Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Constructive Feedback Upon the Three Healing Classes, from a Mercenary's Perspective

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Constructive Feedback Upon the Three Healing Classes, from a Mercenary's Perspective

Spoletta
01.09.2013 , 10:42 AM | #21
Yeah that's what i was thinking, for me the mercenary is actually missing it's role. The scoundrel is the highly mobile stealth healer, the sorc is the high utility healer, the merc...what? The sturdy healer? It's not covering enough that role right now. If he had some kind of interaction with being interrupted and CCd then he would gain a role and still be an original concept.

SpaniardInfinity
01.09.2013 , 02:36 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Spoletta View Post
Yeah that's what i was thinking, for me the mercenary is actually missing it's role. The scoundrel is the highly mobile stealth healer, the sorc is the high utility healer, the merc...what? The sturdy healer? It's not covering enough that role right now. If he had some kind of interaction with being interrupted and CCd then he would gain a role and still be an original concept.
Isn't that the root of the Commando/Mercenary AC problem? I feel like Bioware had an idea for the class and somewhere along the way they had to abandon it. It would explain why it was the only class that had no interrupt, it was the only healing-class without an in-combat revive, and the only healer who's cleanse couldn't heal.

Personally, I don't think Combat Medic/Bodyguard is all that broken. It could use a buff, yes. Mainly in utility and ammo management. In fact, I don't even think that an escape mechanic would be necessary if we had something which justified the weakness. That's why I have so much interest in making Tech Override a key ability for Commando/Mercenary in general. What is one of the AC's single biggest problems? The class is heavily reliant on casts and is easily shutdown because of it. Well the AC has a way of instantly casting a select ability on demand, but its on a terribly long cooldown (2 minutes) that most people don't even know it exists.

And what if instead of an escape, Commando/Mercenary got an ability which prevented enemies within a 20 meter-radius from using leaps for let's say 8 seconds? That alone would be a fair compromise for cover (and help establish some semblance of ranged superiority), could be a team utility that can be used both offensively and defensively, while also being an escape mechanic if you need it.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

PerinnAybara
01.10.2013 , 07:07 AM | #23
For all the comments about Merc having the best single target heals, honestly I don't actually believe that is completely true.

An operative rolling a dot, then throwing their comparative single target heals has greater single target healing capability then a mercenary. The advantage we have is an armor buff with healing scan, and how our healing scan also throws on a rolling healing dot. As for rapid scan, they have a restrung version of it that heals for the same base amount and same cast time. And comparing Emergency medpac, against Emergency scan, again they match up quite similarly. In fact the operative may actually win in the sub 30% range quite handily, when combining the surplus tactical advantage to keep someone at a healthy 40ish percent, with a couple free emergency scans when TA is low.

The nerfs they did to our healing output reduced our single target healing. Perhaps if they gave back our 2/4/6% bodyguard talent, and changed our heat management so we can go back to spamming healing scan during the supercharge cylinder time period we'd again have excellent single target healing. But as it is, to sustain healing, our single target healing is only so-so compared to the other healing AC's. We can burst heal someone up, but we'll pay for it in the long run, while an Operative and Sorcerer have ways of recovering.

Oh, and as for Kolto bomb. It is actually a pretty powerful heal. I've used it to get 900+ hps before, but that was utilizing it every 6 seconds and hitting 4 targets (3 warriors and me) at a time. It definitely could use some tweaking though, just like all other mercenary skills. Smart healing + increasing the radius would be nice. Especially with the buff + snare. Perhaps make critical efficiency add say 60% chance your next kolto bomb will crit. It would be pretty nice if we got some of those healing buff things that sorcs get with their innervate. (I know, I'm a copy cat) But a Mercenary can dream can't he?

Another suggestion would be to give overload, a 4 second immunity to leaps/pulls, and a short movespeed boost.
Character: Mathrim Cauthon, 50 Mercenary on Prophecy of the Five

PerinnAybara
01.11.2013 , 12:21 PM | #24
To give mercenary + mercenary healer some more utility, we could make their stealth scan root(i'm aware that it's a powertech tank talent) At least when those pesky marauders leap to us, and then we knockback, we can counter their stealth gap closer. Would definitely make mercenaries more unique and stronger against the classes(at least one) that tear us apart.

