Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ability to use @global handles

Master_Nate
01.07.2013 , 04:43 PM | #1
I have limited MMO experience but the one game I did play, back in 2005, had this feature that this game lacks and I think would make for a better interaction amongst the community.

We currently only have a "friends" list and an "ignore" list given to us as options but what I would suggest and like to see are "@global" handles added as well. What I mean by "@global" handle is for every account to create one that is unique, like I originally thought legacy would be, and then it is set in stone. I can add "Pete the Sith" to my friends list but if "Pete the SIth" signs on another toon even in the same faction I have no clue.

An @global handle would allow me to keep track of Pete and all of his toons whereabouts and what he is doing no matter what faction he is on or even what server he is on. The way the game featured this was that both characters had to agree upon adding each other to this specific friends list. Meaning, you can't just add someone and stalk them...the person has to be willing to add you and allow you access to their other toons names.

This could also work in the same since as an @global ignore. Rather than filling up your ignore list with one guy, who may have multiple toons, it would be nice to just @global ignore them to avoid any interaction with them whatsoever, besides the rules you have in place for PvP WZs.

I think this idea would prove well in this game. Anyone have any thoughts or concerns or questions in regards to this suggestion, please post them below. Thanks and I hope someone at BW appreciates this idea and considers it, if others also agree with it as well.
IMPERIAL AGENT
Nodo/Yonder
Lobsters go PEENCH PEENCH
Prophecy of the Five

Yyrmega
01.07.2013 , 04:45 PM | #2
That is one of the things I miss the most from COH. I was really surprised to see that it wasn't available at launch.

Master_Nate
01.07.2013 , 04:47 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Yyrmega View Post
That is one of the things I miss the most from COH. I was really surprised to see that it wasn't available at launch.
Well now the game I am referring to is out there but yes this made my experience in COH so much better and it was a huge community building feature. Easier to ignore people globally and keep in touch with others who re-rolled on another server for fun or for whatever reason or if they were on their "villain" toon.

I simply loved it and really could not believe this game did not have something equivalent. I'm not saying this game needs something another MMO had but I do think this feature would be one the community would like if they saw it in action. Thanks for posting here though and glad someone else understood what I wrote!
IMPERIAL AGENT
Nodo/Yonder
Prophecy of the Five

SirCorith
01.09.2013 , 08:00 AM | #4
As Master Nate mentioned, a working global handle is not uncommon. Even Square Enix's Final Fantasy XI had that feature, and that game is over ten years old. And currently, Guild Wars II did a good job in making their version function at release. Also, Blizzard has done the same over the past few years.

A global handle would need to address the issue with the "ignore" list. As it is, if a player ignores a player, they must do for every characters they make. And with the new option to purchase new slots for addition characters, this is going to be come a task. Characters who places on a USER's ignore list are people that we want to avoid due to some sort of harassment in the past, show of poor manners, and other various reasons.

Furthermore, the principles of a global handle would not only help friends list, but, it would simplify the guild list. The global guild list would act slightly different in that it would only show the invite characters to the guild and condense them into one USER name. We all know most guilds do not have 100+ members when the reality is that it is 15 or so people with multiple characters. If the global handle was introduced, it would need to be consistent with how the guild handle would work. A global handle would also allow more quickly assign member privileges rather than needs to be reset by the leader each time. So, if you invited an existing members with status, the guild list would assign the same access level as their main character. Also, if a guild player was causing issues, it would allow all characters associated with that account to be demoted or removed at once. As it is now, it is manual.

Lastly, having a global handle will make it simpler to find your friends. I know people who have exceeded their friends list because there are not enough slots to fit their friends, with their friends who have multiple characters. It should not be a task to find friends nor should it be frustrating since the current does not always recognized that a player is online. There should be features to hide your online status, but, it should be optional, not due to a coding error.

MasterGladius
01.09.2013 , 09:10 AM | #5
/signed

RedBindi
01.09.2013 , 11:19 AM | #6
Agreed, the current friend system in game is very clunky and barely works right, not to mention having to add or ignore every single character someone makes.

Jedi_Thran_Kuro
01.10.2013 , 11:42 AM | #7
I agree it would be nice to have a fix for the friends' names issue (and so many other things that were handled as a matter of course by older premier label MMOs), but I'd prefer not to see an @global handle. I've seen them elsewhere and I find them clunky and immersion-breaking. Not to mention the fact that I know some have toons they don't want to be associated with their other toons, so, let's not forget player privacy and preference in the name of efficiency. After all, if a player wants you to know his alt's name, he'll tell you.

