Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is crafting good for making cash? If so, what ones?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Is crafting good for making cash? If so, what ones?

SoSickMinded
01.05.2013 , 07:17 PM | #1
I'm fairly new to the game (I've only been playing for a week or so) and I'm curious as to what crafting skills are good for making money and how.
I've tried asking in fleet and everyone gives me the same response of "skills are useless now"... is this true or are they just trying to keep the new players out of the loop? I'm not wanting to make millions, but I'd like to be able and make enough to keep my toons in good gear.
"The Force is strong with this one."
Ci'dor Sith Juggernaut:
SoSickMinded Jedi Sentinel
Ci'kinr Sith Assassin

KCMChief
01.05.2013 , 07:41 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by SoSickMinded View Post
I'm fairly new to the game (I've only been playing for a week or so) and I'm curious as to what crafting skills are good for making money and how.
I've tried asking in fleet and everyone gives me the same response of "skills are useless now"... is this true or are they just trying to keep the new players out of the loop? I'm not wanting to make millions, but I'd like to be able and make enough to keep my toons in good gear.
I have made great money sending my companions out for crafting materials. Mandalorian Iron (Grade 6 Underworld material), Zal Alloy (Grade 6 Scavaged Material), and Terenthium (Grade 1 Underworld Material) sell very fast.
The Force is not with me, my ex took it in the divorce.

SoSickMinded
01.05.2013 , 08:49 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by KCMChief View Post
I have made great money sending my companions out for crafting materials. Mandalorian Iron (Grade 6 Underworld material), Zal Alloy (Grade 6 Scavaged Material), and Terenthium (Grade 1 Underworld Material) sell very fast.
I didn't expect the gathering skills to be good cash I figured they'd be nearly worthless and that one of the actual crafting skills would be needed for a good profit, thanks for the tip.
"The Force is strong with this one."
Ci'dor Sith Juggernaut:
SoSickMinded Jedi Sentinel
Ci'kinr Sith Assassin

Holinyx
01.06.2013 , 02:15 AM | #4
go Slicing, Scavenging, Underworld Trading (metals)
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

uniz
01.06.2013 , 11:22 AM | #5
you are going to get several different answers to this question and it will depend on how you play the game.

if your intentions are to play only one toon or two and not have any alts then slicing with two gathering skills can be ok. but remember this. most of the players who have all the crew skills like myself with several alts dont buy mats from the gtn. we can easily get our own. however i am sure someone out there will buy your stuff in a few days or so if priced reasonably

you can make credits with any of the crew skills but it takes some trial and error especially if one is new to it. one must keep a eye on what is selling, when it is selling and for how much. also you need to know your competition. it is a mini game in and of itself.

also remember to take into account the ability to make stuff for yourself and your alts as it can be done cheaper than buying it from the gtn. so you will save credits (or earn them back) if you are going to have several alts. you can still sell items on the gtn for credits too.

hopefully i gave you some information to aid you in your decision and not confuse you more.

biguydeadd
01.06.2013 , 01:17 PM | #6
I've levelled 4 toons now with cyber/armourmech/bio and one other with all gathering skills.

Although for me those 3 are very usefull at gearing my toons up until they hit 50,they don't make me much money with the finished product(considering the extra time to make the products that sell)if i'm not making anything to wear myself,i find it easier,quicker,less of a hassel and more profitable to just sell my materials.

Bugs me that most items materials equal up to the price of the finished product,really does make the end action of crafting worthless.

In saying that,i do make a minor profit from selling lower level purples and augmentations(when i can be bothered to craft them)

I don't raid(cause of the fps issues i have) so i have no chance of aquiring those schematics or items that can allow me to learn the top items of each profession,so i can't say if that's profitable

Webalienz
01.06.2013 , 02:06 PM | #7
It wasn't until about 3-4 days ago that I really started concentrating on crafting. I've got 6 characters, with every crafting skill covered except Synthweaving (I did have Synthweaving on one, but dropped it to pick up Biochem, since he's a tank and the reusable stims and med packs are very nice to have.)