I like kolto bomb snare, however I feel it's not strong enough. 3 seconds at 50% means over 6 seconds (time to cast one kolto bomb) we slow them down 1.5 seconds worth of distance. Yet a powertech 30% snare ( over 6 seconds, the duration of one snare) slows us down 1.8 seconds. I'm thinking a 33% snare over 6 seconds would be nicer and better for us over the 50% 3 seconds.

What would also be cool utility wise, is that kolto bomb snare negated speed buffs like Transcendance, obliterate speed boost, and other speed boosts. I'm just throwing out constructive ideas out, and will keep doing so until, well until Mercenaries are in a good spot.

Perhaps make kolto bomb stronger if it's only healing fewer people, but overall greater when more people.

If 2 people, have a base heal of say, 2k each. If 3 people or more people, 1.5k. This I mean through the trauma debuff. So likely would be more in pve. Perhaps it could scale down to what it currently is at 4 people, and just be greater with fewer people. Or perhaps increase the kolto residue buff to 10% increased healing recieved and shorten the duration. 3% is pretty weak.

Would be nice if cleanse talent heal would heal for more, or perhaps allow us to cleanse force crush. Force crush is such a pain due to being the sole way of negating smash juggernauts. Also allow us to cleanse bubble stun! Or hell take cleanse off the gcd. We shouldn't be forced to choose between a heal and another cleanse. At least imo we shouldn't.

Make it so during energy shield, stuns last 50% less but build the same resolve. With the way stuns work now, it's much more difficult to get a white bar. Give us something like pooled darkness. Every time we're stunned our heal output is increased, or our damage reduction increases. Make it so we have elemental resistance talents. Make it so we have aoe damage reduction talents. Sorry, I'm just listing basically all the things i'm envious of. Make it so our Overload gives us a speed boost, or rocket punch, or tracer missile, or rail shot, or heat seekers. OR something.

Make it so our kolto bomb slows enemies but speeds up allies. Make it so our kolto bomb will aoe cleanse mental, or give us an ability that is an aoe cleanse mental/cleanse bubble stun. Let us set up healing stations which within a range gives us increased healing powers. Or some other buff. Make it so our healing scan buffs our allies power by 5-10%. Or speed. (that might actually be a good idea for arsenal with tracer lock)

Tracer lock now reduces the cooldown on healing scan by 20 % for each stack. Additionally, when healing scan is used with the assistance of tracer lock, movement speed is increased by 50% for 2 seconds. Or 30% movespeed boost for 2 seconds, and root immunity + root cleanse. (this would be nice for making supercharge gas cylinder very useful, and prevent the constant warrior root phenomena that we face.)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for today.

Wall of Text over 9000! (compared to 7000 on 5 enemies by our nemisis it's really not so bad)

PerinnAybara
01.16.2013 , 08:59 AM | #25
"TW: What do you believe has been your biggest struggle?

JH: We always try to do the right thing for the players, the team and the business, and it is a very thoughtful and difficult balancing act. Recently, we’ve seen an uptick in unfair and somewhat misinformed negative discussions surrounding our game – it is a struggle for the team to see their hard work and dedication greeted that way, and we have to remind the team that there are lots of people and players who really do appreciate all of their work and who love the game as much as we do."

This thread is an attempt to provide positive feedback in a form which shows I do appreciate the work done by the Developers, as well as show to what extent I actually do love this game. Honestly, I think another round of asking us for suggestions for each class in a controlled format would be a good exercise even if a lot of it would be negative. It would head off some of the negative feedback, and you could attempt to direct it toward a more positive note.

Some of the Changes suggested in this thread likely would have zero affect on pve, and be lauded in Pvp. Perhaps some of these can be made before Makeb! Perhaps even with a disclaimer that some of the buffs are only temporary. The people that still play mercenaries are extremely desperate that we'll take even welfare handouts here.

Sincerely,
Mathrim

Frostbyt
01.16.2013 , 11:01 AM | #26
I would like to see the damage mitigated from kolto bomb quantified in protection. I would suspect you would see some of the gap in healing made up by protection.