The real issue it seems to me is not the alt name of your friend, but the replication of your own list. If you play more than one toon, chances are you make friends on them. I think what is most needed is a legacy-shared friends list, that you can modify and view from any character on your legacy.

I also think the cap on the friends list needs to go waaaaaaaaay up.
Coruscanti Aegis - http://coruscantiaegis.guildlaunch.com

Rep Toons: Thran, Ooteenee, Andara, Ati-Tood, Janaara

Imp Toons: Arath, Smurfit, Akanei

Master_Nate
01.10.2013 , 12:27 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_Thran_Kuro View Post
I agree it would be nice to have a fix for the friends' names issue (and so many other things that were handled as a matter of course by older premier label MMOs), but I'd prefer not to see an @global handle. I've seen them elsewhere and I find them clunky and immersion-breaking. Not to mention the fact that I know some have toons they don't want to be associated with their other toons, so, let's not forget player privacy and preference in the name of efficiency. After all, if a player wants you to know his alt's name, he'll tell you.
I proposed an @global handle function in regards to both players have to accept in order to function how I described. Meaning, say you sent me an @global friend request, well I now know you want me to see all of your toons and don't care that I do, after all we are great friends and we WANT to keep track of each other, so I could whenever I wanted. This doesn't mean I have to send you mine if I didn't feel the same but odds are if our friendship got to this point, I would, who knows? As for player privacy, what I'm saying is you have to WILLINGLY agree to do this, therefore your privacy is secure.

It would also work with @global ignore in that you could ignore one toon who is did something you just do not like, if you globally ignore them, you'll never have to deal with them on any toon now or down the road, ever.

I mean for me personally, I've met 8-10 people, just rough estimate I'm sure there are more, I really enjoy just chatting with or teaming with and I would like to stay in contact with them no matter what. Sure, I've teamed with hundreds of folks and been in a few guilds, this isn't where I'm going with this. It is for those you DO want to interact with and not just associate with when you are online.

The @global isn't a bad thing in this sense. What if one of them quits the game for a while, then comes back on a new toon or a new server if things changed but can't remember my toons name or I had to change my toon do to another xfer or I'm on a different server? We wouldn't be able to connect with out this feature is what I'm getting at. It would just make it that much simpler. I left a game for 3 years and came back when it went F2P in hopes that some of the people were still playing. How do you think I was able to get back in touch with them? Through @global handle....

And I'm sorry, while I respect roleplayers and immersion, this is in no way breaking immersion, in my opinion,. I'd like some clarification to change my mind if you can. I'm open to all ideas.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_Thran_Kuro View Post
The real issue it seems to me is not the alt name of your friend, but the replication of your own list. If you play more than one toon, chances are you make friends on them. I think what is most needed is a legacy-shared friends list, that you can modify and view from any character on your legacy.
This really seems like the idea I'm proposing just with your own twist to it. You call it legacy....I'm going one step further for down the road type workarounds and calling it @global. The only difference is if someone wants to remain anonymous,with your system, they can. While this would be a good feature for this game it seems like a different concept and only server wide. I'm not saying they shouldn't do your idea as well, but my idea I am trying to suggest is GAME wide. People re-roll all the time or have RL friends on different servers...it happens all of the time.

After the initial server transfer, people had to change their name or make them with crazy letters. Even though I could reconnect with most of them, the people who left prior to that I would not know if they came back. I have since made more toons and they have no clue which one I am on, just the one they knew me on, which may not even be named the same anymore.

Quote: Originally Posted by SirCorith View Post
There should be features to hide your online status, but, it should be optional, not due to a coding error.
And yes, there are times I'd like to be able to hide but I cannot unfortunately. That would be a topic for another suggestion for sure and I thought about making that one too but didn't want to be told, "this is an mmo dude" because I do get that, however at times I like to just stay off the radar to a guild and do my own thing. Being a healer isn't all glam when you get on and you get hit up for it constantly. Yes, I can say I don't want to right now but we all know people get upset about this kind of behavior.
IMPERIAL AGENT
Nodo/Yonder
Prophecy of the Five

Sluggard
01.10.2013 , 02:42 PM | #9
I would love for this feature to be incorporated into the game!

Pwnied
01.10.2013 , 05:23 PM | #10
Consider me signed up, this is an awesome suggestion. =P