To add (and probably repeat some of) what others have said, here's some things that I've learned along the way this past week:

- For blue, and especially purple crafted items, make sure the cost of mats is not greater than the cost of the made item.

I have some purple recipes with my Cybertech, but a lot of them I can make more money selling the individual Underworld purple mats than I would if I used them to craft something.

- Unless you're not going to be logging in for a couple of days, set all of your sales to 1d.

I say this because the market changes very quickly, and you can't make any credits if you have items that are overpriced, but not set to expire for another day. I was making a really good amount of credits from selling some low-level blue enhancements with my Artifice one day. So I went ahead and made a bunch more and listed them before going to bed (also checking the prices to make sure that I was still the lowest priced, while still not losing any money on materials). I dreamed I would have riches in my inbox the next day.

Well, other crafters saw that I was selling them for more than what the next level higher was going for and they got the same idea I did. I logged in the next day and I had only sold one or two. I go look on GTN, and the price had dropped 3k credits from what I had mine listed as, and it was now saturated with them.

Since I had listed them for 2d, my choices were that I could either pull them (and lose my deposit), or wait until they expired (which is what I did). If I had listed them for 1d, I could have re-listed them the next day at the lower price (which still would have netted me a profit, though clearly not as much as what I had made with them.)

- Diversify. Don't just make one thing.

Unless you're making 26/27 hilts, barrels, and relics, don't just rely on making one thing. With my example above, I now have a cargo hold of enhancements of the same level because the market for them is really oversaturated.....for now. So look through and see what levels of items don't have many listed and go craft. Of course, other crafters will probably be doing the same, but you'll hopefully get a few sales before everyone else catches on.

- Don't try to ALWAYS be the lowest priced.

When I see a list of items where there are 3-4 items going for 2-3k, and then the rest going for 8+k, I'll price mine more towards the 8+k price range. Those 3-4 items will be gone pretty quickly, only leaving the 8+k left to choose from.

- Green items do sell.

When I was gearing up my alts (before I could make everything for each other), I always looked for blue and purple items. But people do buy green. Case in point - My Cybertech was able to sell green lvl 9 and 11 armorings for 800-1000 a piece. The cost of desh and silica is cheap (especially if you just send your crew out on missions to get them).

- Don't expect too much until you can start deploying more than three crew members at a time.

I think some people don't give crafting too much of a chance because until you get some other crew members, crafting while trying to level your character up can be slow going. But once you've got four companions and you can send three of them out on missions, things definitely begin to pick up.

wargonglok
01.06.2013 , 02:26 PM | #8
i make a ton with armstech, makign overkill augs 22, for a new player i recommend cybertech or biochem though for ease of lvling
Sniper, 'nough said

Spoletta
01.06.2013 , 03:41 PM | #9
All crew skills can make big creds. The main part of the game for me is to get as most rich as possible using only schematics that don't come from operations.
Right now i'm at 40 milions and i don't do dailyes.

Dabrixmgp
01.06.2013 , 04:38 PM | #10
Dont bother with a crafting profession. That might have worked when there were more servers and less competition. But now that everyone is on like 5 servers theres too many people crafting and sometimes items hardly sell for the price of mats. Take up Bioanlysis for sure. Can farm Mutegenic paste in Section X or whatever its called as all the animals near the daily area can be harvested and that stuff goes for 1k-1500 a piece. Id also take scavenging or archaeology as your second and then slicing as your 3rd. Only do rich yield rank 5 missions. Theres 2 of them and they crit quite often and give you 340 missions. Or you could take Diplomacy and sell Radioactive paste. Goes for 8k a piece of my server. Can also get purple rank 5 companion gifts, which again go for sometimes 12-15k a piece or more.

I have tried making credits with cybertech selling armorings,mods, and earpieces and also artifice selling hilts and enhancements but it just wasnt worth the time and effort. Its easier to just send 5 companions out to gather stuff while you do WZs or dailies.