Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Phantom and Spymaster gear changes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Phantom and Spymaster gear changes
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Taorus
01.10.2013 , 01:01 PM | #1011
Quote: Originally Posted by DogEyedBoy View Post
I'm not whining, but there seems to be a small group of people within this thread offended by the fact that BioWare are going to offer a solution to both parties. I know, crazy right; it's like they are ashamed they have bad taste.
I didn't see anyone who thought that BioWare offering a solution to both parties as being offended.

Twin
01.10.2013 , 01:10 PM | #1012
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

In short: we'll fix this. Give us a little time to do so.

Damion Schubert
Lead Designer, SWTOR
This issue doesnt effect me at all, but i wanted to say im impressed and delighted to see such a honest and straightforward post from you devs. Keep that up in all areas!

As a pvper since launch i've been disappointed several times by the management of this game, and lost quite a bit of faith, but this just won you back a chunk of my trust!
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy
Assassin | Sorcerer | Marauder | Sniper | Mercenary
"You should never trust quotes you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

Ryvenn
01.10.2013 , 01:27 PM | #1013
Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters...

were this true, you'd have implemented appearance slots (or similar) on day 1 of launch.

second, you'd take genuine interest in customer feedback and respond accordingly... not as you see fit.

Quite obviously by this debacle regarding spymaster and phantom gear appearances, you have genuine, unbridled opinions, wants and desires of what players... your customers would like to see in game. Question is, will you respond in kind and address the situation accordingly, making every attempt to do what's right by meeting the needs and desires of the customers with regard to this issue? The solution is elementary at best: offer two versions of each type and allow the players to choose which one they want. Some of us like the minimalist version of each. others prefer the gaudy versions. It would take less than no effort to offer both to those who have the items already. I say this because both designs already exist. it's just a matter of renaming one of the sets to accommodate the alternate appearance.

the failure / refusal to implement appearance slots though is just bad planning. nothing more. nothing less. If it's something you intend to do in the future, Great! it should have been done day 1 though. there's really no excuse for it except, "I wanted it this way and if you dont like it, go play something else. it's my ball and i will take it if you dont want to play by my rules." Every MMO i've been involved with from 1999 to the present has offered some way of TRULY customizing the appearance of your gear without sacrificing for that look.. unlike swtor. I've foregone set bonuses in order to maintain the look i have created for my toons. Rather than go with the garbage look of the sets just to get the bonuses. I get compliments EVERY DAY on my toon's look. EQ1, a game which is almost a decade and a half old even offered the option to reskin your gear so you make it look how you want. EQ2 and Rift have appearance slots. Aion allows for item reskinning. I've not infected my computer with the digital HIV that is wow, so i couldnt tell you what it offers.

Bottomline, you've heard LOUD AND CLEAR what the players want. the question is, will you genuinely do something in response or just blow it off like so many other things? At one point on patch day, you specifically stated that the phantom and spymaster gear would be returned to its previous state. im guessing that was a lie (or however you want to spin it so it doesn't sound so bad as to call it a lie), because that statement is no longer to be found.

the ball is in your "caring" court DamionSchubert.
"There is no greater misery than to remember with bitter regret, a time when you were most happy." - Anakin Skywalker

Pscyon
01.10.2013 , 01:46 PM | #1014
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
As a pvper since launch i've been disappointed several times by the management of this game, and lost quite a bit of faith, but this just won you back a chunk of my trust!
Wow. That's... that's unusual. Usually PvPers go all "rarrr, why'd you do something for these guys but not us?". Which is understandable but also gets old. Hat off to you sir. Don't see too many people being happy on others' behalf here, or being gracious in general.
Sith Sorcerer

Devlonir
01.10.2013 , 02:06 PM | #1015
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryvenn View Post
were this true, you'd have implemented appearance slots (or similar) on day 1 of launch.
Nope, they made most gear moddable so they don't need appearance slots and make the appearance of your character more involving than "dropping an item I don't use into an apperance slot"

They made a decision on this a long time ago, and they won't implement appearance slots (the worst cop-out in gear customization ever designed for MMO's) just because a very small group of people will constantly keep whining about it.
I personally applaud this game for adding moddable gear and trying something different in this game.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

Suzina
01.10.2013 , 02:20 PM | #1016
Hey, guys --

We care a lot about the fact that you care about the appearances of your characters. In fact, the Mod system is my baby, largely because it allows players to customize their appearance to your liking. We have another, similar, one of my babies coming in the near future, which will allow even greater customization (you guys may have seen me hinted about it in recent interviews). Short form: this is real important to me, and we're not happy that we've created a situation that makes people unhappy. We didn't think through the ramifications of the bugfix that we've made, and we're acutely aware of the financial angle (cartel coins as well as in-game credits on the GTN) involved.

We are still discussing potential fixes to the issue -- and there will be fixes -- but there are ramifications to all fixes. Players should keep in mind that previously, we had players who were upset in the other direction. We have a couple of directions that we can go, but we need to explore a couple of things, and regardless, it is not a fix that can happen instantaneously. I do think we can get something in a patch very soon.

We are pretty sure we can avoid a solution that forces players to spend additional cartel coins, and I'm not interested in letting a situation linger that leaves the player's faith in what we are offering on the cartel market in a reduced state. It is incredibly important to me, and the rest of the SW:TOR team, that players have a high degree of confidence in the market as a whole, and how we deal with issues like this. This has been a learning experience for us, and won't happen again.

In short: we'll fix this. Give us a little time to do so.

Damion Schubert
Lead Designer, SWTOR
This post feels honest. It does not feel like "PR crap". A PR statement would never say "We didn't think through the ramifications..." I like honest communication from developers. So Thank you Damion Schubert for the update on this issue..
Member of Bane Fleet

ClockworkSoldier
01.10.2013 , 02:29 PM | #1017
This top now looks sooo good THANK YOU Bioware for this change i now attually look like a Sith rather than a tree!

All those that want a cat suit... go play hello kitty online, you will fit right in!

iamthehoyden
01.10.2013 , 02:50 PM | #1018
Quote: Originally Posted by ClockworkSoldier View Post
This top now looks sooo good THANK YOU Bioware for this change i now attually look like a Sith rather than a tree!

All those that want a cat suit... go play hello kitty online, you will fit right in!
People have different tastes. No need to insult them.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

ClockworkSoldier
01.10.2013 , 03:03 PM | #1019
Im sith, I'm just making them stronger... Give in to your hatred give in to the darkside!

Xylas_Khel
01.10.2013 , 03:08 PM | #1020
i much prefer this new one, the old one was generic under par and somewhat bland not what you would expect from an item from a bag. And yes i atleast can look like a proper sith.