days working, and my leisure time playing the game. I purchased certain outfits based on their look IN GAME at the time of purchase. I spent real money for those specific looks. Not for the current ugly crap they have on after this change.

I am rarely on the forums. The vast majority of players are rarely (if ever) on the forums.

What I really don't get though is BW's insistence on producing some of the most god awful ugly armor in the MMO world. They had made some good looking armor, and then ruin it by making horrid changes that make your characters look like they have a third **** growing out of their chests or are trying to sprout wings off their shoulders and fly away. Seriously... beyond ugly and frankly whoever designed those looks, needs to be fired because they couldn't design a good looking piece of armor if their life depended on it, w/o messing it up.

I've seen some fugly armor in games, don't get me wrong, but I have NEVER sen a game that is so consistent with the fugly armor as I have with this game. It makes it very difficult to mix/match to get gear that LOOKS good and when you do they turn around and fugly it up on you again.
They just can't seem to help themselves. They make something halfway decent and then cant keep their hands off it. So we have weird leather bibs comming out of the neck on the cloth robes, metal **** cups over the metal geared robes that look like we needed breast spitoons on our armor to drool into, twenty different antennae designes sticking out of our back, and huge spikey chevrons over our chest that would make a rodeo winners belt buckle blush on elegant loungewear + color clones... Just someone take that desiner and stop them from screwing up almost ever piece of gear they put in game before they start adding little pieces of poo to things that are just fine.
Passion Strength Power Victory Freedom
Kovrai · Ebon Hawk · Rysari

AsheraII's Avatar


AsheraII
01.08.2013 , 02:04 PM | #208
Obviously, the advertisements were wrong, and not based on the final designs of the items. The advertisements should be fixed and the items reverted to the state they were released in.
. . . . . . ¶▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##¯¯(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==¯¯¯¯¯|####/¯¯

Magnusheart's Avatar


Magnusheart
01.08.2013 , 02:05 PM | #209
So sure about that? Guess which was finalized first, the item or the picture. And keep in mind it was added to the list of known bugs they were not as advertised.

TheSkate's Avatar


TheSkate
01.08.2013 , 02:05 PM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
Phantom was implemented incorrectly to begin with. Did you actually think that Bioware wouldn't change it to what they actually advertised? False advertising is what would have been if they left it without matching the pictures on the cartel pack.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
You're trying to make this really really difficult, aren't you?
They have been fixed so they are as advertised on the cartel pack stock photos.
The in-game "Preview" function only showed the broken version, not the intended stock photo version.
Wrap your head around it.
Considering the "picture" on the cartel pack is a concept drawing and not an in-game graphic any difference between the two could be written off. The in-game preview shows you exactly what the item looks like on your character and purchasing an item based on that preview and having it look different is more of a false advertising issue than your concept art differences.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanctioned View Post
The images of content and armor on the cartel packs are in-game images, not some graphic cartoon hand-made drawing of an artist's "representation".
Um, no. That is EXACTLY what it is, hand drawn concept art. If it was in-game images it would have looked like the ones that actually came in the pack.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
We were told weeks ago that the actual items did not match the advertised pictures on the Cartel Market. So we all knew that this was going to happen.
So we really shouldn't be all that upset. You bought it after you were warned it was going to be changed.
Link: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...50#edit5569050
That post was made on December 12 / 2012 -- almost a month ago. The dev tracker is easily accessible so there really isn't an excuse for ignorance.
Players were warned. They didn't heed it.
No,"WE" weren't told about this otherwise thousands of phantom chests would not have sold for several hundred thousand credits on the GTN. No one knew of any changes coming to this piece except those reading every entry in a specific forum out of the thousands and thousands of forums
Quote: Originally Posted by Prettyevilish View Post
Did the ad have a big sign over the puffy outfit that said "Phantom Chestpiece!" that I missed? Because last I looked those splash adverts just showed some pictures.
I had absolutely no reason to believe that the chest I received was one of the ones in the picture. Not all of the items in the pack make it into the advert picture. I assumed that was one of them and that ugly puffy robe was something else.
Here, here. There was nothing to indicate that the cool looking phantom chest piece that you and I loved and equipped was "supposed" to look like that puffy necked, shoulder padded black robe.
"Blah blah blah, yackity smackity, and a nice cold glass of orange juice"
Hugh Tasmanian Devil