SpaniardInfinity
01.16.2013 , 11:28 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by PerinnAybara View Post
"TW: What do you believe has been your biggest struggle?

JH: We always try to do the right thing for the players, the team and the business, and it is a very thoughtful and difficult balancing act. Recently, we’ve seen an uptick in unfair and somewhat misinformed negative discussions surrounding our game – it is a struggle for the team to see their hard work and dedication greeted that way, and we have to remind the team that there are lots of people and players who really do appreciate all of their work and who love the game as much as we do."
This is somewhat of a shame. From someone who's done some level design and other creative work, seeing someone hate -- not critique but just genuinely hate -- you work is a terrible feeling, especially when you've put a piece of yourself into that endeavor. Reading the forums does seem to suggest the latter, but by that same token, some of it is to be expected. Still, rampant vitriol-spewing is no more constructive that Bioware's silence -- two wrongs do not make a right.

Which is why I'm glad you've made this post OP. It's a genuine attempt at trying to make each of the three healers capable of completing the content, competitive amongst each other (with their own strengths and weaknesses), while still making themselves unique. There really should be more discussions like this, and if the developers don't necessarily post in it, I'd sure hope they at least consider some of the ideas.

Here's to hoping that Bioware can start this year with a clean slate and make the changes that need to be made.

Also, as a side note Penny, Combat Medics can already cleanse bubble stuns (I believe it requires the Psych Aid talent, however).
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

PerinnAybara
01.18.2013 , 08:59 AM | #28
I know we could cleanse it back before they made the change where it doesn't break on damage. I'm not sure it counts as a mental stun now though. Will have to test and see.

I think sorcerer healers should get a similar talent to the tank classes, to reduce elemental damage by another additional 10%. Thus creating some diversity into the game, as well as balancing their light armor vulnerability to ranged and melee attacks, with a strength against things that normally bypass armor, elemental and internal classes. Additionally, if they change how bubble stun works, they should give something to sorcerers that doesn't increase their healing output, but gives them similar utility. Perhaps some sort of cleanse coupled with the bubble popping. (perhaps only one dot, as opposed to the active 2) That would really be painful for lethality, smash juggernauts and other dot classes though, so the balance would need to be tweaked. Perhaps an elemental and internal damage resist increase.

I think operative healers are really in a good spot at this time. If anything they could use a bit more stringent resources. I'm not exactly sure what if anything they really are lacking. Something they could get that would improve the class is more CC capabilities to tie into their class? I've heard that a large part of their role is cc'ing, as well as healing in rated warzones. It is what makes a good operative compare to an excellent operative.

As for mercenaries, this thread has plenty of thoughts on the matter. Something unique to mercenaries, tying into their original strength, would be another damage reduction buff tied into our casts of rapid scan. Every time we cast it, we'd get another stack, reducing the damage we take by say 2%, stacking up to 5 times and lasting say 20 seconds. Honestly speaking, I really really want the arsenal terminal velocity talent. Additionally I think it would be better if the 30 stack boost of healing output for support cylinder was just a flat healing boost. The cylinder charges aren't used as situation-ally anymore due to our ammo and heat constraints.

Spoletta
01.18.2013 , 09:11 AM | #29
Operatives have their stenghts and their limits. As an operative i appreciate both, don't change it. This class is in the perfect position right now.

Also +1 for the area leap immunity defensive cd on the mercs. It's original, works and does not affect pve.

PerinnAybara
01.19.2013 , 11:10 AM | #30
Operatives healers are in a great/perfect position. However that is a problem for Mercenaries since we compete with them for spots as the Tech healer. As long as they can do everything better then a mercenary, including sustained survival, noone would ever bring a mercenary over an operative. In otherwords, something needs to change.

My suggestions are basically to do what they did in 1.1, where they brought up the operative level. They need to bring up Mercenary healing to match up with Operatives. At least from a practical standpoint for class balance. Either that or, they'd have to reduce the healing output of operatives and sorcerers to match the stringent resource pool that Mercenaries have access to.