Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who said PvP in TOR sucks?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Who said PvP in TOR sucks?

-Holmes
01.07.2013 , 02:54 AM | #1
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/45118787/SWTOR/Capture.PNG

40,000 threads, totalling 720,000 posts.
17.5% of the (English)forum posts are related to PvP. It appears to be quite popular.

NathanielStarr
01.07.2013 , 03:18 AM | #2
Or has the most issues.

-Holmes
01.07.2013 , 03:20 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
Or has the most issues.
Issues or not, people PvP enough to ***** and complain about it. They all say they don't care about it anymore, but they always come back for more. As flawed and imbalanced as people claim it is, it's still fun.

Macroeconomics
01.07.2013 , 03:57 AM | #4
PvP in this game is a love/hate relationship.

Compared to PvP in most other MMOs, the PvP in this game involves more complex mechanics and is more rewarding to those executing technically correct strategies. Most hardcore PvP players love these aspects because they allow a lot of scope for player skill to determine who wins a battle.

But an unavoidable side effect of having a more complex PvP combat system is that new/low skill players face a difficult learning curve. That is why even with the gear gap in 1.6 being the smallest it has ever been in the history of this game, the actual performance gap between low and high skill players in warzones is as high as it ever has been.

Another side effect of the very complex PvP combat system is that the knowledge base of the devs when it comes to PvP class balance does not approach that of the best players. A typical dev may work 50 hours a week, but he probably spends less than 2 hours a day actually playing PvP. Compare this to the top PvP players who easily top 8 hours a day in warzones. If the ToR PvP combat system were very simplistic, this might not matter. But in this game, there is NO WAY a player who spends 1/4 as much time in warzones will be able to perceive the game as accurately as the more experienced observer.

Mixed into this brew is the lack of new PvP gameplay since ToR's launch. We have seen two new warzones since launch and this has been counterbalanced by the elimination of open world PvP. That is not an impressive "content add" for one year of time. Somewhat counterbalancing this is the fact that warzone PvP in ToR is less repetitive than in some other MMOs because of the combat system's complexity. All in all, I still think there is a lot of potential in ToR's PvP. It is simply frustrating that one year after launch we are still talking about "potential". At a certain point even the most intriguing draft pick has to perform.

ODTONE
01.07.2013 , 04:32 AM | #5
I do till they fix stun locks...
worst thing to happen ever to any pvp stun locks bah for wimps

tekhiun
01.07.2013 , 04:35 AM | #6
How many of these threads are "great job bioware, well done with ..." ?? Your logic fails there =)
Star Wars: Attack of the Cartel.

-Holmes
01.07.2013 , 04:41 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by tekhiun View Post
How many of these threads are "great job bioware, well done with ..." ?? Your logic fails there =)
I like PvP. I like it as it is. With all it's stun locks, OP classes, balance problems. You live with them and you overcome them. If PvP was really bad, then people wouldn't play, and if they did(and hated it), they wouldn't complain as much as they do, because in the end, you wouldn't complain about something you don't give a crap about.

ODTONE
01.07.2013 , 04:46 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by -Holmes View Post
I like PvP. I like it as it is. With all it's stun locks, OP classes, balance problems. You live with them and you overcome them. If PvP was really bad, then people wouldn't play, and if they did(and hated it), they wouldn't complain as much as they do, because in the end, you wouldn't complain about something you don't give a crap about.
alot of people eat at mcdonalds doesnt mean its good food lol
fine play your broken pvp and be happy...

Bodums
01.07.2013 , 04:46 AM | #9
Just to comment the thread.

I have played alot of pvp in diffrent mmo game and also fps and hero game...
Swtor got a new thing to bring into the pvp world. and thats the long channeltime on exp blasting a door or taking a objekt... 8 sec is a hell long time in pvp and that why tor bring new skill and way to think into a game...

But there is still alot to fix.. fx theres alot of gfx spikes and small lags inside a warzone. The ballance between the classes is total unballanced.. And when these things is fixxed i think it could be good to new player like me to open up for some kind of arena game for 2-5 player a time. Why that? cuz its a great way and pretty fun to lern other class and how to fight them.

And the last thing I wanna bring is my frustatrition on how bioware totally break the game in 1.6 by bringing the gear to new 50s... first of all you ding and are ready to do operation all whitout to have a change do know your class.
And now you can just run into a warzone and defend a base more easyly then before. you dont have the try to survie style because of the gear...

Just my eye on the things.

(Sry for the bad spelling)

-Holmes
01.07.2013 , 06:24 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ODTONE View Post
alot of people eat at mcdonalds doesnt mean its good food lol
fine play your broken pvp and be happy...
If you didn't play PvP as well, you wouldn't be on these forums. Broken as it is, you play it as well, and even if you hate the unbalance, all you do is come here and complain. Threaten to unsub, but you stay, because you've put too much effort to grind your gear, learn your class. You can't just leave it.

PvP may be broken, but not all broken items are unusable.